corner header home search engine what's new
sidebar USGenWeb Project photos tools histories databases archives about us WIGenWeb Project
Histories:  Trempealeau Co. Historical Accounts:

"Historical & Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2": 

Biographical Sketches of Osseo Businessmen

The following biographical sketches have been transcribed from the book, "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2" and contains information on the following individuals:

FIELD, Robert C.
FIELD, Stoddard
HAZEN, Dwight L.
LEVIS, William K.
NEWELL, George F. Jr.
NEWELL, George F. Sr.
YORK, Thomas C.

References are listed below each biography:

J. C. BEACH, farmer, P. O. Osseo, was born in Warren county, N. Y., April 7, 1830, the eighth in a family of eleven children born to Henry and Sarah (Reed) Beach, natives of New York.  His father was born July 3, 1781, and died September 16, 1871; his mother born in 1794, died in August, 1864.  Their children were Henry R.; Mary A., wife of A. J. Sherman; Elizabeth, widow of S. Hovey; William W.; Jacob W.; Lyman; Aurelia, wife of Wilson Scofield; Matilda, wife of E. A. Bailey; J. C.; Harvey; and Philanda, wife of S. Ramsey.  Our subject spent his early life in Luzerne, N. Y., and followed farming when quite young.  In 1862 he came to Walworth county, and July 21, 1864, to Garfield township, Jackson county, where he now owns 240 acres of fine farming land well improved.  In connection with his farm he runs an extensive dairy.  He has thirteen milch cows, red Durhams, with a full-blooded Durham bull at the head of his herd.  November 22, 1862, he married Altha, daughter of Nelson A. and Lydia (Brown) Murray, of Luzerne, Warren county, N. Y., where she was born March 22, 1834.  They have four children:  Henry Ashley, Samuel, Clara and Mary E.  Mr. Beach is a stanch republican, and is chairman of the town board, and a leader in his party.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," page 657


H. E. BROWNE, editor Osseo "Blade," Osseo, Trempealeau county, was born at Long Meadow, Mass., October 5, 1864.  He came to Wisconsin in 1867 with his parents, when he was a child three years of age, and since that has spent most of his time in Eau Claire.  He attended school at Eau Claire, Sparta and Durand, and graduated from the high school at the last named place.  January 31, 1891, at Mondovi, he married C. Meda Lampman of that city.  After leaving school he learned the art of printing, and in 1888 entered into business as editor of the Knapp "Enterprise," a paper published at Knapp, Wis.  He had charge of the same one year, then sold out and came to Osseo, where he now resides, and is editor of a paper called the Osseo "Blade."  His father was a Methodist minister and a member of the West Wisconsin Conference.  Our subject joined the Methodist Episcopal church at the age of eighteen years.  May 30, 1891, the time of the Osseo fire, he was engaged in the publication of the "Blade" and narrowly escaped death, when his house was burning.  It was located on the bank of a lake with only one entrance and fire had made it impossible to escape in that way, consequently he and his wife were compelled to jump from the upper story into the lake, and thus were saved from a horrible death.  He had no insurance on his property and lost everything.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," pages 703 - 704


STODDARD FIELD, farmer, P. O. Osseo, was born August 19, 1842, in Cairo, Greene county, N. Y., the eldest son of Robert C. and Mary (Stoddard) Field.  His early life was spent in this state, where he received a common school education.  He chose farming for a vocation and now owns 500 acres of fine land, two miles south of Osseo, upon which he has erected a very fine residence.  His barns and sheds are large and comfortable.  He buys largely of stock, dressed and on hoof, and ships to Ashland, Wis., where he has a very large meat market.  He is one of those progressive men who are a benefit to a community and by their example improve it.  January 1, 1871, he married Miss Martha E., daughter of E. W. Robbins.  They are the parents of two children:  Leslie H., born November 9, 1871, and Clarence W., born February 8, 1874.  Mr. Field is a republican in politics and has served upon the town board for a number of years.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," page 424.


