Histories: Trempealeau County Historical Accounts:
"History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917":
-As transcribed from pages 273 - 274
Tamarack, Elk Creek and Pine Creek Take their names from the streams on which they are located.
Centerville is named from its geographical location on Trempealeau Prairie. It was originally called Martin's Corners from an early settler.
Dooney's Siding was named from James B. Dooney, present general agent of the Green Bay. It has a wood yard, a stock yard, and a railroad platform and switch. It is an important shipping point for wood and stock, and considerable lime and the like is shipped in.
Dewey's Corners was the name applied to Old Arcadia, from the family of that name prominently identified with its early history. J. I. Dewey, son and nephew of the original Deweys, is still a resident there.
Frenchville takes its name from its location on French Creek.
Glasgow was named by reason of the numerous hardy Scots who made their new home there.
Hegg is in the upper Beaver Creek country, which was naturally settled later than the lower valley. As late as 1871 a postoffice was established in K. K. Hallanger's residence, and Mr. Hallanger was appointed postmaster. The name chose for the postoffice was Hegg, in honor of Colonel Hegg, commander of the Fifteenth Wisconsin Norwegian Regiment in the Civil War. A short time after this a general merchandise store was opened at Hegg, which is still doing a thriving business.
Iduna. This was the name of the post office established in French Creek Valley in 1899 and which flourished for a short time under the management of John Hovre as postmaster, but ceased to exist when rural routes were established in the vicinity. As Mr. Hovre is still conducting a general mercantile business where the postoffice was located, it is quite probable the name will continue to live, notwithstanding Uncle Sam has shut up shop at that particular place. The tendency to invent a fictitious origin where the true origin is unknown, is well illustrated by a current legend which by some has been accepted as truth. The legend is this: That after the petition for the establishment of a postoffice had been granted, the Postoffice Department sent Mr. Hovre a blank asking him to suggest three names for the postoffice to be established. Hovre, being short on inventing names, and likewise on grammar and spelling, decided to let the government select the name, and wrote across the blank, "I-dono," and sent the paper back to Washington. Whether the department officials misread the final vowels or for the sake of euphony changed them, the legend does not state, but it informs us that the government practically adopted Mr. Hovre's negative reply as the name of the postoffice. Legends properly embalmed by time and firmly established in the affections of mankind, unless harmful, ought not to be ruthlessly destroyed. But this particular legend is of too modern birth to have acquired any special sanctity and as the writer is familiar with the true origin of the name, he feels in duty bound to dispel the romantic illusions created by it. When the government blank, already mentioned, was received by Mr. Hovre, it was sent to a. H. Anderson, who had assisted in getting the government's consent to the proposed postoffice. Knowing that this is a big country, with an almost unlimited use of new names, the writer at once turned to his Norse Mythology, and selected three names and sent them to the Postoffice department. Among these was the name "Iduna." According to our Northern Mythology, Iduna was the custodian of the apples of immortality which the gods tasted from time to time to perpetuate their youth. Loki, the spirit of evil, once stole the golden apples, which caused great grief in Valhalla. Iduna's husband was Bragi, the divine bard.
Martin's Corners was the original name of Centerville.
Pleasantville is named from its location in Pleasant Valley. Who gave the name of Pleasant Valley to the valley of Elk Creek is not known.
Russell was named from William Russell, who came to the county in 1864 and located in Burnside. When the postoffice was opened in Burnside Township there was considerable controversy over the name. About 20 years ago the office was moved to Chimney Rock Township, where mail was received three times a week until the office was discontinued by reason of the establishment of the rural delivery system. The school district is still known as the Russell district.
Rhodes Station, in Caledonia Township, was named from Joshua Rhodes, who settled in that locality in 1853.
Scotia was a postoffice which flourished for a while in section 7, Caledonia. The name indicates the nationality of the early settlers of that neighborhood.
Skillins' Corners. In 1860 Moses Skillins settled about five miles above Arcadia. In 1862 came his brother, Hiram Skillins, a Baptist clergyman. The creek flowing through his farm was called Skillins' Creek and the vicinity came to be called Skillins' Corners. When the postoffice was established the name was changed to Williamsburg.
Williamsburg was a name given when a postoffice was established at Skillins' Corners in 1866 with William B. Arnold as postmaster. Mr. Arnold suggested the name for the fact that three Williams, himself, William Eastman and William Boorman, all lived in the vicinity.
Wright's Corners was named from Hollister M. Wright, who settled there in 1853.
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000