Histories: Trempealeau County Historical Accounts:
"History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917":
BIOGRAPHY - D SURNAMES
Christian O. Dahl, president of the Farmer's Exchange Bank, of Osseo, Wis., and proprietor of Hillsdale Farm of 160 acres, the northeast quarter of section 2, Unity Township, was born at Coon Prairie, Vernon County, Wis., July 8, 1868. He is a son of Ole Dahl, who was born in Ringsaker, Norway, Feb. 4, 1837, and who came to America in 1865, residing for two years in New York City, where he was married in 1867 to Ane Bue. She was born in Foaberg, Norway, Sept. 24, 1846. Soon after their marriage Ole Dahl and wife came West to Wisconsin, locating first in Vernon County, in the village of Westby, where for two years Mr. Dahl followed the blacksmith's trade. In 1870 they came with their family to Unity Township, Trempealeau County, and homesteaded the farm now known as Hillsdale Farm, as above described. Here Ole Dahl spent the rest of his life, his death occurring June 14, 1916. He was a highly-respected citizen, serving on the township board for several years, also on the school board, and for a long period being one of the officials of the Synod Norwegian Lutheran church. He was also an esteemed member of the Trempealeau County Historical Society, taking a keen interest in the growth and development of the county and in the preservation of its historical records. His wife is still living and resides on the farm with her son Christian. Eight of their children are now living: Christian O., subject of this sketch; Marie, wife of Charles P. Holman, a farmer of Humbird, Wis.; Andrew, who is engaged in the ranching business at Saratoga, Wyo.; Hannah, who is housekeeper for her brothers, Olans and Thorvald, at Price, Wis.; Caroline, who married Nils Indstefjord, a farmer of Price, Wis.; Olans and Thorvald, farmers at Price, Wis., and Tilda, who resides with her brother Christian. Christian O. Dahl has resided on his present farm since his parents moved onto it in 1870, and since 1896 has been its manager. Besides planting the usual crops, he raises cattle, sheep and horses, usually milking 25 cows, for which purpose he uses a three-unit milking machine. The farm is well improved and yields good returns for the labor spent upon it. Mr. Dahl gives his chief attention to this property, but is also interested financially in other business enterprises. On July 10, 1916, he aided in organizing the Farmers' Exchange Bank, of Osseo, of which he has since been president. He is a director in the Inter-County Co-Operative Packing Company of New Richmond, Wis., and helped to organize the Osseo Farmers' Produce Company, of which he is treasurer. For a number of years Mr. Dahl has taken an active part in official life, having served as township treasurer for a period of three years, township supervisor one year, township clerk four years, school clerk 20 years, and as chairman of the township board and a member of the county board since 1908. He is a member and treasurer of the Synod Congregation of the United Norwegian Lutheran Church of America at Strum, having served in the latter office since 1904.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 596 - 597
Lars J. Dahl, who for over 40 years has been engaged in operating an 80-acre farm in section 21, Unity Township, was born in Tolgen, Norway, April 8, 1850, the son of John and Birit Hulbakdahl, both of whom died in Norway. Lars J., while in Norway, used his father's surname of Hulbakdahl, shortening it to Dahl after coming to America, which he did in 1870, making the voyage on the same ship with Ole Thomasgaard, and landing at Quebec, Canada, May 1. From there he made his way to Lansing, Iowa, where he found employment and worked at various jobs for some two years. He then removed to Menominie [sic], Wis., where for three years he was employed in the woods and on the river by the Napp[sic]-Stout Lumber Company. In the meanwhile he had been saving his money and was now in a position to start life for himself. Accordingly, coming to Trempealeau County, he purchased his present farm from the railway company and has since remained here, having been the only owner of the farm,a nd the only man on his road who had stayed on his original purchase. In so doing he has probably prospered as well as he might have done elsewhere, as his property is now very finely improved and is one of the most valuable farms of its size in the county. He operates it on the four-year rotation plan, whereby the land produces twice as much as it would without rotation, in 1915 his yield of corn being 66 bushels to the acre. In 1900 Mr. Dahl erected a barn 36 by 52 by 12 feet with a stone basement, the latter having cement floors. His residence was built in 1907 and is a brick veneer structure of two stories and basement, measuring 28 by 30 feet, the basement having cement floor and the house containing eight rooms, heated by furnace. Mr. Dahl's sound judgment and business ability have been recognized by his fellow citizens and he has served longer in public office of one kind or another than any man in his township, his activities in this direction having extended over a period of 26 years. For four years he was supervisor in Sumner Township, and he has served in Unity Township eight years as township treasurer, 11 years as assessor, and three years as chairman of the township board and consequently as a member of the county board. He is a member of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America.
Mr. Dahl was married April 3, 1878, to Nikoline Rognlien, who was born in Hurdalen, Norway, Sept. 21, 1854, daughter of Martin E. and Annie (Enerson) Rognlien, of whom a memoir may be found on another page of this volume. Ten children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Dahl: John, Anna, Bertha, Mary, Julia, Louisa, Martin, Alfred and Inga. John, who was graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1913, was for some time a school teacher, being principal of the high school at Thorp for two years and of that at Shell Lake one year, Cashton one year and Algoma four years. He was also superintendent of city schools at Bloomington Prairie, Minn., three years. His training for the profession of teacher was obtained at the River Falls normal school, where he was graduated in 1904. While engaged in this work he studied law by the correspondence method and applied himself to it so thoroughly that he qualified for the bar, during the same period earning $5,500 in his regular vocation. He is now a practicing attorney at Rice Lake, Wis. Anna graduated from the Dixon Business College, at Dixon, Ill., and resides in St. Paul, where she is cashier in a store. Bertha, who graduated from the River Falls normal school and was a teacher for ten years, is now the wife of Grover Pace, a druggist of Adams, Wis. Mary, who graduated in domestic science from the University of Chicago, is engaged in teaching domestic science at Hammond, Ind. Julia, who graduated from River Falls normal school, is now a teacher at Mason City, Iowa. Louisa, a graduate of the same normal school, is teaching at Carthage, S. D. Martin is residing on the home farm and assisting his father in its cultivation. He has the distinction of being the youngest town treasurer to serve in the county, being elected at the age of 22, and serving three years. At the age of 26 he was elected to his present office as chairman. Alfred graduated from a business college at Minneapolis in June, 1916, and is now bookkeeper in a bank at Seattle, Wash. Inga, who graduated from the La Crosse normal school, is now a teacher at Brandon, Wis. It will thus be seen that Mr. Dahl has educated his children for responsible positions in life, and that all, both sons and daughters, are making their own way in the worked, and, it may be added, reflecting credit on the family name.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 630 - 631
Ivan George Dale operates the farm owned and developed by his parents. His father, Benjamin Thomas Dale, was born July 29, 1853, on the site of the present city of La Crosse. Five years later this place was sold and the family settled on a farm in the town of Caledonia, and this, in turn, was traded to Elder Wing (thus locally acquiring the name, "The Wing Place"), for a farm located in a valley two miles west of Galesville. Various parcels of land were added to the original farm, and a more convenient building site was chosen.