ROBERT C. FIELD, (deceased) was born May 6, 1804, in Cairo, Greene county, N. Y., the only son of Robert Bates and Sally (Austin) Field, natives of Wallingford, Conn.  After receiving a common-school education he entered the law office of Hon. J. Barnes, of Cairo, and there studied the profession of law for several years.  He took a very active interest in politics, and represented Greene county in the state legislature in 1844.  In 1849 he moved west and settled in Richland county, Wis., where he remained for several years.  He was sent to the state legislature from that district in 1859.  He moved to Trempealeau county and still continued his course of progression.  In 1874 he was elected to the state senate of this district, and has held many minor offices here.

January 1, 1837, he married Miss Harriet M. Graham, who died a few months afterward.  April 1, 1838, he married Miss Mary, daughter of Neri and Triphena (Beebe) Stoddard, natives of Connecticut.  Mrs. Field was born November 3, 1815.  They had seven children, namely: Harriet, wife of E. Scott Hotchkiss; Stoddard, Robert D. (deceased), Francis E., Horace A., Hiram H., and Mary E., wife of C. D. Van Hosen.  Mr. Field was a Universalist in his religious belief.  He was admired for his strict integrity, honesty and temperate habits.  In politics he was a republican, and was the standard bearer of that party for a number of years.  He accumulated a very handsome property during his life time, and at his death left his children well provided for.  His death took place June 16, 1876, and the remains were escorted to their final resting place by a large cortege of friends, who truly mourned his loss.  His widow is still living.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," pages 423 - 424.


A. C. GATES, machine and implement dealer, Osseo, was born in Brookfield, Madison county, N. Y., December 8, 1853, and is the eldest of the three children of David A. and Ellen J. (Langworthy) Gates, natives of New York.  The father was a son of Eli and Mary (Cately) Gates.  Eli Gates was born September 21, 1806; his wife, June 30, 1809.  They had htree children, namely:  David A., Jennie S., wife of J. D. Mosier, and one who died in infancy.  David A. Gates was born May 28, 1830; his wife was born May 10, 1834, and they were the parents of three children:  A. C. our subject; Leila, deceased wife of W. A. Ronse; and Jennie, wife of Dr. A. C. Barnes, of Glasford, Ill.  The family came to Sumner in 1862.

Our subject followed farming until 1880, when he began handlng machinery and farm implements.  He is agent for the J. I. Case, Buffalo Pitts, Minnesota Chief, and Advance threshers, and also manufactures and makes a specialty of twine, and does all kinds of farm repairs.  March 25, 1875, Mr. Gates married Miss Mary, daughter of Lyman S. and Mary Hitchcox, natives of New York.  She was born October 24, 1856, and died May 25, 1885, the mother of four children:  Lillian May, David Edgar, Arthur L., and Cately (deceased).  Politically, Mr. Gates is a democrat, and was appointed justice of the peace, and in 1890 was elected for a two years' term.  He has also held the office of constable for a number of years.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," page 642


HENRY GILBERT, Osseo, was born September 5, 1820, in Palmyra, Portage county, Ohio, a son of J. E. and Nancy (Bacon) Gilbert, early settlers of eastern Ohio.  His father, who was born in 1804, died in 1881, while his mother, who was born in 1800, lived until 1845.  They had six children:  Henry, our subject; Horatio; Harriet, wife of T. B. Darling; Charlotte, wife of Cad. Puffer; Caroline, wife of James Shorthill, and Betsy (deceased), who married D. W. Weldy.  Henry remained in Portage county until eighteen years of age, when he moved west, stopping in Huron county, Ohio, where, in December, 1840, he married Fidelia C., daughter of Thomas and Margaret (Pennock) Darling, who was born in Cattaraugus county, N. Y., July 16, 1827.  There have been four children born to this couple, namely:  Thomas J., Willie H., Jennie, wife of George W. Myers, and James P.  April 19, 1861, Mr. Gilbert enlisted for three months in Company C. Fourteenth Ohio infantry, under Col. Stedman and Capt. B. H. Fisher.  The first service the regiment saw was in West Virginia, where
they were in the battles of Philippi and Cheat River.  Upon the expiration of his term of enlistment he recruited Company C, One Hundredth Ohio volunteer infantry, and was made captain of the same.  He was taken ill and resigned his position in December, 1862, and returned home.  In 1867 he moved west again and settled in Trempealeau county, Wis.  He is a member of Osseo Lodge No. 213, A. F. and A. M.; Augusta Lodge No. 142, I. O. O. F. , and John E. Perkins Post, G. A. R. at Augusta.  Politically he is a republican, and in 1875 was elected justice of the peace, and was re-elected several terms.  He served as deputy sheriff under E. S. Hotchkiss.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," pages 477-478


