corner header home search engine what's new
sidebar USGenWeb Project photos tools histories databases archives about us WIGenWeb Project
Histories:  Trempealeau Co. Historical Accounts:

"History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881":

Biographical Sketches of Arcadia Residents


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

WM. W. BARNES, Chairman of Town Board of Arcadia; was born on Long Island, at Cold Spring Harbor, May 17, 1838; removed to Wisconsin in September, 1856, and first lived at Black River Falls, Jackson County, where he was engaged, first at lumbering and then as pilot on the Mississippi; here he was married in the fall of 1857 to Miss Olive A. Nettleton, a native of New York State. In the spring of 1879 Mr. Barnes moved to Arcadia, which has since been his home; his family consists of two children-Zue and Olive; he has been a member of the Village Board ever since it was organized; was a sailor on the Atlantic Ocean for five years, and was at one time second mate, and at another, supercargo of merchantman.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1055

+++++

JOHN W. BLAISDELL, proprietor of the Mineral Springs Hotel at Arcadia; was born in Wyoming Co., N. Y., March 9, 1830; he first came to Wisconsin in 1849, locating in Fond du Lac County, where he lived for two years; then returned to New York State, where he learned the miller's trade; then came back to Wisconsin and engaged at milling in Waupun for nine years; then went to Oshkosh; from there to Fond du Lac, and then back to Waupun, where, in February, 1865, he enlisted in the Co. D, 50th Wis. Vol. Infty., serving until January, 1866. After the war he returned to Juneau Co., Wis., where he followed milling until 1876; he then removed to Arcadia, and engaged at the lumbering business, which he continued until January, 1881, at which time he purchased the hotel, of which he is now proprietor. The hotel is one of the largest and best in the county. It is supplied with the Arcadia Mineral Springs water, and has suitable accommodations for summer tourists.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," pages 1055 & 1056

+++++

WILLIAM BOORMAN, farmer, Sec. 4, P. O. Arcadia; was born Jan. 28, 1830, in England; remained there until twelve years of age, when he came to America with his parents in 1842, and lived with them on a farm near Chicago. His father died when he was seventeen years old, and as he was the oldest of the family he took charge of the farm; in 1853 he moved into the city of Chicago, where he was married the same year to Miss Elizabeth Orckly, and afterward moved to Jersey Co., Ill., where he farmed until 1855, at which time his mother died; he then came to Wisconsin and settled on a farm in La Crosse County, on what is known as the Brice Prairie, where he lived until 1865, and then came to Trempealeau County.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1056

+++++

ISAAC A. BRIGGS, M. D., farmer and stock dealer, P. O. Arcadia; was born in Windsor Co., Vt., April 20, 1816; came West with his parents when sixteen years of age, and lived with them in Kalamazoo Co., Mich., where he went to school, intending to educate himself as a physician; he continued there until 1852, at which time he came to Green Lake Co., Wis., where he practiced his profession for eight years; in 1860 he came to Trempealeau County, and settling on the farm where he now lives, has practiced his profession in connection with farming. Dr. Briggs has held the office of Town Assessor and Justice of the Peace in the village of Arcadia, and is an active worker in the M. E. Church; he was married in 1844 to his first wife, Miss Caroline Tyrell, of Michigan, who died in 1849; in the year 1851 was married the second time to Miss Elizabeth Briggs, of Vermont, by whom he has four children-Warren S., Della C., Harry A. and Asa G.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1056

+++++

DANIEL C. DEWEY, farmer, Sec. 33, P. O. Arcadia; was born in Delaware Co., N. Y., April 16, 1828, being the son of Aaron and Dolly Dewey, the former, a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of New York; his father was a soldier in the war of 1812. The subject of this sketch first came to Wisconsin in 1847 and entered a quarter section of land in Dodge County, on which he lived for four years and then sold out and went back to New York, he remaining there five years, and was married in the meantime to Josephine Trumbull, who was born in New York; in 1859 they moved to Wisconsin and settled on the farm where they now live. Mr. Dewey was elected Chairman of the Town Board of Arcadia in 1861, and in 1862 he entered the army and served nine months as Sergeant in the 30th Wis., Co. C, Infty. Vol.; he was then disabled for further service, and being discharged he returned home. He has been Assessor in his town for two terms, and is an active worker and member of the M. E. Church, and also a member of the A., F. & A. M., Arcadia Lodge No. 201.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1056