Benjamin, familiarly called Ben, attended public school, Galesville University, and completed a course at the La Crosse Business College. His marriage to Elizabeth Marianne Hougstad took place April 23, 1884, and their home was established on land adjoining that of his father. Two children were born to them: Ivan George, born July 20, 1886, and Addie Albina, Feb. 6, 1888. Her husband, Gerhard B. Christophersen, formerly of Pigeon Falls, this county, is employed as a claim manager by the Twohy-Eimon Mercantile Company, wholesale grocers, Superior, Wis. Mr. Dale bought land adjoining his original farm, finally possessing 280 acres. Former owners had conducted a lime stone quarry and lime kiln, abundant quantities of material being found in the hills. Ben continued and extended these industries, later adding brick making, the farm including deep beds of clay suitable for the soft-mud brick variety. Lime and brick kilns required wood for fuel, so 100 acres of timber land was purchased in the low lands of Black River. Mr. Dale was ably assisted by his noble wife in the management of his extensive business. Finally their health broke under the strain of constant toil and the place was sold April 1, 1901, the family removing to Trempealeau, where the children continued their work in the grade schools. When Gale College was taken over by the Norwegian Lutherans in 1901 Ben Dale was made treasurer, continuing in that office until his death, April 4, 1902. He never aspired to public office, though he took a warm interest in all things pertaining to the welfare of the community. His social life, through preference, was confined to home and church. His family sold out in Trempealeau soon after his death, and returned to Galesville, purchasing a small home near Gale College, which school both children attended. Ivan at the age of eighteen operated a part of the Gale College farm. He became manager of the old homestead upon its return into the hands of the family in 1908. Ivan conducted the stone quarry in addition to the farm, discontinuing the lime and brick business. He became sole owner of the place in 1912, later closing the quarries, as the farm with its many substantial buildings required his whole time. His mother resides with him.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 497 - 498
Joseph Dale was one of the earliest pioneers of Caledonia Township, and of Trempealeau County. He was born in Utica, N. Y., June 22, 1825, and was there reared and educated. As a young man he came west and settled in Walworth County, this state. After his marriage in 1850, he came to La Crosse County, and in 1854 settled in what is now Caledonia Township, this county. He acquired a tract of wild land, broke and developed a good farm, and took his full share in the pioneer activities of the community. In 1868 he moved to Galesville, where he died Aug. 28, 1889. He was married at Hart Prairie, Walworth County, Wisconsin, Dec. 8, 1850, to Albina Fowler, who died Oct. 3, 1884.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County, Wisconsin, 1917," page 703
N. E. Dale, buttermaker for the Preston Creamery Company, of Blair, was born in Pigeon Township, Trempealeau county, July 12, 1878, son of Benedict Olson and Guina Halvorslein. The father and mother came to America as young people, and after the father's death, the mother married Louis A. Larson, of Pigeon Falls, now residing at Onalaska, Wis. The subject of this sketch was reared by his grandparents, Nels and Christina (Gunderson) Halvorslein, in Curran Township, Jackson County. As a youth he was employed at farm work, and for some three years, while attending school in Minneapolis, he was engaged as a coachman. In 1901 he began his career as a buttermaker by working in the York Creamery in Jackson County. But desiring to further perfect himself int he art, he entered the Dairy School of the university of Wisconsin, in 1902, and was duly graduated. Then, after two years' experience at Flint, Mich., he returned to Jackson County, and worked at the creamery in Irving Township for seven years. He has occupied his present position since July 1, 1911. He is thoroughly competent and efficient, and his work is highly valued by the stockholders of the company. Mr. Dale was married at Hixton, Wis., June 20, 1904, to Edith May Dimond, of Flint, Mich., who was born in Otisville, Mich., May 10,1 886, daughter of Eugene and Eva Dimond. Mr. and Mrs. Dale have seven children: Gladys, Evelyn, Glenn, Maurice, Merlin, Marjorie and Byron.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 526
Svend H. Dale, a well known and respected resident of Galesville, formerly engaged in farming, but now otherwise occupied, was born in Bergenstift, Norway, May 5, 1857, son of Hendrick Swenson by his wife Jorond Knutson. His parents, both natives of Norway, came to the United States in 1867, locating in Ettrick Township, Beaver Creek Valley. Mr. Swenson, who had been a sailor, here engaged in farming. He continued to reside in Ettrick Township until his death, which took place Jan. 1,2 1896; his wife died in September, 1897. They were the parents of eight children, of whom Svend H. was the eldest. The latter changed his name to Dale for the sake of conveninece [sic].
