Histories: Trempealeau County Historical Accounts:
"History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917":
BIOGRAPHY - E SURNAMES
C. K. Edison was born on his father's farm near Vassevangen, Norway, Nov. 5, 1854, a son of Knud Aadson and Cecelia Sjursdatta Gjelle, who were natives of Vass, Norway, where they were numbered among the most distinguished and representative farmers of their community. Both died in their native land, he in 1859, and is wife in 1883. C. K. Edison attended the public and high school of Norway and at the age of 16 set out for the new country across the seas. In April, 1870, we find him and his sister embarking in a sail ship bound for America. They had to furnish their own board while on the ship. It took them seven weeks from the time of leaving the port of Bergen, Norway, until they arrived at Quebec, Canada, and then they spent about three weeks traveling on steamboats and railroads before they reached their destination near Decorah, Iowa, in which place they arrived in July. They stopped there during summer and in the fall the same year, in company with their cousin, started for Dodge County, Minnesota, going in a so-called prairie schooner pulled by a yoke of oxen. Mr. Edison spent about three years at that place working in the harvest fields in summer and working for his board and attending school in winter. In 1874 he returned on a trip to his native land to pay a visit to his mother and brother, returning to his adopted country the next year. In 1880 he came to Trempealeau County, Wis. July 30, 1881, he was united in holy bonds of matrimony to Mary Herbjornson, who was born in Iowa County, Wis., Aug. 8, 1862, a daughter of Hans and Guri Herbjornson, both now deceased, the father dying in 1898 and the mother in 1903. In 1884 he purchased part of his present farm in section 7, Chimney Rock Township. He has resided on this place continuously since, with the exception of three years spent in Eleva and two years in Superior, Wis. Mr. Edison on his arrival in Trempealeau County did valuable service as pioneer school teacher for about ten years. He now owns a good dairy farm of 333 acres, on which he keeps on an average about 30 milch cows, with young stock and a lot of horses. The farm is under a good state of cultivation. He has erected modern and substantial buildings. The neatness in appearance of the entire place bespeaks thrift, coupled with good judgment, in behalf of its owner. Mr. Edison has always acted as a leader in his community. As such he was a member of a committee who built the new church and the brick school house, also in laying out a good road in Bennett Valley, etc. He has served as town supervisor, justice of the peace, clerk of his school district for 12 years, and for 23 years he has done efficient service as town clerk. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Edison has been blessed with the birth of nine children: Ed, Cecelia, Gertie, Hilma, Charles, George, Gertie Bertina, Horace, Kemel and Marvin. Ed married Lizzie Holten and is associated with his father on the home farm. Cecelia became the wife of John Killnes, a farmer of Dover Township, Buffalo County, Wis. George married Josephina Austen, and is farming. Horace is clerking in a store at Mondovi, Wis. Marvin is attending high school at the same place. Charles and Kemel are farming at home. Gertie Elma died at the age of 4 years. Gertie Bertina keeps house for her father, the mother having died Aug. 23, 1917. In the death of Mrs. Edison the family are deprived of a most accomplished woman, who through all her years was a loyal wife and loving mother. The family are members of the Bennett Valley Norwegian Lutheran church, Mr. Edison being one of the organizers, and of which he has ever been a beneficent supporter.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 593 - 594
Ole J. Eggum, attorney-at-law and man of affairs, now located at Whitehall, was born in Dane County, Wis., March 10, 1878, the fifth of nine children born to John L. and Martha (Eggum) Eggum. John L. Eggum was born in Sogn, Norway, came to America in 1857 and located in Dane County, Wis., living for a short time in Norway Grove, and then going to Mount Horeb, where he farmed until his death, March 13, 1904. His wife, Martha, whom he married in 1865, was also born in Sogn, Norway, and was brought to Dane County by her parents in 1854, when only 9 years of age. She passed away Feb. 9, 1896. Ole J. Eggum passed through the common schools, and in 1897 was graduated from the Mount Horeb Academy, at Mount Horeb, Wis. After teaching for a while he entered the collegiate department of the University of Wisconsin, and graduated in 1904. He then worked in Chicago and Los Angeles. In 1906 he was employed by the Insurance Investigating Committee of the Wisconsin Legislature to compile insurance laws, statistics and other insurance information, at Madison and Milwaukee. Subsequently he entered the Law Department of the University of Wisconsin and was admitted to the bar in 1907. For the next two years he practiced at Abbotsford, Wis., and did law editorial work for a law book company of St. Paul. In May, 1909, he formed a partnership at Whitehall with Herman L. Ekern, who was State Insurance Commissioner from 1910 to 1915. The partnership was dissolved April 1, 1913, and Mr. Eggum has since continued the practice alone. He never sought public office, but has taken an active interest in public affairs and has been called to various positions of public honor and trust. Mr. Eggum was married Feb. 16, 1909, to Alice M. Bushey, of Appleton, born at Plainfield, Wis., June 14, 1878, daughter of George P. and Elizabeth (Hutchinson) Bushey, the former of whom died in February, 1917, and the latter of whom died June 30, 1909. Before her marriage Mrs. Eggum taught in various public schools of the State, including the State School for Dependent Children at Sparta, and for two years was a district representative of the Wisconsin Home Finding Society. Since coming to Whitehall she has taken an active interest in public welfare work and is now president of the Trempealeau County Woman Suffrage Association. Mr.a nd Mrs. Eggum have an adopted son, Karl William, who was born Nov. 9, 1916.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 312 - 313