+++++

JOHN M. FERTIG, of the firm of Fugina Bros. & Fertig, dealers in general merchandise at Arcadia, and proprietor of the brewery at the same place, was born in Germany, Jan. 28, 1852. He came with his brother to America in 1868, and stayed in Baltimore, Md., for two years, and, in 1870, came to Buffalo County, Wis., where he clerked for J. and M. Fugina, merchants. In the spring of 1875, he came to Arcadia, where he became a partner of the above firm and erected the brick block, where they now do business, in the year 1878, it being the largest brick business block in the county. He became connected with the brewery at Arcadia in 1880, and now runs it in connection with his other business. It has a capacity for making 1,000 barrels of beer per year, and was the second brewery in the county. Mr. Fertig is a member of the Village Board. The firm of Fugina Bros. & Fertig do an annual business of from $35,000 to $50,000.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1056

+++++

JAMES GAVENEY, Postmaster at Arcadia, and farmer, Sec. 5; was born April 5, 1825, in Ireland. In 1850, he came to America, first living in Mineral Point, Wis., where he worked at mining for two years, and then went by the overland route to California, where he remained for five years mining, and, in 1857, returned to Wisconsin and made Arcadia his home. Mr. Gaveney owns nearly 1,000 acres of land in Trempealeau County, and is also a partner of N. D. Comstock in the Independence Flouring-Mills. He has held various offices in his town, and has been a member of the Masonic Fraternity since 1854. He was married in 1860 to Miss Mariah M. Briggs, who is a native of Vermont.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1056

+++++

OLIVER A. HEGG, farmer, Sec. 5; P. O. Independence; was born in Norway, March 1, 1842. He came with his parents to America in 1842, first living at Blue Mounds, Dane Co., on a farm, where he remained until 1861, when he enlisted in Company K, W. V. I., and served throughout the war, being promoted to First Lieutenant in October, 1864. He was married while home on a furlough to Miss Jane M. Anderson, who was born in Norway. After being mustered out of service, he returned to Dane County and farmed until 1869, when he moved to Trempealeau County, where he took up a soldiers' claim of 160 acres in the town of Arcadia, and was one of the first settlers in his neighborhood. He has been engaged ever since in farming and teaching school during the winters, having taught the same school ever since the district was organized, up to the present date. He has been a member of the Board of Supervisors of Arcadia for two years, also Chairman one year. Has a family of five children-Mariah; Ellen E., Amanda, Clarence B. and Idah J.; one son, Gabriel, who died March 5, 1881.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1056

+++++

GEORGE N. HIDERSHIDE, physician and surgeon at Arcadia, was born in Brussels, Belgium, June 13, 1849. Left there in 1857 with his parents and came to America, where he located with them on a farm in Winona Co., Minn.; he then went to live with an English family to learn the English language, and, after being with them thirteen months, he returned home and went the to District school until 1866, he then attended the Winona Normal School for three years, and was a graduate of the class of 1869; he then began reading medicine under Dr. G. F. Whitherell, of Lyons, Iowa. After two years' study, his health failed and he returned home and engaged in the farm machinery business for one year, he then attended the Louisville Medical College and graduated there in 1875, and, in the same year, came to Trempealeau County, where he entered into partnership with Dr. F. L. Lewis. After practicing with him for one year, they dissolved partnership, and Dr. Hidershide has since practiced alone in the town of Arcadia. He is a member of the Northwestern Medical Society, and also of the American Medical Society.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1056

+++++

IVER JACOBSON, Under Sheriff of Trempealeau Co., Arcadia, was born in Norway July 25, 1851. He came to the United States with his parents in 1871, and first located with them in Waupun, but after remaining there one year they removed to Vernon Co., where the subject of this sketch attended school during winters, and during summers he clerked for Mons Anderson & Co., and other parties, in the city of La Crosse. During the year 1875 he ran a branch store for the above firm in that place. In 1876 he was a candidate for City Clerk in La Crosse, but was defeated by 140 votes, and in 1878-79 was Under Sheriff under Halstead. He was married in the spring of 1879, to Miss Julia M. M. Mills, of Arcadia, and in July of the same year he moved to Arcadia, where he has since been engaged with Seth Mills reading law. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., La Crosse Lodge, No. 190, and also of the I. O. O. F., Riverside Lodge, No. 192.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1056