Svend H. Dale was ten years old when he accompanied his parents to this country. He completed his schooling in Beaver Creek Valley and remained at home until he was 24 years old. He then bought land on Beaver Creek and engaged in farming there until 1913, when he turned over the farm to his sons to operate it for him and removed to his present location, which is a tract of 230 acres adjoining the city limits of Galesville. Here he has erected a modern brick residence situated on a high bluff overlooking the business part of the city. His farm on Beaver Creek, known as the Dale farm, contains 200 acres. Mr. Dale has personally retired from general farming, but is engaged in the stock business and has served as manager of the Farmers' Shipping Association of Galesville. He is a Republican in politics and served as clerk of the school district at Beaver Creek for about 15 years. Mr. Dale was married June 7, 1882, to Catherine Herreid, who was born in Beaver Creek Valley, Gale Township, daughter of Nels O. and Thone (Kittleson) Herreid. The parents were Norwegians, the father born in Hardanger and the mother in Telemarken, the latter coming to this country during the cholera epidemic. Her husband, Nels O. Herreid, came the same year and they were married in Wisconsin. He had been a miner but after coming to this county engaged in farming. both died in Beaver Creek, Mr. Herreid being accidentally killed in 1902. His wife died in 1908. Their daughter Catherine was the youngest of five children. Mr. and Mrs. Dale have been the parents of nine children: Helmer N., who died at the age of three years; Josephine Tonettie, now Mrs. Louis Instenes, a jeweler at Blair, Wis., they have two children: Stanley Leroy and Ardyce Catherine; Helmer N., second, who resides on a part of Mr. Dale's Galesburg farm, and who married Blanche Rehfus of Minneapolis; they have one child, Earline Whilhelmina; Sanford C., a farmer and mail carrier, residing at home; Hilda, also residing at home; Gilford Roy, residing on the old Gale farm, who married Mabel Schuman of Caledonia Township; they have one child, Ruth Alvira; Normal Clarence, who is a printer on the Galesville Republican; Francis, who died in infancy, and Alice Eunice, who lives at home. Mr. and Mrs. Dale are members of the United Lutheran Church and of the order of Beavers.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 498 - 499
Leonard E. Danuser, well-known merchant of Arcadia, was born in Sauk County, Wisconsin, April 18, 1849, son of Florian and Celia (Buehler) Danuser, the pioneers. Florian Danuser was born in Canton Grisons, Switzerland, came to America in 1848, lived for some years in Sauk County, Wisconsin, and in 1855 came with other members of the family to Buffalo County, where they settled in the ravine that has since been known as the Danuser Valley. Leonard E. Danuser was reared to farm pursuits, and early turned his attention to merchandising. In 1877 he engaged in the hardware business in Independence, and thus continued until he came to Arcadia and purchased the business of Emil Maurer. The store is conducted under the name of L. E. Danuser & Son, and the son Ralph W. is the active manager. The company occupies a sightly brick building on Main street, compounds prescriptions, conducts a soda water fountain and deals in drugs, cigars, stationery, toilet articles, rubber goods, china, cut glass, jewelry and silverware. Mr. Danuser was married Dec. 6, 1877, to Hannah E. Lehman of Naperville, Ill., daughter of Henry M. and Sarah (Huber) Lehman. Mr. and Mrs. Danuser have four children: Ralph W., his father's partner; Sadie, wife of O. B. Strouse, cashier of the State Bank of Arcadia, and Lulu, who died at the age of seven years; Lillian, who is at present clerking in the store.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County, Wisconsin, 1917," page 748
Ralph W. Danuser, licensed pharmacist and active manager of the store of L. E. Danuser & Son, Arcadia, was born in Independence May 14, 1880, passed through the graded schools and graduated from the Independence high school in 1896 and the Arcadia high school in 1898. Then he took a course in pharmacy and chemistry at the University of Wisconsin, with the degree of Ph. G. Since then he has been connected with his present concern. Fraternally Mr. Danuser is a member of the Masonic order, the Elks and the Independent Foresters. Mr. Danuser was married May 22, 1909, to Ina L. Paine of Arcadia, daughter of Frank R. and Kate A. (Rathbone) Paine, and this union has been blessed with four children: Donald, born April 12, 1900; Eileen, Aug. 12,1911; Adeline, Nov. 13, 1914, and Bruce, May 26, 1917.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County, Wisconsin, 1917," page 748
Anton Davidson, general farmer and tobacco raiser, owning a farm of 160 acres in section 8, Preston Township, was born in Hedemaarken, Norway, June 24, 1868, son of David and Mary Fagerness. He lost his parents when a mere child, and in 1876, as a boy of eight years, set out alone for far-distant America, to join his brother Louis, who had sent for him. Arriving at Westby, Wis., he was met by his brothers, Louis and Hans, and by his uncle, Christopher Stephanson, and was under their care until sixteen years of age. For a time he was engaged as a member of a construction crew, then worked two years for P. S. Davidson of La Crosse as coachman. Then he entered the employ of Capt. I. H. Moulton in 1897 and moved onto it in 1899. There he has since resided. he has a pleasant home and good barns, including a large well-equipped tobacco shed. He successfully farms, raises the usual crops, breeds good stock and makes a specialty of Spanish Comstock tobacco, of which he sets out from five to ten acres each year. Mr. Davidson was married July 10, 1900, to Sophia Hunter, daughter of John and Christina Hunter, who were born and married in Berlin, Germany, and now farm near Hokah, Minn. Mrs. Davidson died Jan. 21, 1909. In the family there are three children: Daisy, Lottie and Clara, one, Milton, having died at the age of three months. Daisy is a student at the La Crosse normal school. The others are at home.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 448
David L. Davidson, proprietor of a good farm of 169 acres in sections 22 and 27, Lincoln Township, was born near Bergen, Norway, March 5, 1861. He is a son of Lars Davidson, also a native of Norway, who came to America in 1866, locating in Ettrick Township, Trempealeau County, Wis. Later he removed to Preston Township, where he subsequently resided until his death in 1909 at the age of 79 years. Lars married Julia Johnson, who did not long survive him, passing away in 1910, at the age of 81 years. David L. Davidson was reared on his parents' farm, which he purchased in 1887. He conducted it thereafter until 1911, at which time he sold it and bought his present place. In 1914 he rebuilt the barn, which is a substantial frame structure, 30 by 50 feet, with an L-shaped addition 34 by 46 feet and having a capacity of 50 head of cattle. In 1915 he built a cement block silo, 16 by 40 feet. He keeps graded Holstein cattle, milking 25. Mr. Davidson is a member of the Synod Norwegian Lutheran Church. He has served three years on the Preston Township school board, and is a man who takes a personal interest in the walfare [sic] and development of the community in which he lives. He was married July 3, 1887, to Bertha Everson, of Arcadia Township, whose father, Ever, died in Dane County, Wis. Mr. And Mrs. Davidson are the parents of six children: Louis, John, Elmer, Clarence, Ernest and Mildred. The last mentioned was the third in order of birth and is now the wife of Jacob Wilitzky, a farmer of Arcadia Township. All the others reside at home. Mr. Davidson and his family are well known and prosperous people, he and his wife reaping the reward of industry and thrift. Their children have been brought up to be a credit to the family name.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 620
John Y. Davidson, a well known and respected resident of Galesville, where he is now living retired after a long and successful career as an agriculturist, was born on his parents' farm at Decorah Prairie, Gale Township, Sept. 3, 1856, son of John and Mary (Young) Davidson. He was educated in the district school of his neighborhood and resided on the home farm until he was 21 years old, assisting his father and acquiring a good practical knowledge of farming in all its branches. When he came of age he began working in the pine woods at timber cutting during the winters, spending the summers in northern Wisconsin. After being thus occupied for six or seven years he returned to the parental homestead and resumed farming operations with his father, with whom he continued until the latter's death. Then buying out the other heirs, he operated the home farm on his own account for 12 years, at the end of which time he sold it and bought his present residence in Galesville. He still owns land in the county and is now in possession of a competence, acquired by years of industry. In addition to his land holdings he is a stockholder in the Independent Harvester Company at Plano, Ill., and the Arctic Springs Creamery of Galveston, Wis. July 5, 1904, Mr. Davidson was united in marriage with Mrs. Cornelia A. Fuller, who was born in Michigan, daughter of Elijah and Lucinda (Overacker) Brown. Her father was a native of Ohio and her mother of Albion, Mich. In 1865 they came to Wisconsin and settled at Davis Ferry on the black River, but the following year moved to Wrightsville, and a year later to Jackson County, where Mrs. Brown died. Mr. Brown then took up his residence in Neillsville, Clark County, where his death subsequently occurred. Mr. and Mrs. Davidson have an adopted child, Stella, who was born Feb. 1, 1906, and is now attending school at Galesville. Mr. Davidson is independent in politics and for six years was treasurer of District School No. 2 of Decorah Prairie. He has always taken an interest in good local government, and though taking little personal part in politics, has ever been ready to support measures calculated to promote the general welfare of the community.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 337 - 338
William Davidson, a prosperous farmer residing in section 36, Gale Township, was born on his father's farm at Decorah Prairie, Jan. 15, 1861, son of John and Mary (Young) Davidson. His parents were both natives of Scotland, the father born at Strathaven, Oct. 24, 1820. John Davidson came to the United States when a young man, locating first in Maryland, where he engaged in mining and other occupations. After awhile he went back to Scotland on a visit, then returned to Maryland with his wife, whom he had married in his native land, where she was born in 1824. In all he made three trips across the ocean. He and his family removed from Maryland to Kentucky, and after residing there awhile came in 1855, or thereabouts, to Trempealeau County, Wis., and took a farm on Decorah Prairie, Gale Township. The rest of his life was spent in the development of this property, which he improved considerable before his retirement from active work. He lived to be over 80 years of age, his death taking place in 1901. His wife Mary passed away in middle life, in 1863. She was the mother of eight children, of whom William was the seventh born.