Gilbert O. Eid, of Hegge Cooley, Pigeon Township, has one of the best developed farms in this region, and is regarded as one of the most modern and progressive agriculturists in this part of the county. Since young boyhood, he has devoted his efforts to improving his present place, and the results, bearing testimony on every side to thrift, foresight and appreciation of beauty, have fully justified his endeavor. Born in Blakjer, Norway, June 14, 1858, son of Ole Gulbrandson Eid and Marte A. (Thoreid) Eid he came with them to America in 1871, lived six months in Minnesota, and then with them came to Hegge Cooley. He assisted his parents with the farm duties, and in 1884 purchased the home place. Previously he had purchased two 40-acre tracts adjoining, and later he bought other adjacent property, until he now owns 420 acres of as good land as is to be found in the county, all being in section 2, except 40 acres in section 3. Upon acquiring ownership of the homestead, Mr. Eid continued its improvement. He remodeled and enlarged the dwelling, barns and other buildings, and in 1900 he erected his present sightly home. This is an ideal farmhouse in every way, beautiful, comfortable and convenient. It is heated with hot air system, equipped with modern plumbing, furnishing a continual supply of hot and cold water, and is provided with an electric light plant, illuminating both house and barns. The other farm buildings are fully in keeping with the residence. The whole place is beautified with a well-kept lawn, dotted with flowers and shrubbery, and sloping in grassy sweeps from the building to the highway. The farm is a fertile one and produces the usual crops; diversified farming and stock raising being conducted along the latest approved methods, and a specialty being made of a fine dairy herd of Holstein cattle headed by a full-blooded sire. In addition to his farm holdings, Mr. Eid is a stockholder in the Pigeon Grain & Stock Company, the People's State Bank, of Whitehall, and the Whitehall Community Hospital. Mr. Eid was married July 2, 1882, to Karen Koslien, who was born in Faaber, Gulbrandsdahlen, Norway, on Nov. 25, 1859, and died Sept. 20, 1907. Throughout all her married life she proved a faithful wife, a loving mother and a kind and charitable woman, and her death was not only a great loss to the family, but a matter of sincere grief to the community wherein her worth was known. She left seven children: May, Olga Nora, Clara, Ella, Anna, George A. and Orvel. May was born May 28, 1883, and is the wife of Charles Borreson, a farmer of Rat Cooley. Olga Nora was born May 22, 1885, and is the wife of Albert Johnson, who helps operate the Eid farm. Clara was born Sept. 30, 1886, and lives at home. Ella was born Feb. 7, 1891, and is now the wife of Edward Goplin, of Hale Township. Anna, born Sept. 22, 1892; George A., born March 12, 1895; and Orvel, born Dec. 25, 1897, are at home. March 27, 1913, Mr. Eid married Mrs. Amelia (Christopherson) Foss, born Feb. 12, 1860, daughter of C. Christopherson and Christine (Peterson) Christopherson, and widow of Anders Foss, who died April 26, 1900, leaving four children: Anna, now Mrs. Richard Lieske; Caroline, Mabel and Josephine.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 772 - 773
Ole Gulbrandson Eid, one of the pioneers of Hegge Cooley, spent many years of his life in developing a farm in this county, and was numbered among the substantial and successful citizens. He was born in Blakjar, Norway, and was there reared on a farm. In 1871, hoping to better his condition and to seek the broader opportunities of the New World, he brought his family to America, and while looking about for a location, established himself in Minnesota for six months. Then he came to Trempealeau County and purchased 160 acres in Hegge Cooley, Pigeon Township, and began his career as an American farmer. He broke and developed a fine place, and became one of the representative men of the county. After many years of hard work and successful endeavor, he retired, but continued to live on the homestead with his son, Gilbert O. He died there Aug. 26, 1904, and his wife passed away Dec. 21, 1893. They were the parents of six children: Ole and Marius, who are dead; Gilbert O., on the old homestead; Andrew, a merchant at Merrillan, Wis., and Hans and Ole, farmers in Northfield Township, Jackson County.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 772
Lars Eide, who is engaged in agricultural operation of a farm of 275 acres in section 4-8, Hale Township, was born in Rumsdale, Norway, April 8, 1869. His parents were John and Ellen (Larson) Eide, both natives of Norway. John Eide, who was born in 1843, came to America with his wife and family in 1882, locating on 160 acres of land, constituting the northeast quarter of section 5, Hale Township, this county, where he followed farming until his death in 1908. His wife, who was born in 1835, died in the spring of 1910. Lars Eide arrived in the United States in 1883 and from that time to 1886 lived on the farm with his father. He then went to Glasgow, Mont., where for three years he was engaged in the cattle business. Then, returning home, he worked out four years for others. Resolving to engage in agriculture on his own account, he rented his present farm from A. Amundson and began operations. In 1890 he bought that part of the farm lying in section 4, and in 1893 purchased the remainder, which is located in section 8, and has since resided here engaged in general farming. He has made a number of improvements on the place, thereby increasing its value and is doing a successful and profitable business. In 1909 Mr. Eide built a good house of 10 rooms, consisting of two stories and basement; and in 1915 he erected a barn and silo, the former measuring 36 by 94 by 16 feet, with a basement 60 feet long, provided with cement floors and 40 steel stanchions. His silo is 12 by 32 feet. His herd of cattle numbers 40 head, of which he milks 20. For two years he has served as township supervisor. Mr. Eide was married May 22, 1896, to Clara Amundson, who was born on Mr. Eide's present farm May 9, 1873, a daughter of Amund and Thea (Halvorson) Amundson. Her father, who was a pioneer of Bruce Valley, died on this farm in 1912 at the age of 88½ years, his wife having passed away in the spring of 1897 at the age of 62. they were worthy people, who during their long career in this neighborhood [sic] had made many friends and were universally respected. Mr. and Mrs. Eide are the parents of five children: Theodore, Emma, Jennie, Arnold and Lillie, all of whom are living at home with their parents. The family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America, of which Mr. Eide was treasurer for three years.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 459 - 460