+++++

CHARLES A. LEITH, son of John Kenneth Leith, Adjutant of the 12th British Infantry, was born in Plymouth, England, Nov. 14, 1842. He received a classical education at the grammar school in Kingsbridge, Devonshire, England, and in 1860 emigrated to the United States and settled in Trempealeau Co., Wis. His first occupation was that of a farmer, but he soon found that his physical nature was not well adapted to the business. He then apprenticed himself to learn the printing business, commencing as a printer's "devil," he passed through all the gradations and vicissitudes incident to the attainment of a full knowledge of the "art preservative." In January, 1864, he enlisted in the 1st Wis. Battery of Horse Artillery, and served until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. Returning once more to the stick and rule, he soon purchased a half interest in the Galesville Transcript, and since that period has published and owned several newspapers, and is at present owner and publisher of the Trempealeau County Republican and Leader, the leading paper in the county, published at Arcadia. In April, 1866, he married Miss Martha Gale, of Galesville, Wis., and soon after moved from that place to Trempealeau, Wis., where he now resides. Mr. Leith has held several minor offices of trust, and among them was that of Assistant Assessor of Internal Revenue, for three years, for the counties of Trempealeau, Buffalo, Clark and Jackson. Politically, Mr. Leith has always been a Republican, but one of the Conservative order; has taken a great interest in county politics and is one of the leaders of the party in that county.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," pages 1056 - 1057

+++++

DAVID MASSUERE, proprietor of the Arcadia Flouring Mills, Arcadia; was born Aug. 27, 1816, in Coos Co., N. H., being the son of Lewis and Rachael Massuere of that place. Left home in 1835, and went to Massachusetts, where he worked at shoe-making for seventeen years. In 1852, at the time of the great mining excitement, went to California, where he followed mining for three years, returning to Massachusetts in the year 1855. He came to Wisconsin in 1856, and located in Winnebago Co., where he bought a farm of 350 acres from the Government, which he farmed for four years; and, in 1860, came to Arcadia, which has since been his home. He has been a member of the Town Board for three terms, and of the School Board five years. He owns one-third interest in the general merchandise store of Massuere & Co.; and, in 1871, erected the Arcadia Flouring Mill, which has a run of two buhrs and a large custom. In 1876, the mill was damaged by a flood to the amount of $1,200, but it has been repaired. He was married, in 1843, to Miss Susan Carlis, of Massachusetts, by whom he has four children-Lewis, who is a resident of Arcadia, and served four years in the war in the 3d Wisconsin Battery; Susan E., now Mrs. Henry Proctor, of Texas; Wilbur P. and Ella, now Mrs. Frederick Robinson, of Arcadia.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1057

+++++

ALBRO C. MATTERSON, blacksmith and farmer, in old town of Arcadia; was born in New York, Jan. 12, 1820. He came to Wisconsin in the year 1843, first locating in Washington Co., where he lived for six years. In 1849, he moved to Richland Co., where he remained four years, working one year in the lead mine. In the spring of 1857, he came to Arcadia, and built the first blacksmith-shop in that town, near where Miller's flouring mills now stands, and has worked at his trade and farming ever since. He was married, May 25, 1843, in New York, to Miss Charlotte Broughton, by whom he has six children - Adiolina, now Mrs. B. Matherson; Malvina A., now Mrs. I. Roe; Harvey; Mariah, now Mrs. George Nistey; James and Seward.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1057