DWIGHT L. HAZEN, farmer, P. O. Osseo, Trempealeau county, was born in Fond du Lac county, Wis., October 1, 1847, and is a son of Alonzo and Louisa (Cole) Hazen.  Alonzo Hazen, together with eight brothers, settled near Fond du Lac in 1846.  He came into the Chippewa Valley in 1860, and engaged in the lumber and milling business.  In 1865 he built a grist-mill, known as the "Otter Creek Mill," and later erected a woolen-mill in the same place.  He died May 20, 1889.  Of the seven children born to his parents, Dwight L. was the fourth. He enlisted in the Fifth Wisconsin infantry, September 20, 1864, and was in the eastern department of the Sixth corps.  He was at Cedar Creek, in front of Petersburg, at the siege of Richmond, and at the surrender of Lee.  He received his discharge June 19, 1865.  He then returned to Eau Claire county, and in 1868 settled on the farm he now occupies in the town of Clear Creek.  He has been a successful farmer and now owns 160 acres of land.  In December 1872, he married Eva M. Case, of Eau Claire, and to them have been born two children, Bernice and Grace.  Mr. Hazen votes republican ticket, and in religion is a Unitarian.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," page 579


WILLIAM K. LEVIS, farmer, P. O. Osseo, was born October 16, 1814, in Bucks county, Pa., and is the fourth in the family of eight children born to Samuel and Mary (Johnson) Levis, natives of Pennsylvania.  The Johnsons won distinction during the Revolutionary war, Abraham Johnson being a captain in Colonel Montgomery's army.  Samuel Levis was born in 1779 and died in his forty-seventh year; his wife was born in 1789 and died January 31, 1863.  Their children were John, Samuel, Lizzie (who died in infancy), William K., Joseph, Edward, Mahlon and George.  William K. passed his early life in Bristol, Bucks county, and learned the trade of a carpenter in Philadelphia.  In 1835 he came west to Alton, Ill., where he engaged in the saw-mill business with his brother, and in 1840 they came to Black River Falls, where they erected a saw-mill which they operated several years.  Mr. Levis then went to Morrison Creek and put up another mill, which he sold and then bought one on Black river, where he remained fifteen years, until high water, which destroyed the plant and lumber, compelled him to sell out.  He then farmed in Alma Centre a few years, kept tavern in Hixton, and then moved to Trempealeau and kept the stage station tavern.

In 1867 he came to Osseo and purchased the old Osseo house, which he managed for a few years, and then located on his present farm of 360 acres, lying one mile and a half north of Osseo.  In 1847 Mr. Levis married Miss Mary, daughter of John R. and Hannah (Clark) Blanchard, natives of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.  John Blanchard and wife had fourteen children, all of whom died in their infancy except Mrs. Levis, who was born in Oneida county, N. Y., June 7, 1823.  Mr. and Mrs. Levis are the parents of ten children:  William, Mary (deceased wife of P. Beedy), Sarah (wife of John Wood), Clark and Ernest, the others dying in their infancy.  Mr. Levis casts his suffrage with the democratic party.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," page 484