Paul Eide, a well known and prosperous farmer of Hale Township, was born in Romsdal, Norway, Jan. 1, 1859, son of John and Ellen (Larson) Eide. His parents were both natives of Norway, the father born in 1843 and the mother in 1835. They came to America with their family in 1882, settling in Hale Township, this county, on 160 acres of land in section 5, where they lived 15 years. They then took a farm in section 4, where John Eide died in 1908; his wife died in the spring of 1910. Paul Eide, who accompanied his parents to the United States, settled on his present farm with his parents in 1884 and has since resided on it, having purchased the property in 1890. It contains 300 acres or more and is located in sections 4 and 5, township 23 north, range 8 west, Hale Township. The house, a two-story frame structure, was rebuilt in 1903. It contains 10 rooms and is a substantial and commodious dwelling. In 1911 Mr. Eide built a barn, 40 by 70 by 16 feet in dimensions above stone basement, with cement floor and steel stanchions. In the same year he put up a stave silo, 12 by 30 feet. His herd of graded Durham cattle numbers 35 head, of which he milks 20. For three years he has served as a member of the school board of his district. Mr. Eide was married in November, 1890, to Millie Amundson, who was born in section 8, Hale Township, this county, June 27, 1870, daughter of Amund and Thea (Halvorson) Amundson. Mr. and Mrs. Eide have been the parents of nine children: Thea, born April 9, 1891; John, Dec. 25, 1892; Arthur, Aug. 21, 1895; Elvina, Jan. 2, 1898; Palmer, Aug. 1, 1900; Magnus, Feb. 14, 1903 (died Feb. 23, 1903); Mabel, Nov. 23, 1904; Ruth, Aug. 26, 1907, and Millard, July 16, 1910. All the living children are residing at home. The family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America, of which Mr. Eide is a trustee.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 555
Iver Eimon, one of the most prominent farmers and stock raisers in Hale Township, and an extensive land owner elsewhere, was born in Land, Norway, June 5, 1854, son of Ole and Sierce (Thomle) Eimon. His parents, who were natives of the same part of Norway, came to the United States in 1862, locating at Blue Mounds, Dane County, Wis., where the father engaged in farming, and also at times worked in the lead mines. In 1868 they came to Trempealeau County, taking a homestead of 160 acres in section 12, Hale Township, it consisting entirely of wild land. Here Ole Eimon built a shanty and with four yoke of cattle, assisted by his son Iver, broke the land. In time, by hard work and perseverence, he developed a good farm, on which he resided until his death, Feb. 6, 1908. His wife passed away long before him, in March, 1882. They had in all, seven children, two of whom, Bertha and Christian, are deceased. The others are: Iver, the direct subject of this sketch; Beaty, who now lives in North Dakota; Christian, Peter and Benjamin. Iver Eimon accompanied his parents from Norway to Wisconsin, arriving with them in Trempealeau County in 1868. In the summer he assisted his father on the home farm and in winter worked in the woods at lumbering. In 1893 he became manager of the farm, which he later purchased. Energetic and enterprising, he has made many valuable improvements on the property, having now a fine barn, 120 by 52 feet, provided with running water and electric lights, two silos, each with a capacity of 100 tons, and other first-class buildings. He is successfully engaged in breeding Holstein-Freisian cattle, shipping a carload of beef cattle to market each spring. His farm is a large one, of 320 acres, in section 12. He also owns a farm of 320 acres in Becker County, Minn., which he rents. For many years Mr. Eimon has served as school clerk, and is now a supervisor of Hale Township. He has been twice nominated for the State Assembly. He has traveled extensively, both in the United States and Europe, having visited in this country nearly every State in the Union, in particular the Gulf States. For six years he owned a cotton farm at Fort Ben, Tex., and at one time owned 10 acres of land at Houston, that State. His travels also extended into old Mexico, while on a five-months' trip to Europe he visited Scotland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany, France, Switzerland and Italy. During these travels he saw many interesting sights and acquired a knowledge of the manners and customs of various races of people, and found the time well spent. His present prosperity is a result of intelligent effort, kept up perseveringly through a series of years, and his reward has been large. On July 5, 1886, Mr. Eimon assumed the responsibilities of domestic life, being united in marriage with Margaret Heyerdahl, a native of Pierce County, Wis. The following children have been born to him: Sigvald, born Dec. 3, 1888, who married Anna Golbertson; Max, born March 19, 1891; Sigrid, Feb. 7, 1894; Paul, March 3, 1900, and Margaret, Sept. 7, 1906. All except Sigvald are residing at home. The family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran church, and Mr. Eimon is a Prohibitionist in politics.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 649 - 650
Alexander J. Ekern is a successful agriculturist of Ettrick Township, his flourishing farm of 207 acres being located in sections 7 and 8, south. He was born in Gale Township, this county, July 19, 1863, son of Andrew and Oline (Amundson) Ekern. The parents were both natives of Biri, Norway, the date of the father's birth being May 19, 1834, and that of his wife, Aug. 8, 1838. Andrew Ekern came to this country unmarried in 1852, locating on Coon Prairie, Vernon County, Wis. After working for others for awhile he engaged in farming in that locality, from which he removed later to La Crosse County, where he and his brother Gilbert bought a farm, on which he lived for a few years. In La Crosse County he also married. In 1860 he came with his wife to Trempealeau County and filed on a homestead in Gale Township, which place was his home for the remainder of his life. He made important improvements on his property and did his full share in helping to develop the agricultural resources of the township. His death occurred Dec. 18, 1916. His wife died March 29, 1913. They had a family of nine children, Alexander J. being the first born.