William Davidson acquired his education in the district school at Decorah Prairie. He learned the science of agriculture from his father, whom he assisted on the home farm until he was 23 years old. In the spring of 1884 he went to Wyoming, and later, in 1885, to western Nebraska, where he homesteaded land and remained until he had fulfilled the requirements of the homestead law and obtained a full title to his property. He was engaged in the stock business there for several years, but finally gave it up and went to South Dakota, still, however, retaining possession of his land for the time. In South Dakota he purchased land in Deuel County, near Revillo, and resided there most of the time for a number of years, going back and forth between his various holdings as occasion required. In 1905 Mr. Davidson purchased his present farm and soon after sold his lands in Nebraska. In 1909 he sold also his Dakota lands and is now confining his attention to his farm of 160 acres in Gale Township, which is a highly improved piece of property, provided with substantial modern buildings and everything necessary for up to date farming. He is also a stockholder in the La Crosse Packing Company, the Independent Harvester Company of Plano, Ill., and the Farmers Elevator Exchange at Galesville. Feb. 25, 1914, Mr. Davidson was united in marriage with Mrs. Anna Johnson, a native of Kansas and daughter of William and Alice (Bonum) Lehmann, who are now residents of Trempealeau County, Mr. Lehmann being a farmer in Trempealeau Township. By a former marriage to Frederick Johnson Mrs. Davidson is the mother of one child, Harry Johnson, who resides at home. Mr. and Mrs. Davidson have had two children: Wilma, who died at the age of 15 months, and Dorothy Helen, born Feb. 6, 1917. Mr. Davidson is a member of the order of Beavers and of the American Society of Equity. The family are members of the Presbyterian church and he is independent in politics.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 400 - 401
Ben W. Davis, one of the leading business men of Galesville, where he operates a mill and is engaged in other lines of enterprise, was born in the house in which he now lives, July 28, 1867. His parents wee Wilson and Mary E. Davis, the father born March 4, 1827, Kentucky, in which state during his earlier manhood he was engaged in farming. Later Wilson Davis migrated to St. Mary's Landing, Mo., from which place he went to Minnesota, finally coming to Wisconsin. With his father, Timothy, at one time congressman from Dubuque, he built a mill at Elkader, Iowa, which was the first of several that they erected. the second was built at Pickwick, Minn., in 1854, and this they operated for about 11 years, coming to Galesville in 1866. Soon after their arrival here they built the mill that is now owned by the Davis Mill Company, starting it in 1867 and completing it in 1869. It was built of limestone found near the village and is seven stories high, measuring 98 feet from base to roof, and 50 by 70 feet ground dimensions. Its capacity is 200 barrels of flour a day. Wilson Davis operated the mill until his death in 1898, and was besides a director in the Bank of Galesville. He and his wife had four children: Augustine A., who resides in New York City, where he is engaged in the acetyline welding business; Ella, wife of Alfred Campbell, a farmer of Hartland, Wis.; Frank G., who is engaged in the retail lumber business at Tarboro, N. C., and Ben W., of Galesville. Ben W. Davis acquired his education in the school at Galesville, which he attended until he was 17 years of age. He then became a traveling salesman and followed that occupation until he was about 26 years old. Returning to Galesville in 1892 he became connected with the Davis mill in the capacity of manager and the business has since been under his control. In 1894, soon after assuming the management, Mr. Davis rebuilt and remodeled the mill. In 1898 it was burned down, but in the following year he again rebuilt it, its dimensions and capacity being each time enlarged, until its capacity has been brought up to 200 barrels a day. The company also operate an electric plant furnishing light for the city of Galesville. The principal brand of flour turned out is sold under the name of "Peach Blossom," and commands a good market throughout this section and in many of the western states. Mr. Davis gives most of his time to this business, but also has other interests, being vice-president of the Bank of Galesville, president of the Maxwell-Davis Lumber Company of Galesville, a stockholder in the Western Wisconsin Telephone Company. He is a member of the Masonic order, the Knights of Pythias and Modern Woodmen of America. In politics a Republican, he served as mayor of Galesville for nine years. As a business man and public spirited citizen he has proved himself a worthy successor to his father and has taken active part in advancing the growth and interests of the city. Mr. Davis was married in June, 1894, to Leora A. Avery, who was born in Seattle, Wash., daughter of the Rev. J. H. and Lucy (Washburn) Avery, her father being a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church. he and is wife have one child: Katharyne A., who resides at home and is attending Lawrence University at Appleton, Wis.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 301 - 302
Daniel C. Dewey, the pioneer, was born in Delaware County, N. Y., April 16, 1828, of English descent, the son of Aaron Dewey. The original ancestor in this country was Thomas Dewey, who came from Sandwich, Kent County, England, and settled in Massachusetts, where he died April 27, 1648. Daniel C. was but 4 years old when, in 1832, he removed with his parents to Cherry Valley, Ashtabula County, Ohio, where his boyhood was spent, and this early attachment made him always deeply interested in everything identified with the "Western Reserve." He came to Wisconsin when that State was but a Territory, and a few years of his youth were spent in the vicinity of Horicon, Dodge County. Later he went to Clarkson, Monroe County, N. Y., where he married. In the fall of 1852, he settled in Martin, Allegany County, Mich., where for the next five years he labored clearing up and improving a homestead. This was then a heavily-timbered country, and it is characteristic of the conditions consequent upon opening up such lands for cultivation, the felling and burning large quantities of timber, the decaying vegetation, and the steam arising from the drying of the soil heretofore shaded, almost invariably produce a state of unhealthiness, and this young couple, although each possessed of robustness fitly typical of the hardy pioneer, escaped not these malarious conditions. To avoid suffering longer, they sold their homestead and removed to Arcadia, Trempealeau County, Wis., where they arrived May 8, 1859. His brother, George D., had settled there five years previously as one of the first in this, until then, uninhabited locality by civilized men. The mother had come here in 1857, after the death of her second husband. Henry W. Dewey and Walter D. Dewey came later. Hence the Deweys must ever be regarded as among the earliest settlers of Arcadia, who made the early