JAMES L. LINDERMAN, miller, P. O. Osseo, was born at Ithaca, N. Y., April 4, 1827, and is the fifth in the family of Isaac and Elizabeth (Landon) Linderman, natives of New York and of German descent.  The father was born December 21, 1793, and died in the spring of 1880; the mother was born June 22, 1797, and died April 29, 1839.  Their children were as follows:  Emeline (deceased), Julia (deceased), Jacob A., Sarah (widow of James Ellsworth), James L., and Susan (wife of Chauncey E. Wells).  James L. was reared to manhood and given a common-school education in his native county.  He moved to Pennsylvania, and remained there until 1855, when he returned to Allegany county, N. Y., where he engaged in the lumber trade.  In 1859 he moved to Rockford, Ill., where he engaged with the Manny Reaper Manufacturing company of that place as managing agent for Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin, traveling over his territory by team.  He remained with this company until 1868 when he moved to Eau Claire, where he resided until he came to Trempealeau county in 1872, and erected the Sumner Merchants mills, situated one and a half miles west of Osseo.  These mills were burned in 1880 and the present building was erected the same year, and the plant is now valued at $15,000.  Mr. Linderman is one of the largest farmers in this section, owning 425 acres of good, tillable land.  He has built a very handsome residence near his mills.

February 8, 1849, he married Miss Abigail, daughter of Ansel and Elizabeth Williams, of Pennsylvania, and born December 12, 1825.  They have three children:  William A. (deceased), Philander, and Emma E. (wife of A. G. Cox). Mr. Linderman is a republican in politics, and takes an active interest in elections.  He was honored by being elected to the state legislature in 1877, and served as chairman of the congressional committee of the Eight Wisconsin district in 1889 and 1890.  In 1890 he was a supervisor of the Fifth Wisconsin district of census, and the same year was nominated by acclamation as candidate for the state senate.  He was a delegate to the national convention that nominated President Harrison.  He is energetic aand enterprising, and has always taken an active interest in movements that have been for the interest of his surroundings, and is truly a representative citizen of Trempealeau county.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," page 438


EDWARD J. MATCHETT, farmer, P. O. Osseo, was born February 26, 1848, in county Antrim, Ireland, a son of Moses and Esther (Johnstone) Matchett, natives of Ireland.  He was given a fair education in Dublin, Ireland, and came to the United States in his fourteenth year, and settled in Madison, Somerset county, Me.  September 3, 1864, he enlisted in Company G, Sixteenth Maine, and served under Col. Tilden and Capt. Ike Thompson, in the Fifth army corps, Second brigade and Third division.  They were engaged in the battles of Hatch's Run, Gravelly Run, Five Points, and accompanying skirmishes, escaping wounds and capture.  He was discharged June 20, 1865, and returned to Maine, but in the fall of the same year he came west, and resided in La Crosse, and in the following year came to Sumner township, Trempealeau county, where he has since resided.  He commenced his life in the west by hauling freight from Osseo to Sparta and return, and when the St. Paul & Omaha road was being built, took contracts for grading part of the same.  He graded the road bed of the Sault Ste. Marie from this point to Fairchild.  He is one of the earliest loggers in this section, and now works at that in winter and farms in summer.  He owns 500 acres of good farming land three miles east of Osseo, on which he has made many improvements.

In 1878 Mr. Matchett married Mrs. Rhoda Thomas, widow of W. H. Thomas, and a daughter of Freeman and Rhoda (Coates) Thomas.  She was born in 1830, and died in her fifty-sixth year.  In 1888 Mr. Matchett married Miss Augusta F., daughter of R. C. Hines, of Fairchild, and born September 16, 1864.  They have one child, Essie B.  Mr. Matchett is a member of the I. O. O. F. and W. G. Wheeler Post No. 93, G. A. R.  He is a republican in politics, and a member of the board of soldiers' commission, and chairman of the town board of supervisors.  He and wife are members of the Congregational church.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," page 707