Alexander J. Ekern was educated in the district school at Glasgow, Gale Township, and at the same time was taught farm work, assisting his father out of school hours, and all of the time after he laid aside his school books. At the age of 15 years he was practically self-supporting, and when a little older and stronger worked as a regular farm hand in the summer and at lumbering in the winter. This sort of life continued for about seven years, during which time he saved a part of his wages with a view to future independence. At the end of the period referred to he rented a farm in Gale Township for three years and then moved onto the farm which he now operates, purchasing the property at that time. Since then he has made many improvements in it, erecting new buildings, including barns and granaries, and has added considerably to the acreage of tilled land. His farming operations include dairying, and his prosperity has increased from year to year with the enlargement of his farm and herd. Mr. Ekern is also president of the Ettrick Creamery Company, and a stockholder and one of the incorporators of the Ettrick & Northern Railroad Company, the Western Wisconsin Telephone Company, and the Bank of Ettrick, also a director and president of the Scandinavian Insurance Company, having formerly held the office of vice-president. In politics he is a Republican. Although a busy man, he has devoted a part of his time to town and county affairs, having served as chairman of the township board two years, being at the same time a member of the county board, as supervisor ten years and as clerk of the district school board two years. He was a member of the building committee that erected the new Lutheran church at Hardie's Creek, and has served as trustee of the church, to which he and his family belong. Mr. Ekern was married Nov. 11, 1885, to Clara Larson, who was born in Lewis' Valley, La Crosse County, Wis., daughter of Lars and Goner (Mikkleson) Hansaasen, both natives of Ringsaker, Norway, where they were married. Mrs. Ekern's father was born April 27, 1837, and her mother in March, 1836. After their marriage in September, 1858, they continued to reside in their native land for several years, but about 1862 emigrated to America, locating on a farm in La Crosse County, Wis. From there they removed later to Ettrick Township, Trempealeau County, where Mrs. Ekern's father homesteaded the farm now owned by Mr. Ekern, on which he is still living, being practically retired from active labor. He and his wife are the parents of two children: Alfred L. and Gertrude O. Alfred L., who, after attending the local schools, took a course at the State Agricultural College at Madison, is now operating the home farm. he married Margaret Knutson, who was born at Beaver Creek, this county. Gertrude O., who is unmarried, resides at home.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 423 - 425
Peter Ekern, merchant, town proprietor, assemblyman, extensive land owner, public spirited citizen, and man of affairs, to whose efforts was due the building up of a flourishing village, was one of the most distinguished citizens of the county, and for many years had an influential voice in controlling its destinies. As a business man he platted Pigeon Falls, erected a store and creamery, rebuilt a large mill and developed extensive tracts of land. As a public citizen he did such splendid work as chairman of the township and member of the county board for many years, that in 1881 he was called upon to serve in the General Assembly, in which position he looked after the interests of his state and district with dignity and distinction. Peter Ekern was born in Norway, Jan. 25, 1837, the son of Henrik Ekern, and oldest of a family of four sons and two daughters, the others being: Even, a merchant of Whitehall; Randine, wife of Edward Klebo of Chicago; Anton, a farmer of Pigeon Township; Mark, a farmer in Moody County, South Dakota; and Maria , wife of Edward Schultz of Des Moines, Iowa. Peter was reared to a life of agricultural endeavor. At the age of eighteen he started operating a farm on his own responsibility, under a guardianship, the law at that time being that a youth could not engaged in business for himself under the age of 25, except with a guardianship. As the years passed the young man determined to seek for himself the broader opportunities and superior advantages of the New World. Accordingly he disposed of his holdings in 1867, and accompanied by his wife and children, came to America, and found his way to La Crosse, where two brothers and a sister had preceded him. From there he went to Vernon County, and there remained for several months. In March, 1868, he settled in Trempealeau County, in the affairs of which he was later to take so prominent a part. For a time he lived in section 36, township 23, range 7, in the northern part of Pigeon. With keen judgment he foresaw the favorable opportunity of establishing a village at Pigeon Falls, and when, in 1872, his plans were ripe, he moved to the hamlet with which his name was thereafter to be inseparably connected. At the time of his arrival the village contained the mill of Cyrus H. Hine and the store of Johnson & Olson, as well as several residences. Mr. Hine owned about 160 acres, a part of which he had purchased from George Gale in 1867, and a part of which he had obtained from the government under the homestead act. His residence is still standing, but has been moved to another site. His barn is on its original location, and has been used in connection with the village hotel. His mill has been replaced by the Pigeon Falls flour and feed mill on the same site. Upon his arrival here Mr. Ekern purchased the store of Johnson & Olson. In 1882 he erected another store building, and converted his original store building into a residence which he long occupied, and which was used as the village hotel until 1916. In the meantime, in 1875 and 1880, Mr. Ekern had bought Mr. Hine's land and holdings, as well as a tract from George Gale, so that he owned 280 acres, all in section 34. The store, which he erected in 1882, 60 by 108 feet, two stories and full basement, is still used by his successors and is still in excellent condition. In 1885 he erected a