development of the place, promoted the welfare of the little community, and assisted in the organization of the town, and its early government. The nearest postoffice was at Fountain City, upon the Mississippi River, over 20 miles away. It was also the market place, and where supplies were purchased and drawn to the little community with oxteams over roads of the crudest and most primitive construction. The community grew, prospered and developed rapidly. The Deweys were energetic, public spirited and, it is safe to say, were as potent factors in promoting the interests of the community as any therein. Daniel Dewey was for a long time a school officer. He solicited immigration, procured the establishment of mail routes, carried the mails, laid out and built roads, nearly swamped himself financially by contributing too liberally to the building of a church. In the War of the Rebellion he enlisted in Company C, Thirtieth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, on Aug. 10, 1862, and served as sergeant of his company. One day when stationed at Camp Randall, while in charge of a squad of men who had been assigned to duty in the removal of some stone, to encourage his men he took a hand with them and, in his enthusiasm, accidently overdid, the strain producing double hernia, and not long thereafter was discharged for disability incurred. He never fully recovered, and although his death did not occur until July 4, 1889, it is thought that this army service accident may have been the remote cause of his disease, an operation for which at the hospital in St. Paul, whither he had gone for treatment, he did not survive. Like his father, was a great reader and well informed on the political and other events of his day. In politics a Republican, though not a strong partisan. In religious matter his were the most progressive views, very genial in his nature, broad-minded in his conception of humanity, kind as a friend, fearless as an enemy, charitable, public spirited, always entertaining a deep interest in that which was deemed a benefit to the commonwealth. He suffered much pain from his disease for the last five years of life, but bore it well and did not complain. He married, June 5, 1852, at Clarkson, N. Y., Josephine M. Trumbull, daughter of William and Polly (Cropsey) Trumbull. His father was born Oct. 4, 1836, in Rensselaer County, N. Y., and died Jan. 15, 1896. After her husband's death his mother lived with her son Jay on the old homestead, and with her daughter Ida on the farm adjoining. She was of a quiet, sunny disposition, with a tendency to see only the bright side of everything of life. Young and old confided in her, knowing that their secret troubles were safely lodged in the repository of a faithful breast whose heart throbs would beat in sympathy and pour oil of soothing influence upon the troubled waters. There are three children: Ida, widow of D. L. Holcombe, of Arcadia; Ada, widow of H. C. Haigh, of Bismarck N. D., and Jay I., a leading citizen of Arcadia.
-Transcribed from "The History of Trempealeau County, Wisconsin, 1917," pages 716 - 717
Jay I. Dewey, general manager of the Western Wisconsin Telephone company, is one of the best known men in the county. For ten years he has been a most important factor in the success of the company of which he has had charge, his wide acquaintance throughout the extensive territory which the service covers, his executive ability and his genial personality, coupled with his genuine interest of all those whom his lines serve, all combining to make him an ideal man for the position. It is not alone in the affairs of this concern, however, that he is assisting in the development of the county. Since 1898 he has been president of the Arcadia Board of Education, in which time he has guided the public school of Arcadia from a small village academy to the magnificent institution which it is today; he was actively interested in the building of the present schoolhouse, and has been a leader in the installation of the vocational and recreational departments. Since January, 1914, his business experience has been of much value to the county in his exercise of his duties as president of the Trempealeau County Insane Asylum. While he has consistently sought to avoid public office, he has nevertheless listened to the call of duty and has served as chairman of his township for eight years, and in other local office, besides having been a member of numerous committees and delegations. His business holdings include extensive farming interests at Old Arcadia, and stock in the Bank of Arcadia, of which he is a director. His fraternal relations are with the Masonic order, in the Blue Lodge and Chapter of which he has passed through all the chairs. A native of Kalamazoo, Mich., where he was born Dec. 10, 1858, he is a son and nephew of two of Arcadia's leading pioneer families, his parents, Daniel C. and Josephine (Trumbull) Dewey, having brought him to Old Arcadia in 1859. He attended the public schools of Old Arcadia, and supplemented this training with courses in the Winona Business College at Winna, Minn. His early life was devoted to agricultural endeavor, and farming has since continued to be his hobby. In 1889, after his father's death, he purchased the old home farm of 40 acres, and so successfully conducted it that in time he built up his present splendid place of 298 acres of as good land as is to be found in the county. He developed the farm, remodeled the house, erected new barns and outbuildings, and for a number of years successfully carried on general farming, making a specialty of the dairy type of graded Shorthorn cattle. He now rents the farm, but still lives there. Jan. 1, 1907, Mr. Dewey listened to the request of his friends who were vitally interested in the Western Wisconsin Telephone Company and accepted his present position, in which he has since faithfully served, greatly to the credit of himself and the benefit of the community. Mr. Dewey was married, Aug. 6, 1885, to Ella Arnold, daughter of William B. and Clara (Sawyer) Arnold, the former of whom lives in Winona, and the latter of whom died in 1902. Mr. and Mrs. Dewey have had two children: Theron A., who died at the age of 2 years, and Myrrl, who died at the age of 4 years.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 717 - 718
William H. Dick, one of the leading and most progressive farmers in Gale Township and a large land owner, is a native of the township, having been born at Decorah Prairie, April 21, 1864. He is a son of William and Rosana (Neil) Dick, natives of Scotland, who were married in that country and came to the United States in 1846, first settling in Maryland. There for a few years Mr. Dick, the elder, was engaged in mining. It was not long, however, before he heard of better opportunities in the great Northwest, and soon after he was found among the pioneers of Trempealeau County, Wisconsin, taking land in section 36, Gale Township, which now constitutes the farm of his son, William H. He became an extensive land owner and for a number of years was actively engaged in the stock business. His death occurred in 1907. His wife, who survives him, is now living with her son John in Gale Township.