+++++

SETH MILLS, attorney and counselor at law, residence Arcadia, was born in New York, July 2, 1831. Living there until he was eight years old, he came with his parents to Michigan and remained there until 1849, receiving a common school education. He began teaching when only seventeen years of age. In 1849 he removed to Wisconsin, first going to Dodge Co., where he continued teaching. He commenced reading law in the office of E. P. Smith, at Beaver Dam, in 1866, and in 1878 and '79 he attended the Madison Law School. He was admitted to the bar in the State Federal Court, June 19, 1879. He came at once to Arcadia and began practicing his profession. He enlisted in the U. S. Veteran Vol. Engineers in 1865, serving until the close of the war. Mr. Mills was married in 1852, at Beaver Dam, to Miss Prudence L. Swarthout, a native of New York. Mr. Mills was engaged nearly all of the early part of his life in teaching, having taught for thirty terms in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. He was Principal of the Mazeppa Graded School in the latter State for two years.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1057

+++++

JOHN MAURER, of the firm of Bohri Bros. & Maurer, dealers in general merchandise at Arcadia; was born in Switzerland, July 6, 1832. In the year 1855, he came to America, and first located at Fountain City, Buffalo Co., Wis. After remaining there one year, he moved on a farm in Waumandee Valley, Buffalo Co., consisting of 220 acres, which he bought from the Government. Here he remained until 1864, at which time he moved back to Fountain City, where he kept a hotel known as the Eagle House. After running this for ten years, he sold out, and, in 1874, was appointed Postmaster of Fountain City, which position he resigned on account of poor health in the spring of 1875, and moved to Arcadia, his present home. He was Chairman of the town of Fountain City; also Treasurer and County Supervisor of the same place, beside a number of other offices. He was married, July 5, 1855, in Milwaukee, to Miss Catherine Moss, who was a native of the same country as himself.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1057

+++++

NICHOLAS MUELLER, carpenter and builder, Arcadia, is a native of Germany, and was born in August, 1848; came with his parents in 1856 to America, living first in Ozaukee Co., near Port Washington, on a farm. In 1860 they moved to Buffalo Co., near Fountain City. In 1866 the subject of this sketch went to Winona, Minn., where lie bought a hotel, known as the Wisconsin House. This he managed for a year and then learned the carpenter's trade, which he has followed ever since; in 1874 came to Arcadia where he worked at his trade, having twelve men in his employ, for four years. During that time he built the Arcadia Planing Mill, of which he sold his interest in the spring of 1881. He has held the office of Town Supervisor, and also been one of the Trustees in the town of Arcadia; he was married in 1873 to Miss Mary Schaffer, of Arcadia; they have three children-Maggie, John and Henry.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1057

+++++

JOHN C. MUIR, dealer in grain and farm machinery, at Arcadia, was born in Norwickshire, Scotland, July 29, 1844; he came with his parents to America in the year 1853, and settled in Pennsylvania, where they remained but one year, when they moved to Maryland, and the next year, 1855, to West Virginia, and in the fall of the same year to Tennessee; here they remained but a short time, and in the spring of 1856 came to Buffalo Co., Wis., and located in what is now known as town of Glencoe; his father was one of the first settlers in that town, and entered 160 acres of land. The subject of this sketch remained at home until 1864, when he went to Indiana, where he enlisted in the 146th Ind. Vol. Inf, Co. B, and served until the close of the war; he then went to Chicago, where he attended the Eastman Commercial College, from which he graduated in June, 1866; then returned home, where he remained until 1874, when he went into partnership with G. H. Krumbick, of Fountain City, Buffalo Co., in the grain and farm machinery business; he afterward moved to Arcadia, where he continued to run the business with his partner until Nov. 1, 1880; he then bought out Mr. Krumbick's interest, and now manages the business alone; he was one of the Trustees of Arcadia when the village was organized.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1057

+++++

CHARLES EDGAR PERKINS, County Clerk and Abstracter of Trempealeau Co., residence Arcadia, was born in Hartland, Vt., July 21, 1821; here he received a common school education, and afterward taught in Lamoille Co., and then commenced reading law in the office of the Hon. Luke P. Poland, of Morrisville, Vt.; he was married April 2, 1848, to Mary B. Stearns, at Johnston, Vt., and in 1856 came with his family to Galesville, Trempealeau Co., where he made his home until 1877; he was here elected Register of Deeds in 1858, 1862 and 1864, holding that office six years; was also Justice of the Peace from 1858 to 1868, and in 1871 was appointed Clerk of Circuit Court, continuing so four years, during which time he made an abstract of title of the county of Trempealeau; he was elected County Judge in 1874, occupying that position until January of 1881, and in November, 1880, was elected to his present office. Their family consists of five children; the oldest, Laura Ann, was born in Lowell, Mass., in 1849, and is now the wife of H. R. Gale, editor of the Republican-Gazette at Willmar, Minn.; the next two children, George Henry and Isabel Lucretia, were born in Morrisville, Vt., the former in 1851, the latter in 1853; George H. has been Register of Deeds in Jackson Co. four years, and Isabel L. is now the wife of S. A. Walker; the two last children were born in Galesville, Wis., in 1858 and 1867, and are named respectively Hattie Maria and Merton Nathan.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," pages 1057 - 1058