creamery. This he operated until 1892, when he sold it to a farmers' association. The new venture, however, was not successful, so Mr. Ekern took possession, rebuilt the plant, and put in new equipment. Now known as the Pigeon Falls Creamery, the institution is still operated by his successors. In 1894, Mr. Ekern platted the townsite on the southeast quarter of section 34. In 1880 he built a new flour and feed mill on the site of the original Hine mill. This building was shortly afterward destroyed by fire. He then erected the present mill. Since that date the equipment has kept march with the progress of time, the old stone burrs being replaced with a modern roller system, and new machinery and appliances being added as circumstances required. In 1898 the business was incorporated under the name of P. Ekern Company, for the purpose of operating the farms, the general store, the creamery, the flour and feed mill, the townsite property and other real estate. After a long and useful life, Mr. Ekern died in 1899. His widow died in 1911. The owners of the property are now: Dr. Andrew Ekern, who is president of the corporation, and Mr. and Mrs. Ben. M. Sletteland, the former of whom is secretary, treasurer and manager, and the latter of whom is vice-president. Mr. Ekern was married in 1858 to olive Hovde. This union was blessed with seven children: Ludwig P., Andrew, Minnie, Hannah, Josephine, Emma, Hulda and Hulda. Ludwig P. is a retired merchant of Superior, Wis. Andrew is a retired physician of San Diego, Cal. Minnie is the wife of B. M. Sletteland. Josephine is the wife of Peter Eimon, a wholesale grocer of Superior, Wis. Emma, the wife of H. A. Otto, a Chicago lumberman, died in 1914. Hulda is the wife of Ben. Eimon, who is also in the wholesale grocery business in Superior. Hannah died at the age of 14 years. Hulda (first) also died in childhood.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 686 - 687
Charles H. Elkinton, M. D., physician and surgeon of Eleva, is a native of this state, born in Dodge County, Wisconsin, April 8, 1862, son of Mark and Nancy (Bush) Elkinton. Mark Elkinton was born in Lincolnshire, England, July 18, 1816, and after his marriage, Sept. 27, 1851, came to America and located in Rochester, N. Y., for two years, locating later at Schleisingerville, Wis., before coming to Lomira Township, Dodge County, this state, where he farmed until his death, Nov. 6, 1899, his wife, who was born Nov. 16, 1826, having died Nov. 24, 1881. They were the parents of nine children, seven of whom are now living as follows: Mark at Winneconne, Wis.; Thomas at Jennings, La.; Evelyn at Glascow, Mont.; Frank and William at Eleva, Wis., and Lucinda at Brownville, Wisconsin. Charles H. Elkinton was reared on the home farm, attended the district schools and started teaching in 1880 at the age of 18 years. By working as a teacher for eight years he secured the funds necessary for further pursuing his studies, and in 1886 he graduated from the Oshkosh Normal School. Thus prepared, he entered the Rush Medical College in 1891, and received his diploma from that institution in 1894. After practicing a few months in Neillsville, Wis., he came to Eleva in the spring of 1895 and has since been in active practice here. His standing in his profession is shown by his membership in the American Medical Association, the State Medical Society, and the Eau Claire County Medical Society. He is health officer of Albion Township in Trempealeau County, and Clear Creek Township in Eau Claire County, and has done considerable work in sanitation in addition to his regular practice. For ten years he has been clerk of the Eleva School Board. His fraternal relations are with the Masonic order. Dr. Elkinton is widely known as a fancier of fine stock. He has a large farm in Clear Creek Township and makes a specialty of raising Guernsey cattle, Hampshire sheep and Berkshire swine. On Feb. 24, 1897, Dr. Elkinton was married to Alice Brown, of Neillsville, daughter of David and Anna (Graham) Brown. Mrs. Elkinton graduated from the Neillsville High School after which she attended Oshkosh Normal School and was a successful teacher for three years. T. Dr. and Mrs. Elkinton have been born four children: Carlos, born Jan. 24, 1898; Doras, born Aug. 14, 1900; Graham, born April 6, 1904, and Charles, born Aug. 13, 1909. Carlos is in the United States service, having enlisted June 18, 1917, in Company E, Third Wisconsin Infantry.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 701 - 702
John Elland. Among the successful farmers of Preston Township is the subject of this sketch, who as proprietor of Sunnyslope Farm is contributing to the agricultural development of the township while enjoying yearly an increased prosperity. He was born in Gulbransdalen, Fron, Norway, Sept. 27, 1845. His father was Elland Everson, a native of Norway, who came with his wife and family to the United States in 1857, settling first in Vernon County, Wis., where he remained four years. At the end of that time he came to Trempealeau County, and after living two years in Trempealeau Coolie, bought the farm on which his son John now resides, and on which he began agricultural operations. A few years later he was unfortunate enough to lose his life by one of those accidents incident to pioneer life, dying in the woods in 1866 while engaged in cutting timber. His wife, whose maiden name was Marit Alme, survived him nearly half a century, dying in 1913 at the age of 91 years. They had six children: John, the subject of this sketch; Thomas, who resides at Black River Falls, and has been engaged in railroad work for the last 20 years; Martha, who married Ole Benrud, of Blair, Wis., and died in 1904; Even, a farmer in Preston Township; Karen, who met an accidental death from burning at the age of 8 years, and Martinus, who died on the voyage to America. Of this family the eldest was John, upon whom, therefore, the chief responsibility fell at the time of his father's death. He was at this time about 21 years old and able to assume charge of the farm, which he managed for his mother until his marriage in June, 1872, to Paulina Paulson, of Chimney Rock Township, a daughter of Paul Berger. He then purchased the farm and has ever since