William H. Dick was the youngest member of his parents' family, which numbered eight children. He acquired the elements of knowledge in the district school at Decorah Prairie and learned agriculture on the home farm under his father. When he was 21 years old he became the owner of the farm, consisting of 248 acres of land, and has since been engaged in general farming. He has made some valuable improvements on the place, the more substantial buildings having been erected by him. In addition to this place, he owns 200 acres in Black River bottoms and 60 acres of timberland. He keeps a large amount of stock and his business is steadily growing. Mr. Dick is also a stockholder in the La Crosse Packing Company, the Galesville Creamery, the Independent Harvester Company of Plano, Ill., and the farmers' Warehouse Elevator at Galesville. In politics he is a Republican, but has taken no active part in local government. Feb. 22, 1888, Mr. Dick was united in marriage with Alice Brown, who was born at Decorah Prairie, Trempealeau County, daughter of George and Ellen (Irvine) Brown. Her father was born in Vermont April 23, 1831, and her mother in Scotland, Aug. 8, 1840, their marriage taking place in America. George Brown came when a lad of 14 years to Wisconsin. He was a pioneer of Gale Township and did his share in developing its agricultural resources, breaking in and improving a considerable quantity of land during his active career. His death took place in 1902. His wife is still living and resides with her son and daughter half a mile east of her daughter Mrs. Dick, the three children mentioned constituting their entire family. Mr. and Mrs. Dick's family also consists of three children: Lester William, who married Laura Agnes Stellpflug, and is a farmer in Gale Township, having one child, Armond Leo; Rose Ellen and Hazel Leila, who reside at home with their parents. Mr. and Mrs. Dick both belong to the two fraternal orders of Beavers and Yeomen, and Mr. Dick also to the Red Men. They are among the most prosperous residents in this part of the country and have a wide acquaintance.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 500 - 501
David R. Dissmore, well known to the inhabitants of Pigeon Township as proprietor of the old Dissmore homestead, consisting of 200 acres in section 8, was born in Viroqua, Wis., Sept. 16, 1863, son of George P. and Mary E. (Rogers) Dissmore. His father was one of the well-known and respected citizens of the township, of which he was a resident for many years. Born in Marblehead, Mass., in 1835, George P. Dissmore, while still a young man, emigrated to the great Northwest. He was married in Mauston, Juneau County, Wis., in 1859, to Mary E. Rogers, who was born in 1841, and for some time he resided in Vernon County, coming to Trempealeau County in 1863. In the spring of the following year he homesteaded the farm on which his son David now resides, and here he made his home until 1895. As a minister affiliated with the Baptist denomination, he served the church at Whitehall for several years, and also preached three years in Polk County and two years in Barron County. He died at Whitehall in 1908, his wife passing away in 1914 at Whitehall. They were the parents of a family numbering 14 children, of whom four are now deceased. The record of the living is as follows: Mary, wife of Forest Van Sickle, a retired farmer of Ryder, N. D.; Lyvenia, wife of James Maloney, a farmer of Hale Township, Trempealeau County; David R., of Pigeon Township; Jessie, wife of Archie Wood, a contractor of Whitehall; Sarah, now Mrs. Ole Knosberg, her husband being a farmer and gardener of Barron, Wis.; Emma, wife of Louis Dowd, a farmer of Weston, Ore.; Martha, wife of Gotlieb Nogossek, a farmer of Hale Township, this county; George, who is farming in Oregon; Ruth, now Mrs. Fred Wallace, of Osceola, Wis., and Rheuamy, wife of Oscar J. Olson, of Saginaw, Ore.
David R. Dissmore was reared on his parents' farm in section 8, Pigeon Township, and in the year 1900 became its manager. It became his property by purchase in 1914 and as owner he is continuing the work of improvement which he began as manager. Besides general farming, he is a considerable producer of honey, keeping 130 colonies of Italian bees. In these enterprises he has achieved success and now takes rank among the prosperous citizens of his township. He was married, May 18, 1892, to Alice Breed, of old Whitehall, daughter of Calvin and Anna (Crane) Breed, her parents being now residents of Whitehall. He and his wife are the parents of eight children: Elbert, Clinton, Sidney, Reuben, Lily, Florence, George and Lulu. The family are affiliated religiously with the Baptist church.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 518 - 519
John C. Dopp, who is conducting a good farm in sections 3, 10 and 11, Gale Township, known and registered as "Pleasant View Farm," is a native of Trempealeau County, having been born near Frenchville, in Gale Township, April 17, 1865. His parents were born in Germany, but were married in the state of Iowa. The father, John Dopp, born in Mecklenburg, Germany, Feb. 25, 1837, came to the United States while still a young man under 20 years of age, and lived for awhile in McGregor, Iowa. His first winter in this country was spent in Prairie du Chien, where he earned only 25 cents a week as wages, his employer evidently taking advantage of his ignorance, as he was unable to speak English. In addition to the anxiety caused by his inability to find remunerative employment, he was attacked by typhus fever and was very sick, though finally recovering. Later he was in the employ of an English family at Iowa, in which were two little girls, who taught him to speak English. After a year with this family he came to Trempealeau County, crossing the river at Trempealeau in a skiff. Here he worked awhile for Mr. Healy, but soon after took a homestead near Frenchville, which farm he developed and improved, residing on it until his death, Oct. 16, 1908. He married Fredericka Schmidt, who was born in Germany, Jan. 26, 1838, and who survived him and is now living in the old home with her daughter, Mrs. Dennis Brophy. They have five children, of whom John C. was the first born.
