corner header home search engine what's new
sidebar USGenWeb Project photos tools histories databases archives about us WIGenWeb Project
Histories:  Trempealeau Co. Historical Accounts:

"History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881":

Biographical Sketches of Independence Residents


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.


HANS S. AUSTIN, head clerk in H. E. Gett's Branch Store, Independence; was born in Norway Dec. 10, 1853; came to America with his parents in 1854, they settling on a farm in Dane Co., Wis.; here he remained with them until 1873, when he went to the town of Burnside, where he taught school for six terms, and then bought a farm in Bennet Valley, which he run for two years; he came to Independence in 1877, and started a hotel, at which he continued for two years; he was then appointed Constable, and still holds that position; he took charge of Mr. Gett's store in March, 1881. Mr. Austin is a member of the Lutheran Church, and was married, Feb. 25, 1880 to Miss Mary Gilbert.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1068

+++++

GILES CRIPPS, farmer, Sec. 12 ; P. O. Independence; is a native of England, and was born Nov , 1833; came with his parents to America at the age of three years; they first settled in Madison Co., N. Y., where they remained until 1843, at which time they came West, landing at Milwaukee; they went on a farm in Waukesha Co., where they remained for four years, his father having at that time over 1,500 head of sheep; in 1847, they moved to Dane Co., where his father bought a farm of 200 acres; in 1853, the subject of this sketch was married to Miss Harriett Wood, and then commenced farming for himself, at which he continued four years in Dane Co.; he then moved to Trempealeau Co., town of Burnside, and has lived there ever since, having been Postmaster at Elk Creek for eleven years; he is also connected with the grain elevator and machine business with N. D. Comstock at Independence; he was elected to the office of Chairman of Town Board for six terms, and has been Justice of the Peace four terms. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., Arcadia Lodge, No. 201, and of the A. O. U. W., Independence Lodge, No. 27.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1068

+++++

L. E. DANUSER, of the firm of Danuser & Horst, hardware store, Independence; was born in Sank City, Wis., April 18, 1850; here he received a common school education, afterward attending the Northwestern College at Plainfield, Ill., taking a scientific course; after leaving College he taught school until 1874, when he went to Portage, Wis., where he clerked in a dry goods store for Shoemaker & Schulz; he continued there until the summer of 1876, then taught school one year, and, in 1817, came to Independence and bought in the store of which he is now a partner, with C. Meuli; in July, 1879, Mr. Horst bought out Mr. Meuli, and the firm has since been conducted under its present name. Mr. Danuser was married, in 1878, in Naperville, Ill., to Miss H. Lehman, a native of that State; was elected Town Clerk of Burnside in 1880.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1068

+++++

LEWIS P. EARLE, station agent, Independence; was born in Summit Co., Ohio, near Akron, June 29, 1850; in 1856, he came with his parents to Appleton, Wis.; here they remained until October, 1861, when they returned to the old homestead in Ohio; the subject of this sketch learned his trade at New Portage, Ohio, under David Cartmill, on the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad, and afterward came to Wisconsin and engaged with the Green Bay & Minnesota Railroad as station agent at New London; he has been engaged with them ever since, coming to Independence after leaving New London.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1068

+++++

EDWARD ELSTAD, Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of Burnside, is a native of Norway, having been born April 25, 1851. In 1861 he came to America and lived on a farm in Vernon Co., Wis., with his parents; in 1875 went into business in Arcadia, and in 1876 removed to Independence, where he started the second store in the village; was elected to the office of Chairman of Board of Supervisors in 1878, and has held the office ever since; he was married in 1873 to Miss Christine Clemmetson, in Vernon County, May 31. They have four children - Matilda C., Melvin N., Cormillie J. and Nora C.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1068

+++++

ARTEMUS EMERY, lumber yard, Independence; was born in the Slate of Maine in October, 1829, and was married there in 1856 to Miss Harriette Merrill, also a native of that State. In the fall of the same year they came West, first locating in Monroe Co., Wis., where he was engaged at lumbering and farming. Here he remained, with the exception of three years, when he was in Jackson County, until 1876, when he removed to Independence; he was elected Supervisor of the Town Board of Burnside; he has one daughter, Elbra M.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1068