GEORGE F. NEWELL, JR., druggist, Osseo, was born in Fort Covington, N. Y., February 5, 1859.  When the family came to Osseo, George F. entered into mercantile life, and in 1879, in partnership with H. E. Hotchkiss, established the drug store he is now running.  This partnership continued until 1889, when Mr. Hotchkiss retired.  The stock is valued at $3,000, and Mr. Newell is doing a business of about $7,000 per year.  His stock consists of a full line of drugs, paints, oils, books, wall paper, etc.  He is a registered pharmacist, having passed his examination in 1882.  September 10, 1886, he married in Osseo, Miss Emma, daughter of Rev. Malcolm and Janet A. (McColl) McPhail, natives of Canada.  Mrs. Newell was born July 18, 1863.  Mr. Newell is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.  He is a republican in politics and was appointed postmaster in 1880, and held the office six years.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," page 768


GEORGE F. NEWELL, SR., miller, Osseo, was born in Odgensburg, N. Y., August 31, 1828, a son of Lyman and Alvina Newell, natives of Vermont and New Hampshire respectively.  His early life was spent in Ogdensburg, where he remained until 1858, when he went to Canada, where he learned the milling business which he has followed through life.  He moved to Fort Covington, N. Y., where he remained until 1873, when he came to Sumner township, Trempealeau county, and was manager of the Osseo flouring mills for four years.  He then took a trip through Kansas, Arkansas, Indian territory and New Mexico, and returned in 1889.  April 9, 1856, he married Miss Harriet R. Sylvester, a native of Fort Covington, born August 1, 1837, and they have five children, namely:  Walter, born July 8, 1857; George F., Jr.; Florence A., born October 15, 1861, in Martinstown, Canada; Henry C., born in Fort Covington, December 6, 1870, and Harriet R., born in Osseo, September 20, 1876.  The mother died September 26, 1876, a member of the Presbyterian church.  Mr. Newell is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a republican in politics.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," page 768


E. A. OLSON, Physician and surgeon, Osseo, Trempealeau county, was born in Christiania, Norway, October 18, 1850, and is the eldest of the four children of O. T. and Sarah (Iverson) Olson, natives of Norway.  His father and mother were both born in 1820, and were married in 1848.  Their children were:  E. A., Christiania (wife of James Campbell), Edward O. and Anton J.  The family came to the United States in 1853, and settled near Milwaukee, where the father followed the shoemaking trade.  In 1859 they moved to Mauston, where he engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes.  His property was destroyed by fire once, but he continued in business and is now in comfortable circumstances.  After obtaining a common-school education, E. A. Olson started out to make his own living, and in 1872 commenced studying medicine with G. C. Gardner, a physician of Mauston, and there remained studying and practicing until 1877.  In 1880 he graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Keokuk, Iowa.  He settled in Osseo in 1877, and after graduating returned there and has an extensive practice.  February 28, 1875, he married Miss Helen E., daughter of Theodore and Eliza (Linderman) Valleau, natives of Pennsylvania.  She was born in Juneau county, Wis., August 29, 1853.  They have one child, Blanche E.  Mr. Olson is a member of the Armor Lodge No. 36, K. of P., of Independence.  He is a republican in politics, and is an acknowledged leader in the party, spending both time and labor at the elections.  He is looked upon by all as an enterprising citizen.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," page 827


C. H. SHORES, postmaster and merchant, Osseo, was born January 7, 1850, in Berkshire county, Mass.  He is the fourth in the family of six children of Curtis and Sarah (Duncan) Shores, natives of Massachusetts and Ireland, respectively.  His father was born in 1818 and died in 1858; his mother, born in 1820, came to the United States in her eighteenth year, and died in February, 1889.  Curis Shores and wife were the parents of six children, namely:  George D., William J., Mary (wife of Norman Williams), C. H., H. E., and Emeline (wife of D. L. Remmington).  The family moved to Wisconsin in 1855 and settled in Dane county, and in the fall of 1862 removed to Trempealeau county.  Having been unfortunate in losing his father while he himself was quite young, our subject was compelled to work out at an early age and received but a limited education.  He saved his earnings, however, and after clerking for some time for Gay & Thomas, he purchased the interest of the former in 1875, and the firm name was changed to W. H. Thomas & Co., and continued as such until 1876, when Mr. Thomas died, and his widow sold her interest to C. G. Thomas in 1878.  The firm, known as C. H. Shores & Co., do a general merchandise business, and have a capital stock of $10,000.  The firm are also largely engaged in farming, owning 700 acres of good farming land, which is put into pasturage.  They are largely engaged in buying and shipping grain and stock.