John C. Dopp in his boyhood attended school at Frenchville. He learned agriculture on his father's farm, and at the age of 17 years began working out for others, varying this employment with work on the home farm at intervals. From the age of 21 to that of 30 he worked by the month. He then took his present farm, which at the time had practically no improvements. He has 160 acres of land, which is now well cultivated, and has erected large well equipped barns, and a good modern brick residence. Here he carries on general farming, including the raising of stock, and is doing a prosperous business. His breeding operations are confined chiefly to Durham cattle, Poland-China hogs and Percheron horses. In addition to his immediate farming interests, he is a stockholder in the Arctic Springs Creamery Company and the La Crosse Packing Company. In politics Mr. Dopp is independent. While not politically active, he served as justice of the peace for two years and as school clerk six years. May 1, 1898, Mr. Dopp was united in marriage with Anna Margaretha Elizabeth Claussen, who was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, March 11, 1869, daughter of Peter H. and Anna M. (Messer) Claussen, both natives of the same province, where the father was born Nov. 7, 1836, and the mother Aug. 17, 1837. They came to the United States in April, 1870, and after one summer in Chicago, came in the following November to Trempealeau County, Mr. Claussen locating on what is now known as the old Claussen homestead at Frenchville. He is now practically retired, his son operating the farm. At various times Mr. Claussen held local office and for many years has been one of the best known and most respected citizens of his township. Mr. and Mrs. Dopp are the parents of five children: Esther Margeretha, Herman Claussen, John Henry, Mary Magdalene and Anna Elizabeth. The three older children are students at the Galesville High School, while the two younger ones are attending the rural school of this district. Anna Elizabeth, the youngest, only seven years old, will enter the fourth grade September, 1917. Religiously the family are affiliated with the Presbyterian Church.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 338 - 339
John Durisch, a well known and highly esteemed citizen of Arcadia Village, now living retired after a long and active career, was born in Switzerland, June 21, 1846. With his parents, Thomas and Anna Durisch, also natives of Switzerland, he came to America in 1852, landing at New York. From that city the family came west to Prairie Du Sac, Wis., where they lived until 1856. They then migrated to Buffalo County, making the trip overland by ox team and driving before them twenty-one head of cattle. Arriving after a twelve-days' journey, they settle in Danuser's Valley, Montana Township, where Thomas Durisch bought 160 acres of new land from the government. With the aid of his son, John, he grubbed and cleared the land, building of tamarack a comfortable log house, 16 by 20 feet, hewn inside and out, and which was the pride of all that region. Mr. Durisch continued to cultivate and improve his farm until his sudden death while plowing in the field in 1861. The mother, Anna Durisch, was born Sept 4, 1810, and died at the home of her son in Arcadia at the age of 100 years. John Durisch was six years old when he accompanied his parents from Switzerland. He had attended the common and parochial schools in his native land and had but little further education after coming to America. At his father's death he was sixteen years of age and he subsequently operated the farm for his widowed mother up to 1869, breaking about forty acres more of the land. His father had built a substantial log barn, 20 by 24 feet, which added to the value of the property. In 1872 Mrs. Durisch rented the farm and with her family moved to Fountain City. The family included, in addition to the subject of this sketch, a daughter, Agnes, who was born in Switzerland, and who married Christ Mauele, a farmer of Montana Township. She died in Arcadia in 1893. The subject of this sketch and his mother resided in Fountain City up to 1874. He married Lucy, daughter of Christ and Elizabeth Kindschy, pioneer settlers of Buffalo County, in 1870. In the spring of 1874 he arrived in Arcadia Village with his wife. Building a small house on what is now Deer Park Street, he entered into the teaming and livery business, and was thus occupied until 1898. He then traded the business for an improved farm of 160 acres in Lewis Valley, Arcadia Township, but remained in town and rented the farm. In 1876 the big flood came and wrecked Mr. Durisch's house in Arcadia. He then built his present brick veneer residence on Main Street, a nice-appearing and comfortable dwelling. His first wife died in 1893. They had one son, Thomas C., who was born February 10, 1872, died in 1884. Mr. Durisch remained a widower for a short time and then, in 1895, married Katherine, daughter of John and Katherine Maurer, of Arcadia. A Republican in politics, he was elected sheriff in 1894, and served one term, retaining his residence in Arcadia, and having a deputy, N. L. Fredrickson, in charge at Whitehall. For many years he served as village marshal, a member of the village board and as street commissioner. In 1914 he retired from active business life and in the same year sold his Lewis Valley farm. A number of years ago he invested in lands in the state of Montana, his interest in which he still retains. He is also a stockholder in the Western Wisconsin Telephone Company. Among his earlier activities may be mentioned the fact that, with J. I. Dewey, Charles Miller and James Gaveney (father of John C. Gaveney), he made the first canvass of Arcadia Township for 500 cows to stock the first creamery in this section, which creamery was built at Arcadia, west of the Trempealeau River. For a number of years Mr. Durisch hauled cream and butter from this creamery, often taking as many as sixty 60-pound tubs at one load. Mr. Durisch was reared in the faith of the German Evangelical Church and is an active member of St. John's Church of that denomination at Arcadia, of which with A. F. Hensel, Herman Cloug and Jacob Schneller, he was one of the founders. He was treasurer of the church for twenty-two years and for a number of years superintendent of the Sunday School. He and his wife are members of the best society in the village.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 731 - 732
Isaac Arthur Dutton, proprietor of Maplewood farm in section 9, Trempealeau Township, was born at Whitewater, Walworth County, Wis., June 12, 1855, son of John and Delia B. (Huntley) Dutton, who were residents of Utica, N. Y. Both parents were born in the state of New York and they were married in Utica in May, 1846. In 1850 they moved to Wisconsin, going by way of the Great Lakes to Milwaukee, and then overland to Whitewater, Wis., by team. Here John Dutton bought 160 acres of unimproved land, and there being no house on it he and his family spent the first six months in a corn crib. In 1857 he built a frame house one and a half stories in height, with five rooms below and two upstairs. This house is still standing and is now occupied by Mrs. Esther Hanson, a cousin of the subject of this sketch. In 1866 the Dutton family moved to Trempealeau County, the parents, with their son Isaac A., coming by train to La Crosse, while Charles, another son, and Henry Cox, a friend, drove a team across the country. Reuniting at La Crosse, they came the rest of the way to Trempealeau County up the river on the ice. The father had bought 200 acres of wild land in section 10, Trempealeau Township, now known as the Shumway place; also 40 acres of timber land near Henry Kopp's present homestead in section 22. He now constructed a frame house, consisting of an upright and "L," and containing 10 rooms, and a two-story granary. Here John Dutton and his family resided until 1880, when he retired and moved to Galesville. He died in Galesville March 5, 1907, being survived several years by his wife, who died in that village April 4, 1911. Their children were: Charles, born in New York state, in December, 1846, who is an employee of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company and resides at Winona, Minn.; Mary Ellen, born in New York state in April, 1850, who is the wife of the Rev. A. L. Tull, a Methodist minister, now residing at Atlanta, Ga.; Lydia Ann, born at Whitewater, Wis., Dec. 25, 1852, who married George Tobey of Trempealeau and died in 1874, being buried in Evergreen Cemetery; Isaac Arthur, whose name appears at the head of this sketch; George Ellsworth, born at Whitewater, March 13, 1861, who died February, 1901, and is buried at "High Cliff," Galesville, Wis.; Cora Belle, born Oct. 5, 1866, at Whitewater, and now living at Seattle, Wash., the widow of George E. Sanderson; Jennie Euretta, born Sept. 19, 1870, who is unmarried and is living at Winona, Minn., where she is matron at the Young Woman's Christian Association.
