corner header home search engine what's new
sidebar USGenWeb Project photos tools histories databases archives about us WIGenWeb Project
Histories:  Trempealeau Co. Historical Accounts:

"History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881":

Manufacturing in Arcadia

-As transcribed from page 1054


W. P. Massuere & Co.'s flouring mills, located in Old Arcadia, are the pioneer mills of the town, having been erected in 1860, at a cost of $2,000. In 1873, the mills were destroyed by an overflow, entailing a loss of $5,000, but rebuilt the same year, and operations resumed in the spring of 1874. They are supplied with two run of stone, with a capacity of 200 bushels daily, and represent a valuation of $7,000.

Miller & Bears' mills, located at a distance of two miles from the village, were erected in 1872, and have since been continuously operated. In 1874, the present owners purchased the enterprise for $6,000, and conduct their purchase as a custom mill. The mills are supplied with two run of stone and are capable of grinding 100 bushels daily.

The Arcadia Woolen Mills were begun in the spring of 1876, by Dyke, Allen & Co., but completed during the same year, at a cost of $5,000. Four hands are employed, at a weekly compensation of $30, when the enterprise is operated to its full capacity, producing an annual revenue of $7,500. The goods are sold in Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin, and the investment is said to be valued at $7,000.

Arcadia Brewery, situated at some distance from the village, in an easterly direction, were erected in 1876, by Bion & Co., at a cost of $7,000, who carried on the business of manufacturing beer until the spring of 1881, when the establishment became the property of J. M. Fertig. The brewery possesses a capacity for manufacturing 1,500 barrels of beer annually, and are valued at about $10,000.

In addition to these, it may be here stated, the village contains three elevators; W. P. Massuere & Co.'s and A. E. Smith & Co.'s, both erected in 1873, and each with a capacity of 2,000 bushels, and that of J. C. Muir, erected in 1874, and capable of holding 8,000 bushels. The shipping of grain in Arcadia is done through these agencies and amounts to 250,000 bushels annually.

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.

DISCLAIMER:   No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters.   The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry.   Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners.  Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents.  Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility  to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000