been its proprietor. Sunnyslope Farm is a good piece of agricultural property, containing 246 acres and lying in sections 22 and 23, Preston Township. The first residence of the family on this land was a log house 10 by 12 feet, which is still standing, having been replaced as a dwelling, however, by a good 10-room frame house of two stories and basement, erected by Mr. Elland in 1895. Among other improvements he has made are a frame barn, 42 by 84 by 18 feet, with basement, and a concrete block silo, 14 by 35 feet. Both house and barn are provided with running water and various modern improvements suitable to each. He and his wife are the parents of seven children: Edward, who is conducting a butcher's shop in Blair; Milan, engaged in farming near Blair; Peter, residing in Blair; Minnie, at home; Nettie, who died July 18, 1917; Hannah, who married Edward Odegaard, of Minneapolis, and Clarence, living on the home farm. The family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran church. Aside from his original farm, he had 18 acres of slough land which he could not use for years, but now he has it all tiled, and on this land has one of the heaviest crops on the farm.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 437 - 438
Edward Christian Elliason, who is conducting a farm of 300 acres in section 25, Gale Township, was born in Layton, Norway, Jan. 31, 1865, son of Peter and Martha (Christenson) Elliason. His parents also natives of Norway, came to America in 1869, locating in Lewis Valley, La Crosse County, where Peter Elliason, who was a tanner by trade, engaged in farming, residing there until his death, April 7, 1915. His wife died in June, 1896. Edward C. Elliason, subject of this sketch, was the eldest of five children. He attended school in Farmington Township, La Crosse County, and also had the advantage of some home instruction. Residing at home practically all of the time until his marriage at the age of 22 years, he then worked on a farm for one year, and afterward went to La Crosse, where for three years he was employed at the Wheland Cedar Works. Subsequently he went on a farm near Holman, where he resided five years, at the end of which time he came to the vicinity of Glasgow, Trempealeau County, and in 1908 purchased his present farm of 300 acres, on which he is carrying on general farming. He is also a stockholder in a threshing and shredding outfit, in the Farmer's Exchange at Galesville, the La Crosse Packing Company and the Independent Harvester Company, of Plano, Ill. On Nov. 23, 1887, Mr. Elliason was united in marriage to Katherine Wilson, who was born in La Crosse Valley, La Crosse county, daughter of James and Jeanette (Barkley) Wilson, her parents being natives of Scotland. James Wilson was born Nov. 22, 1817, and his wife in 1832. They were married in their native land and came to La Crosse County, Wis., at an early date, Mr. Wilson taking a homestead, on which he was engaged in farming until his death in 1878; his wife died in 1882. Their family numbered nine children, of whom their daughter Katherine was the second in order of birth. Mr. and Mrs. Elliason are the parents of three children: Wilson Peter, born June 12, 1889; Malcolm Howard, born Dec. 28, 1893, and Edward Kilmor, born Aug. 16, 1896. Mr. Elliason is a member of the American Society of Equity, and, with his family, belongs to the Lutheran church. In politics he is independent, but usually votes the Republican ticket.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 420 - 421
Alfred Edward Emerson, a well-known agriculturist of Gale Township, was born at North Bend, Jackson County, Wis., July 8, 1880, son of Henry and Mary (Gilbertson) Emerson. His parents were natives of Norway, but were married in Wisconsin. Henry Emerson was 12 years old when he accompanied his parents to the United States. They settled in Wisconsin, in which State he grew to manhood. In time he purchased land at North Bend and engaged in farming, which was his occupation for many years. He died on his farm in April, 1911. His wife died May 2, 1917. They had six children, of whom Alfred E. was next to the youngest.
Alfred E. Emerson resided with his parents until he was 26 years old, at which time, a year or two previous to his marriage, he bought his present farm and engaged in agriculture on his own account. He has 220 acres of improved land, with good modern buildings and equipment, practically all of the improvements having been made by himself. He carries on general farming very successfully and is now one of the prosperous and substantial citizens of his township. Besides this, he is a stockholder in the La Crosse Packing Company. Mr. Emerson was first married in 1908 to Katie Stellpflug, who was born in Gale Township, a daughter of John and Sarah (Shonat) Stellpflug. She died Nov. 5, 1909, leaving one child, Bernard, who is now attending school.
In March, 1911, Mr. Emerson married for his second wife Abbie Stellpflug, a sister of his first wife. By her he has had two children, Valeria Frances and Flavian John, both of whom are living. Mr. Emerson is a member of the Order of Beavers and of the Foresters, and is a Catholic in religion.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 422
Bernt I. Enghagen, who is engaged in farming the old Enghagen home in section 27 (west), Ettrick Township, was born on this farm June 27, 1878, son of Iver P. and Ingeborg (Jacobson) Enghagen. In his boyhood he attended school both in Ettrick township and Ettrick Village. From his early youth until reaching the age of 35 years he was associated with his father in the operation of the home farm, and has always resided on it. On his father's death he purchased the property and now has 160 acres of land, which he devotes to general farming. The estate is well improved and shows the results of the care that has been lavished on it for so many years. Mr. Enghagen is also a stockholder in the Western Wisconsin Telephone Company, the Ettrick & Northern Railroad and the Hammer-Enghagen Company, Inc. (general merchants), at Galesville, of which his brother, Peter J., is a member. In politics he is a Republican, but not active in public affairs. His religious affiliations are with the Lutheran church at French Creek.
