corner header home search engine what's new
sidebar USGenWeb Project photos tools histories databases archives about us WIGenWeb Project
Histories:  Trempealeau Co. Historical Accounts:

"History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881":

Religion in Arcadia

-As transcribed from pages 1054 - 1055


RELIGIOUS.

The organization of Methodist Episcopal society was perfected in 1857, under the auspices of an itinerant minister of the Wesleyan faith, with Collins Bishop, Anna Bishop, Narcissa Robertson and Rhoda Shelley, as the constituent members. Services were conducted at the residences of members until an increase in the members of the congregation required more extensive quarters, when the schoolhouse was secured and appropriated to their uses. This was continued until 1876, when preparations looking to the erection of a house of worship, meanwhile in progress, took shape, and resulted in the building of the present edifice, which was completed during that year at a cost of $5,000. It is of frame, of a quaint Elizabethan order of architecture, handsomely finished, and with accommodations for a congregation of 500 persons. Since 1857, the society has increased in members and now has a roster of forty communicants.

The value of church property is stated at $6,000.

The Evangelical Association, composed of Germans, was organized in November, 1875, under the direction of the Rev. J. P. Field, and with twenty members. Immediately upon the completion of its organization the society contracted for the erection of a church, which was begun the same year, and finished during the spring of 1876. The church is 20x30, of frame, with capacity for an audience of 300, and cost $700, completed and furnished. The present membership numbers thirty, and is under the pastorate of the Rev. M. C. Werner.

For some years the Baptist Society was active in Arcadia, where it still has a frame church edifice. But a combination of circumstances caused its disorganization, and at present its influence is quiescent.

In addition to the above, there are two Catholic Churches in the town, one Polish and one German, at which services are regularly held.
 



f-trempealeau
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.

DISCLAIMER:   No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters.   The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry.   Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners.  Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents.  Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility  to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
____________________________________________________________
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
wigenwebcc
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000