In December, 1876, Mr. Shores married Miss Julia E., daughter of W. H. and Rhoda (Coates) Thomas, natives of Ohio.  She was born in Richland county, Wis., September 25, 1854.  They have one child, Della.  Mr. Shores is a republican in politics, and has been town treasurer for the past fifteen years.  In July, 1890, he was appointed postmaster.  He is a member of Osseo Lodge No. 213, A. F. and A. M.  He has by his own resources and labor carved out a standing in the financial world, of credit to himself and friends, and has given much assistance to the different enterprises that are of benefit to his surroundings.  He may well be classed as an enterprising, representative citizen of this locality.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," pages 631 - 632


CHARLES SILKWORTH, farmer, P. O. Osseo, was born October 26, 1862, in Trempealeau county.  He was given a good business education, and has followed the occupation of farming and stock raising, paying especial attention to the breeding of fine stock.  He owns a registered Percheron stallion, Pippo, 9331 (12393), imported by M. W. Dunham, of Wayne, Ill.  He breeds high-grade Durham cattle for dairy and beef purposes, heading his herd with Oxford of Nashua, a registered animal.  He also buys and ships horses to a considerable extent.  In the winter he acts as traveling salesman for J. L. Linderman.  He is a republican politically.  Sherman Silkworth, partner of Charles Silkworth, in the breeding of horses and cattle, was born June 14, 1869.  He is a graduate of the State Agricultureal College at Madison and is also a republican in politics.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," page 488


GEORGE SILKWORTH (deceased) was born in Watertown, N. Y., July 17, 1822.  He was the eldest in the family of three children of James and Elizabeth (Coon) Silkworth, of New York.  His father died in 1829, at the age of thirty years, but his mother lived until 1876, and died in her seventy-fourth year.  Their children were George, William and Hannah, the last named the wife of William Cole, of Burnett, Dodge county, Wis.  George came west in 1855, in company with Garwood G. Green, and settled in what was then known as Beef River station, the only stage station between Black River Falls and Eau Claire, and some of the log buildings which still remain.  They carried on a hotel at that point, and it was the only one in this section until Osseo was laid out.  Mr. Silkworth also served as postmaster there for a number of years, until the office was moved to Osseo.  He and his partner, Mr. Green, entered a section of land, and continued partnership until 1870, when they divided, and Mr. Silkworth retained 240 acres of choice farming land.  On this he erected an elegant residence with accompanying buildings.

October 26, 1857, he married, in Richland county, Wis., Miss Caroline, daughter of Christopher and Martina (Wall) Bunn, natives of Norway where Mrs. Silkworth was born April 28, 1833.  The family came from Norway and settled in Richland county, Wis., in 1852.  Mr. Silkworth and wife were the parents of five children, as follows:  William (deceased), Ida (widow of Frank Searle), Charles, Minnie and Sherman.  He was a republican in politics, and occupied positions of trust while a resident of Sumner township.  His demise occurred October 29, 1889.  His name is honored by all for his sterling worth, honesty and charitable disposition.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," pages 487 - 488


SMITH BROS., Osseo, dealers in hardware, agricultural implements and machinery.  Fred A. Smith, the senior member of the firm, was born September 25, 1853, in Bedford, Ohio, and is the eldest of the five children of Mathias M. and Elizabeth (Thomas) Smith, natives of New York.  William Smith, his grandfather, was born on Long Island, March 20, 1770, and died July 29, 1859, in Bedford, Ohio.  His wife, Catherine Kelty, was born in Ireland, May 16, 1792, and died in Bedford, Ohio, June 10, 1858.  Mathias M. Smith was born in New York, February 26, 1826, and his wife, Elizabeth was born in Madison county, N. Y., February 20, 1831.  They are now residents of Richland county, Wis., and are the parents of the following children:  Fred A., James W., Frank M., Catherine (wife of Luther Post) and Annie E. (Wife of A. H. Davis).  The family moved from Ohio to Ithaca, Wis., in 1854.