+++++

JAMES R. FAULDS, editor of the Weekly News, Independence; was born April 19, 1853, at Rouchgap, Penn. In June, 1855, came with his parents to Glencoe, Buffalo Co., Wis., where they settled on a farm; he received a common school education at home, and in the spring of 1876 attended the graded school at Fountain City, Buffalo Co.; he afterward taught four terms; in 1879 he attended the State Normal School at River Falls and then came to Independence, and was the first Principal in the graded school there; in June, 1880, he bought in partnership with H. I. Turnbull, the Weekly News, and in August of the same year bought his partner's interest and has since managed the paper himself. The Weekly News has a circulation of over six hundred copies. Mr. Faulds is a member of the A. O. U. W., Independence Lodge, No. 27.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1068

+++++

DAVID GARLICK, Postmaster, Independence; was born Aug. 9, 1834, at Fort Covington, N. Y., and was married there in the winter of 1855 to Miss Lydia Duel, also a native of that State; in 1863 they came West, and first located at Rock Island, Ill., where he farmed until 1869, when he moved to La Crosse; after one year there he came to the town of Burnside, Trempealeau Co., where he took up a claim from the Government, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, and in 1874 went to New City where he started a grocery store, and remained there till June, 1876, when he came to Independence. This was the first family in the village, and he built the first house, outside of the Railroad buildings; he has held the office of Postmaster ever since he came here, and is also School Director; he is a member of the A. 0. U. W., Independence Lodge, No. 27. They have five children - Francy M., now Mrs. Charles Grayborn, Daniel, Dora, Jane and Melvin.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1068

+++++

JAMES L. HUTCHINS, deceased: was born in Mississippi, May 1, 1839; he was married to Miss Elizabeth Tubbs, March 25, 1861, in Jackson County; they moved to Hixton, Wis., and farmed until 1865, at which time they came to the town of Burnside, Trempealeau Co., P. O. Independence; here they farmed until the death of Mr. Hutchins, which occurred in the year 1876; deceased being a member of Town Board of Burnside. The family now consists of Mrs. Hutchins and five children - Mary L., Byron L., Sylvester, Otis and Lorenzo.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1068

+++++

JOHAN A. JOHANSON, dealer in groceries and general merchandise, Independence, was born in Norway. June 8, 1845, where he lived until 1872, teaching school the last seven years; came to America in 1872, first locating at La Crosse, Wis., where he engaged in lumbering and farming for three years. In 1875 went to Trempealeau County, where he worked on a farm for one year, and then came to Independence; he first clerked for Lambert & Larson, merchants, and in 1879 went into partnership with Larson; this was continued for two years, when he sold out and started in his present business, Feb. 1, 1881. He was married Jan. 8, 1878, to Miss Olive Severson. They have one son - Joel Marcus. Mr. Johanson is a member of the Lutheran Church.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1068

+++++

BENJAMIN F. LAMBERT, merchant, Independence, was born in Lancaster Co., Penn., Sept. 2, 1827. He was a resident of Philadelphia for twenty-five years, engaged in the carting and shipping business. He was married there, Aug. 28, 1857, to Miss Phebe A. Axe, his wife having been born in the same house and room that he was, on the 31st day of May, 1839. They have three children, all of whom were born in Philadelphia. Their names are-Margaret, Philip M. and William L., also one adopted daughter, Elizabeth E. Mr. Lambert and family came to Independence April 12, 1878.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1068

+++++

O. P. LARSON, general merchandise, Independence, was born April 15, 1849, in Norway; came to America in 1865, where he staid but one year, clerking during the time in a mercantile store at Black Earth, Dane Co., Wis. He then went back to Norway, where he remained until 1872, when he returned to America and clerked for Getts & Co., at Whitehall; continued to work for them till 1876, at which time he came to Independence, and started the store where he now is; it was the first general merchandise store in the village. He was married, in 1878, to Miss Lena Waller, also a native of Norway. In 1880, they went back to their native country on a visit, remaining six months.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," pages 1068 - 1069

+++++

G. L. LINTZ, proprietor of the International Hotel and billiard hall, Independence, was born in New York, in 1831; left there in 1874, and came to Wisconsin. Settling in Independence, in 1877, he opened what was then known as the Farmer's Home Hotel, where he continued until January, 1881, when he began his present business. In 1863 he enlisted in 18th New York Cav., Co. L, and served until the close of the war in the army of the Potomac.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1069