Isaac Arthur Dutton resided with his parents on the old Dutton homestead farm until he was 23 years old. He was educated in district school No. 9, Trempealeau Township, which he attended until the age of 16 years, then at Wasioja, Minn., and later at the Trempealeau high school. Nov. 10, 1878, he was married at Centerville, Wis., by Rev. A. L. Tull of the M. E. Church (a brother-in-law) to Eveline Lydia, daughter of Zebulon Mantor and Minerva Jane (Cook) Viles. She was born in Richmond, Walworth County, Wis., and on the father's side is a descendant of John Hancock, and on the mother's of the Marquis de Lafayette, and from 1861 up to the present time has resided in the same township and within sight of the house in which she lived 35 years ago. She was educated in Trempealeau township, and as a girl went barefooted to school, church and Sunday school over the road she now traverses in an automobile. When she first came to this township from Whitewater she made the journey by ox team, which required two weeks, but in 1915 she visited her old home, going by automobile and thoroughly enjoying the contrast afforded by that method of travel with the primitive methods of her younger days, this last trip being made in two days.
After his marriage Mr. Dutton remained on his farm until 1885, and then, in the spring of that year, bought 80 acres in section 9, to which land he had added 100 more adjoining it on the west. He has greatly improved the house, which was a very primitive dwelling, and has erected several other buildings, among them in 1896 the first round barn in Trempealeau Township. This barn has an 80-foot drain, with 20-foot studding, and a stone basement, with a silo in the center of the barn, 44 by 16 feet, and having a capacity of 170 tons. His other buildings include hog, corn and hen houses. He keeps a good herd of grade cows and markets about 125 hogs annually, and is doing a prosperous dairy business. He has thoroughly equipped creamery, turning out annually about 5,000 gallons of cream, which he ships to La Crosse. For 25 years he was a breeder of Red Poll registered cattle, and attained a high reputation, exhibiting at the Chicago International Fat Stock Show, and at the Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin State Fairs annually. He always carried about 50 head and sold and shipped registered stock to Tennessee and other southern states, to many western states, and to Canada. For 16 years the entire butter product of Maplewood Farm was marketed in Winona, Minn., at a uniform price of 25 cents a pound.
Mr. and Mrs. Dutton have had three children: Carroll Arthur, Mabel Eva and Mae Belle. Carroll Arthur was born Nov. 13, 1879, in Trempealeau Township. He attended the district school, Trempealeau high school for two years, and Gale College two years, afterwards taking a two years' course in the agricultural College of Wisconsin. He resides at home and assists his father in the management of the diary, in which line of work he is very competent. While at the agricultural college he was a winner of two medals in a class of 101 members, first prize as the best judge of horses and the second prize as best judge of cattle, hogs and sheep. Mabel Eva, born July 12, 1884, in Trempealeau Township, died Aug. 11, 1887, and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery. Mae Belle, born Aug. 6, 1889, also in this township. She was graduated from the Trempealeau high school in 1909, and trained as nurse at Asbury Hospital, Minneapolis. April 12, 1917, she was united in marriage to H. W. Colt. They reside on a farm in Gale Township. Mr. Dutton is a stockholder int he Western Wisconsin Telephone Company, and a stockholder in and life member of the International Fat Stock Show, Chicago. He is a Prohibitionist by principle, and he and his family are members of the Centerville M. E. Church, of which he has been a trustee for years, Mrs. Dutton being a member of the Ladies' Aid Society. Their home, Maplewood Farm, is one of the best pieces of agricultural property in this part of the county. The soil is a dark silty loam, mixed with fine sand, but without gravel, and the land is sufficiently rolling to make perfect drainage. The buildings are located on a gentle rise of ground, sloping south, and sheltered on the west by a large grove of maple trees, from which the farm derives its name. The equipment of machinery and tools is very complete and the best of its kind. Church and school are located but three-quarters of a mile away, while two stores and blacksmith shop are within a mile and a quarter. The farm has been the home of the Duttons for 32 years and has always been operated as a combined dairy and general stock farm. Nearly all hay and grain produces has been fed on the farm and the manure returned to the land.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 341 - 343
Herbert Duxbury, proprietor of Valley Belle Farm of 173 acres in sections 8 and 17, Preston Township, was born near Hixton, Jackson County, Wis., Aug. 5, 1861. He is a son of Joseph and Sarah Ann (Ashworth) Duxbury, the former of whom was born at Hyde, Cheshire, England, in 1835, son of James and Jane Duxbury. James, who was a weaver by occupation, died in England, and about 1854 his widow, with the other members of the family, came to the United States, locating at Lonsdale, R. I., where she died, and where her son Joseph, father of the subject of this sketch, worked at the weaver's trade, which he had learned in England. In 1855 Joseph joined the tide of westward emigration, coming to Fond du Lac County, Wis., where he remained for about a year. He then went from there to Hixton, Jackson County, this State, but soon returned to Lonsdale, R. I., where he was married in 1858 to Sarah Ann Ashworth. In 1865 he located on a farm near Hixton, Jackson County, Wis., and was engaged in farming there for 35 years, or until 1900. Then removing to Blair, Trempealeau County, he engaged in the livery business there, being thus occupied for three years. In 1904 he retired to Alva [sic] Center, where he now lives with his wife. Herbert Duxbury resided at home until the age of 26 years, and gave all his earnings to his father. He learned agriculture on his father's farm and was manager of the Hugh Price farms in Price County, Wis., from 1887 to 1891. He then bought a farm in Garden Valley Township, Jackson County, operating it until 1902, at which time he purchased his present farm in Preston Township, Trempealeau County. Here he is engaged in general agricultural work, breeding graded Brown Swiss cattle, Berkshire hogs and White Orpington chickens, doing a successful business. June 1, 1888, Mr. Duxbury was united in marriage with Julia Grunlien of Northfield Township, Jackson County. She died March 30, 1901, at the age of 36 years, leaving four children: Mrs. Mary Dilworth of Campbell, Minn.; Lyle, now a barber at Blair; Glen and Robert, who reside with their father, and one that died in infancy. Mr. Duxbury married for his second wife, June 28, 1903, Mrs. Dorthea Frederickson, widow of Mathias Frederickson, a farmer of Jackson county. She was born in Norway, June 14, 1864, her family name being Shanke. By her first husband Mrs. Duxbury had eight children: Alice, who died at the age of nine years; Milton, who died at the age of one year; Christian, who resides on the farm with his mother; Reidar, now a student int he State Agricultural College; Milton (second), employed in the C. J. Gibson furniture store at Blair, Wis.; Oscar, who is learning the business of railroad agent at Blair; Gudfreid, who married Lester Sly, a farmer of Jackson County, and Helen, who lives with her mother. By her marriage with Mr. Duxbury three children have been born: Arthur and Harold, who are living on the farm with their parents, and one that died at birth. Mr. Duxbury was elected assessor of the town of Preston in 1916 and re-elected in 1917.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 531
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000