Mr. Enghagen was married Oct. 25, 1913, to Miss Julia Engen, who was born in Arcadia Township, daughter of Ole and Helena (Haakensen) Engen, both natives of Norway, the father born in Ringsaker, Oct. 31, 1841. Ole Engen emigrated to the United States when a young man, in 1868. He worked in La Crosse County, Wis., one summer, and then came to Ettrick Township, Trempealeau County, teaching parochial school for several years, and also being engaged in farming. He was married in this county, June 9, 1871, to Helena Haakensen, who was born in Norway, Jan. 2, 1840, and died Oct. 31, 1911. After being occupied as above mentioned for several years, he moved to Big Tamarac, where he and his family made their home for ten years, and then returned to the farm which is now the home of Nicholas Enghagen, and where he resided from 1883 to 1914. In the latter year he took up his residence with the subject of this sketch, on whose farm he is now living retired. He taught Norwegian school here and was an active officer in the Lutheran church, being secretary of the congregation for 27 years. He and his wife had four children, of whom the only one now surviving is Julia (Mrs. B. I. Enghagen). She acquired her early education in the district school in Ettrick Township and subsequently attended the Ladies' Lutheran Seminary at Red Wing, Min., being graduated with the class of 1900. Later she taught parochial school for four years near Westby, Vernon County, Wis., and two terms of school in Beaver Creek Valley, Ettrick Township. Mr. and Mrs. Enghagen have one child, Helena Ingeborg, who was born July 2, 1915.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 428
Iver P. Enghagen, who was for many years, until his death, Dec. 17, 1914, one of the leading citizens of Ettrick Township, where he was an early settler, was born in Lillehamer, Province of Faaberg, Norway, and came to the United States in 1860 when a young man, unable to speak English. He resided for about two years in La Crosse County, Wis., but subsequently moved to Trempealeau County, where he was married to Ingeborg Jacobson, who was born in Hadeland, Norway. Buying a farm on French Creek, in Ettrick Township, he engaged in agriculture and continued to improve his property for the rest of his life, which came to an end Dec. 17, 1914. He was also interested in other business enterprises. He assisted in organizing the Scandinavian Insurance Company, of which he was cashier until his death; was financially interested in the Ettrick Creamery Company, the Bank of Ettrick, the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Galesville, and the Western Wisconsin Telephone Company, of which he was a director for a number of years. Mr. Enghagen was also assessor of Ettrick Township for seven or eight years and served on the township board for a number of years. Though he had never gone to school a day in his life, he was a natural mathematician and could figure as rapidly and accurately as any college student. As cashier of the Scandinavian Insurance Company he handled for many years all the money of the company - a large amount annually - and was always correct in his accounts. He also helped to organize the Lutheran church, becoming its treasurer, and at a later period was presented with a fine gold watch as a reward for his faithful services. His wife, who survives him, still resides on the old homestead, now owned by their son, Bernt I. Enghagen. Their family numbered six children, as follows: Peter Julius, now a merchant in Galesville; Amelia, now Mrs. Martin Madson; Nicholas, a farmer in Ettrick Township; Minnie, who is deceased; Bernt I., proprietor of the old home farm, and Josephine, who is now Mrs. Gilbert Hogden.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 427
Nicholas Enghagen, a farmer in section 34 W., Ettrick Township, was born in French Valley, Ettrick Township, Dec. 2, 1869, son of Iver P. and Ingeborg (Jacobson) Enghagen. In his boyhood he attended the school at French Creek. He resided on his parents' farm until he was 39 years old, assisting in its cultivation. Then purchasing a farm on the South Branch of Beaver Creek, he operated it until about two years ago, when he sold it and bought his present farm of 83 acres, at the mouth of French Creek. Here he carries on general farming and is also a stockholder in the Ettrick Creamery. Sept. 30, 1909, Mr. Enghagen was united in marriage with Lena Larson, who was born on the South Branch of Beaver Creek, in Ettrick Township. Her parents, Lars and Goner (Mikkleson) Hansaasen, were born in Norway and came to the United States in 1862, locating first in Lewis Valley, La Crosse County, where they spent three years. They then came to Trempealeau County, the father taking a farm on Beaver Creek, where he is still living, having spent half a century in its cultivation and improvement. Their daughter Lena was the youngest of the six children they reared and was educated in the district school of Ettrick Township. Mr. and Mrs. Enghagen have one child, Ingred Genevieve, who was born June 19, 1910. The family are members of the Lutheran church, and in politics Mr. Enghagen is a Republican. Though his farm is not one of the largest in the township, it is well equipped with everything necessary in the way of buildings and machinery and he is doing a profitable business.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 429
Peter J. Enghagen, president of the Hammer-Enghagen Co., Inc., general merchants, of Galesville, was born in Ettrick township, Trempealeau County, June 16, 1867, son of Iver and Ingaborg (Jacobsen) Enghagen. He attended the common school at French Creek and was subsequently a student for two years at Gale University. Residing at home until he was 21 years old, he then entered the employ of Jordan & Hammer as clerk in their general store. After two years in their employ, he worked four years for Gilbertson & Myhre. He then purchased the interest of Mr. Jordan in the Jordan & Hammer concern and the business was conducted under the name of Hammer & Enghagen Mercantile Company, until Feb. 15, 1917, when they incorporated and Mr. Enghagen became president. He devotes all his active hours to the store and is also stockholder in the Bank of Galesville. As a public spirited citizen, interested and willing to aid in local progress, he has served a number of times as a member of the city council. In politics he is independent.