+++++

GEORGE H. MARKHAM, farmer, Sec. 24, P. O. Independence, was born in Yorkshire, England, Jan. 24, 1837; came with his parents to America, and purchased a farm from the Government, in Trempealeau County, in 1856. It consisted originally of 120 acres, but he has since made additions to it, until he now has a farm of 720 acres. His father, John Markham, was a captain in the British Navy for sixty years, and his brother, Albert, was connected with Sir George Nare's Arctic expedition, which sailed from England May 29, 1875, and returned Oct. 30, 1876, obtaining latitude 83° 30' north. The subject of this sketch was in the Trempealeau Valley at the time of the Indian scare, but not being a man to run, he procured a keg of powder and protected himself. Was elected to the Assembly from Trempealeau County, in the year 1879, and was Chairman on the Committee of Engrossing Bills. Has also held various offices in his town. He was married Oct. 8, 1862, to Miss Fannie M. Bishop, daughter of Dr. Bishop, of Portage, Wis. She was born Aug. 11, 1841.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1069

+++++

MICHAEL MULLIGAN, County Judge of Trempealeau County; was born in Ireland, County of Westmeath, July 9, 1845; came to America with his parents when only two years of age, and settled in the State of Connecticut. on a farm in the town of Rockville; in 1865 the subject of this sketch came West and lived at Black River Falls, Jackson Co., Wis., for two years, engaged with W. T. Price on a farm, and then moved to Durand, Pepin County; he was at Eau Claire for three years, being engaged at school teaching there, and part of the time working in a sawmill; he also attended the Galesville University at odd times, his first term being in the fall of 1869, and his last in the fall of 1874. After leaving school he went into the office of G. L. Freeman, and was admitted to the bar in 1876; he was in partnership with Mr. Freeman for one year, and in September, 1877, opened his first office for himself at Galesville; here he remained until May, 1878, when he moved to Independence; in the fall of that year he was elected to the office of District Attorney of Trempealeau, for two years, and in April, 1881, was elected Judge of Trempealeau County for four years, commencing Jan. 1, 1882, but owing to the resignation of Seth Mills, was appointed to fill the vacancy from May 28, 1881, to Jan. 1, 1882. Judge Mulligan is a member of the A., F. & A. M. order at Arcadia, Lodge No. 201, and also of the A. O. U. W., Independence Lodge, No. 27.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1069

+++++

CHARLES A. RAETZ, machinist and blacksmith, Independence; was born in Baden, Germany, June 7, 1845; came to America with his parents in 1847, and to Wisconsin in 1850, where he lived on a farm with them in Buffalo County; he enlisted Dec. 24, 1863, in the 6th Wis., Co. H, Vol. Infty., and served until the close of the war, and in 1866 started to learn his trade in Fountain City; was married in Buffalo County, in 1873, to Miss Emelia Linse; they have three children - Henry A., Charles E. and Della; in 1877 he came to Independence and started a blacksmith shop, which was the second one in the village.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1069

+++++

JOSEPH RITZINGER, meat market, Independence; was born in Germany, March 22, 1849, and came to America in 1871, first working in Chicago at his trade for fourteen months; in the fall of 1872 he went to Eau Claire, Wis., and in 1874 started in business for himself there. In July, 1877, he moved to Independence, and started his present market, it being the first one in the village. Mr. Ritzinger was married in 1876, to Miss Maggie Cramer, who was born in August, 1858, in the town of Rubicon, Wis. They have one son - John J.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1069

+++++

JOHN W. RUNKEL, furniture dealer and undertaker; was born in Prussia, June 2, 1847; he came to America with his parents in 1856, first locating in Buffalo County, Wis., on a farm, where he remained with his father until 1870; he then went to Fountain City and started in the mercantile business in company with L. E. Danuser; this he continued for one year, and at the end of that Mr. Runkel sold to his partner and went back to the farm: in 1877 he moved to Independence and started in his present business, his being the first furniture store in the village; Mr. Runkel was elected Justice of the Peace in the spring of' 1881, and is a member of the Temperance Society and of' the Evangelical Church; he was married in 1870 to Miss Maggie Steiner, who was born in Milwaukee Co.. Wis.; they have four children - Lewis Sarah J., Helen C. and Eugene E.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1069