+++++

SETH PUTNAM, dealer in drugs and stationery, Arcadia; was born March 8, 1832, in Peacham, Vermont. In 1856, he left his native State and went to Ohio, where he worked at his trade (that of millwright) for two years, and then removed to Ozaukee Co., Wis. Here he remained until 1861, when he enlisted in Co. I, 2d W. V. C., and served until the close of the war; then came to Jackson Co., Wis., and worked at his trade until 1872, and then removed to Merrillan, where he engaged in the hardware business in company with L. G. & B. H. Merrill; he continued there until 1874, when he came to Arcadia. During the first year of his residence here, he ran a hardware store in partnership with the above firm, it being the first hardware store in the village; and in the spring of 1875, he sold out his share and bought in a drug store with Dr. F. L. Lewis. In March, 1877, the building which they occupied was destroyed by fire and he removed to the store where he now is and started in business by himself. Mr. Putnam has been chairman of the Town Board of Arcadia, also Treasurer of the same and has been Director of the school district ever since he became a citizen here; he was a charter member of the Arcadia Lodge, No. 201, Masonic Order, and was the first Master of said lodge and has held that office up to date, with the exception of one year.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1058

+++++

AUSTIN E. SMITH, proprietor of grain elevator and dealer in farm machinery, at Arcadia; came to Trempealeau County in 1872; he is the son of Augustus Smith, of Walworth Co., Wis., and was born there April 28, 1841. His father was one of the oldest settlers in that county and came there in 1834 from Massachusetts. The subject of this sketch was formerly in partnership with his father in the grain business in Buffalo County, but when the Green Bay Railroad was built through Arcadia, he came there and established his present business; and his was the first firm that bought grain in this village. He handled 75,000 bushels of grain one season. He has been a member of Village Board and in the spring of 1881, was elected President of the same. He was married in January, 1871, to Miss Lucy E. Fowler, the daughter of Samuel Fowler, one of the oldest settlers in Walworth County; they have two children, Leander F. and Lottie E.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1058

+++++

REV. M. C. WERNER, present minister of the Trempealeau County Circuit of the Evangelical Association, was born in Germany, March 14, 1848; left his native country in 1853 and came with his parents to Wisconsin, locating first in the town of Ellington, Outagamie County, where he received a common school education, and then attended the Appleton College; afterward going to the Northwestern College at Plainfield, Il. He entered the ministry in 1861, and was ordained deacon at Racine in 1871, by Bishop Escher; in 1873, was ordained elder, in Dodge County, by the same Bishop. His first mission was in Shawano County, where he remained one year, and then labored in other places, until the spring of 1881, when he took charge of his present circuit, which consists of five churches at different places, Arcadia, Home, Independence, Tamarack and Fountain City, the latter place being in Buffalo County.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1058

+++++

ANTON ZELLER, harness shop, Arcadia; was born in Germany, July 15, 1821. When ten years of age, he came to America with his parents, who located first in Jefferson Co., Ky., upon a farm. They lived there eight years and then moved to Hanson County; here Anton remained until 1862, when he came to Buffalo Co., Wis., where he farmed for two years. In 1864, he started a harness shop, which he ran until 1879, and during that time, held the office of Supervisor in the town of Waumandee for three terms. In 1879, moved to Arcadia and established his present business.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1058




f-trempealeau
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.

DISCLAIMER:   No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters.   The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry.   Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners.  Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents.  Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility  to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
____________________________________________________________
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
wigenwebcc
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000