Fred A., spent his early life in Richland county, this state.  In 1877 he came to Sumner township, Trempealeau county and entered the services of C. H. Shores & Co., as a clerk, and remained with them twelve years.  Then, in partnership with his brother, James W., he opened the hardware store they are now conducting.  They have a stock of $2,500 and do a good business.  November 4, 1874, Mr. Smith married Miss Mary E., daughter of Joseph W. and P. A. (Hall) Jaquish, natives, respectively, of New York and Connecticut.  Mrs. Smith was born August 28, 1855, in Richland county.  Her father was born May 4, 1829, and her mother July 4, 1821.  Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Smith, as follows:  Charles G., Julia W., and Frank M.  Mr. Smith is a member of Osseo Lodge No. 213, A. F. and A. M.  Politically he is a republican, and has filled the office of school treasurer for a number of years.

James W., the junior member of the firm, was born March 30, 1857, and was the second child born to his parents.  December 25, 1882, he married Miss Della, daughter of F. S. and Emma (Starkweather) Warner, natives of Pennsylvania and New York, respectively.  Mrs. Smith was born May 30, 1867, and died at Osseo, June 17, 1891.  Mr. smith is a member of the First Congregational church, of which he is treasurer and director.  He is a republican in politcs, is clerk of the town of Sumner and is an enterprising, charitable man.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," pages 792 - 793


A. L. WOOSTER, physician and druggist, Osseo, was born March 14, 1838, in Momence, Kankakee county, Ill., and is the tenth in a family of eleven children born to Lewis and Lavina (Holmes) Wooster, natives of Connecticut.  His father was born in 1790 and died in 1855, and his mother, born in 1800, died in 1860.  Their children were named as follows:  Alanson H. (deceased), Lorinda (widow of Dr. Youngman), Lavina (deceased), John, George (deceased), Mary (deceased wife of Henry A. Hulbert of Seattle), Sarah (deceased wife of Nathaniel Van Knochen), A. L. and Marilla (wife of James Cassell of Oklahoma, Indian territory).  Dr. A. L. was reared to manhood in Green Lake county, Wis., where he received a good common-school education.  He chose the medical profession for a vocation and educated himself, paying his own tuition and expenses while studying medicine.  In 1860 he married Miss Frances J., daughter of Storm and Maria Zee, natives of New York.  Mrs. Wooster was born March 4, 1844.  They have three children:  Lorena (wife of Harvey Borst), Scott H. and Lois M.  Mr. Wooster is a member of the Independence Lodge No. 36, K. of P., the A. O. U. W. No. 121, at Fairchild, and the order of Modern Woodmen No. 787.  He is a democrat in politics and has served as town clerk of Sumner.  He assists in all enterprises of a public nature that are of benefit to his surroundings, and is a representative citizen of the county.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," pages 552 - 553


THOMAS C. YORK, farmer, P. O. Osseo, Trempealeau county, was born in Madison county, N. Y., December 6, 1828, a son of Thomas H. and Anna (Griffin) York, of English descent.  His father was a teacher in his younger days, and afterward became a farmer.  Of four children born to his parents, Thomas was the youngest.  In 1854, at the age of twenty-six, he left home and came to Madison, Wis., where he remained until 1857, following the business of engineer in the water cure.  He came to Eau Claire county in 1857 and experienced all the trials of those early days.  In 1863 he settled on the farm in Clear Creek township, which he now occupies which consists of over 400 acres of well improved land.  In 1856 Mr. York married Margaret Daniels, who died in June, 1875, the mother of five children:  Frank, Ollie, Fred, Anna, and Mattie, all now living.  In April, 1879, he took for his second wife Miss Lizzie Brown of Philadelphia, Pa.  Mr. York casts his suffrage with the democratic party, and believes in the doctrines of the Unitarian church.

-Transcribed from the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2," pages 543 - 544


The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.

DISCLAIMER:   No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters.   The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry.   Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners.  Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents.  Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility  to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000