+++++

JOHN SPRECHER, dealer in farm machinery at Independence; was born Nov. 29, 1850, in Troy, Sauk Co., Wis.; he lived there with his parents until 1873, when he came to Arcadia, and worked for Krundick & Muir, who were engaged in farm machinery business; here he continued until 1876, when lie removed to Independence, where he conducted the business for his former employers, for two years, and in 1878, he bought out Krumdick, and the firm was known as Muir & Sprecher for one year; he then bought out Muir, and has since run the business alone. Mr. Sprecher also has a farm of' 160 acres, which he runs in connection with his other business; he is a member of the Evangelical Church, at Independence. His wife was Miss Caroline Scaffer, of Sauk County. They have one son - John H.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1069

+++++

JAMES C. TAYLOR, druggist, Independence; is a native of Ontario Co., N. Y., having been born there in April, 1828; first came West in 1861, staying in Milwaukee one year, and then coming to Trempealeau County, where he started a merchandise store in the village of Trempealeau; in 1872, he was elected Justice of the Peace, and was afterward engaged in the collecting business; he removed to Independence in 1876, and entered upon present business, which he has followed since in connection with collecting; was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace, soon after his arrival in Independence, and has been Town Clerk for several years. Mr. Taylor is agent for D. M. Kelly, of Green Bay, for the sale of village lots in Independence, and is a member of the A. O. U. W., being a charter member of the Independence Lodge, No. 27.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1069

+++++

NIC THEISON, manufacturer of boots and shoes, Independence; was born in Fond du Lac Co., Wis., Aug 22, 1853, and, lived there until 1879, when he moved to Buffalo County and worked on a farm for one year; he then learned shoe-making in Fountain City, where he remained until October, 1876, when he came to Independence, and started the first shoe-shop in the village; in the spring of 1880, he built the brick building which he now occupies, it being the second brick building in the village. He was married in Arcadia May 4, 1875, to Miss Helen Turck, who was born in Wisconsin. They have two children - Bruno H. and Clara M.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1069

+++++

THOMAS THOMPSON, dealer in general merchandise, Independence; was born in Sweden, Nov. 7, 1851, and came with his parents to America in 1857. They first lived in Norway, Racine Co., Wis., on a farm, after which they moved to Trempealeau County, where his father bought a farm of 232 acres, and he remained with them, teaching school at Arcadia during the winters of 1871 and 1872; in 1874, he started a store at Arcadia in company with Ole O. Peterson, he continuing in this fourteen months, and at the end of that time sold out to his partner; he returned home, and was married to Mrs. Thomas Thompson; he then moved to village of Trempealeau and went into the machine business, at which he continued for two years; then returned to Arcadia and bought out his former partner, and ran the store till February, 1881, when he removed to Independence. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Arcadia Lodge, No. 201.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," pages 1069 - 1070

+++++

WILLIAM R. TRUMBULL, proprietor of the Trumbull Hotel, Independence; was born in the town of Hammond, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., where he lived until 1855, when he came to Wisconsin, first living in Fountain City, Buffalo Co., where he worked at engineering in a saw-mill; he continued this for twelve years, and in the fall of 1867, was elected County Sheriff of Buffalo County, which office he held two years; he then worked at carpentering for one year after which he went into a flouring-mill for three years, and afterward rented the Mallinger House in Fountain City, in 1875, which he run for two years; he then bought his present place in Independence.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1070

+++++

JOHN J. ZIMMER, farmer, Sec. 19, town of Burnside, Independence; was born in New York, Jan. 17, 1836; came to Wisconsin in 1844, and lived with his parents one year in Racine County, after which they went to Jefferson County, where his father bought a farm of 120 acres; here the subject of this sketch lived until he was twenty years of age, when he was married to Miss Margaret Wunderlich, who was a native of Germany. They moved to Juneau County, where he worked in a saw-mill, and afterward at constructing railroads, and then ran a store at New Lisbon for one year; in 1862, he enlisted in the 12th Wis. Battery, and after serving six months; was wounded in the right leg, in the battle of Corinth, which unfitted him for further service, so he returned to Juneau County, where he remained until the spring of 1864, at which time he came to Trempealeau County, and rented a farm in the town of Hale, on which he lived for three years; in 1867, moved on to his present farm; he has been a member of the Town Board of Burnside for three years, and is a member of the A. O. U. W., Independence Lodge, No. 27.

-Transcribed from the "History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881," page 1070



f-trempealeau
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.

DISCLAIMER:   No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters.   The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry.   Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners.  Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents.  Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility  to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
____________________________________________________________
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
wigenwebcc
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000