Mr. Enghagen was married May 22, 1895, to Lena Johnson, who was born at Half-way Creek, near Holman, in the township of Holland, La Crosse County, Wis., daughter of Louis and Marie (Brudlas) Johnson. Both her parents were born in Norway, the father in Laud and the mother in Vordal. Her father, who came to the United States during the Civil War, enlisted and served in the Union army. At the close of the war he engaged in farming, residing in La Crosse County, Wis., until the fall of 1915, when he retired and took up his residence in Galesville. Mr. and Mrs. Enghagen have two children: Inez Minerva, who is a student at St. Olof College, Northfield, Minn., and Marie Lucile, who is attending the public schools of Galesville. The family are members of the Lutheran church. As a business man Mr. Enghagen has been successful, and as a man and citizen he is held in high esteem by his neighbors.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 298 - 299
Edward S. Englesby, assistant postmaster at Eleva, is a native of this State, born in Modena, Buffalo County, March 7, 1862, son of Harrison and Roxanna (Hammond) Englesby. Harrison W. Englesby was born in Vermont, and settled in Buffalo County, this State, in 1860. In 1868 he opened a hotel at Coral City, not far from what is now Whitehall, in Trempealeau County. Subsequently he farmed in Preston Township, this county, for a while. Then he lived successively in Black River Falls, Eau Claire and Mondovi. In 1876 he settled in Albion Township, and there remained until his death. Edward S. Englesby followed the fortunes of his family and spent his young manhood on the Albion Township farm. For a time he was employed as a lumberman, on the rivers and in the pine forests. In 1892 he engaged in lumbering at Hayward, Wis., and three years later he came to Eleva and entered the postoffice. From 1903 to 1915 he was a rural mail carrier, and since that date has occupied his present position, his wife being the postmistress. In addition to his services for the Government, Mr. Englesby has for some years operated a farm of 80 acres in Albion Township. For three years he did good work on the village board. His fraternal affiliations are with the Masons, the Woodmen and the Beavers. Mr. Englesby was married Oct. 9, 1892, to Ida Gibson, daughter of Milo B. and Mary (Harvey) Gibson, of Eleva, and they have one child, Marguerite, born May 3, 1910.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 640
Daniel English, for many years a well-known citizen of Trempealeau County, was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, May 19, 1819, and there spent his youth. As a young man he married Margaret Hawley. They came to America in 1850, and to secure funds for their trip to the Mississippi Valley worked in Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island. Reaching Wisconsin they worked for a while in Milwaukee and La Crosse. In 1864 they came to Trempealeau County and settled on a farm in the southern part of Arcadia Township. Through thrift, economy and hard labor he soon developed a fine farm, and became one of the substantial men of the community. In 1889 he moved his family to Arcadia Village, and there resided until his death, in 1898. He had been a true husband, a kind father, and loyal friend and a good citizen, and his loss was sincerely mourned. Daniel English and Margaret Hawley were married April 5, 1848. Mrs. Hawley was born May 28, 1824, and proved an able helpmate of her husband through all the changing fortunes of life. Mr. and Mrs. English were the parents of seven children: Michael, John, May, Ellen, Edward G., Daniel and William T. Michael and John live in Arcadia. May and Edward G. live in Mt. Vernon, Wash. Daniel lives in British Columbia. Ellen, who became Mrs. Egan, and Dr. W. T., formerly of Winona are dead.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 672
Michael English, insurance and real estate man of Arcadia, was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, April 3, 1850, son of Daniel and Margaret (Hawley) English, who brought him to this country that same year. He spent his early boyhood in various places in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and Wisconsin, and was brought to Arcadia Township, this county, as a boy of fourteen. He was reared to farm pursuits, taught school four years, was undersheriff six years, and has been in his present line of endeavor since 1874. For two years he was town treasurer. Mr. English was married Jan. 25, 1876, to Anna Glennon, who was born Nov. 13, 1857, daughter of Redmond and Margaret Glennon. This union has been blessed with five children: Edward G., Ralph, Margaret, Redmond F. and Mark. Edward G. graduated from the Arcadia high school, and from the medical college of the University of Wisconsin, and is now a physician in Pachuca, Mexico, in which country he has lived for the past nine years. Margaret is the wife of George H. Barry, implement dealer of Arcadia. Redmond F. graduated from the Arcadia high school and the University of Washington and is now in partnership with his father. Mark has also studied engineering in the University of Washington.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 671 - 672
Edward Erickson, the popular and efficient sheriff of Trempealeau County, is one of its leading citizens. Coming into office at a time when the war clouds were brewing, and serving at the time of the opening of the actual hostilities, he has given his time, ability and energy in patriotic service to his country at a great personal sacrifice,a nd his name will live in history as the "war sheriff" of the county. In addition to the many added duties which the raising of the National Army and the conservation of food have placed upon his official work, he has done conscientious work as chairman of the exemption board, his wide and intimate knowledge of people of the county being of great assistance to the board in its various decisions. Mr. Erickson was born in Newcomb Valley, this county, Oct. 19, 1873, son of John and Bertha Erickson. He was reared on the home farm, attended the district schools, and determined to devote his life to an agricultural career. Accordingly in 1901 he purchased 120 acres of partly improved land, adjoining his father's farm on the west, and in time made it into the well-developed place that it is today. In 1906 he erected a substantial, square, two story brick house of eight rooms, a good modern farm house in every respect. He later put up a frame barn with a full basement, 28 by 58 by 15 feet above the foundation, a milk house, a milk and tank house, tool sheds, poultry house and cribs. He also put in a running water system for house and barns. The place, which is temporarily rented during his term of office, supports a good grade of Holsteins, a number of horses and a herd of swine, all the work of the farm being conducted along the latests improved methods, with modern equipment, tools and machinery. Aside from his farming interests, Mr. Erickson has taken an interest in community growth and has become a stockholder and earnest supporter of the Bank of Arcadia, the Arcadia Co-operative Creamery, the Arcadia Shipping Association, and the Tamarack Valley Telephone Company. Of fraternal and sociable disposition he has been a member of the Modern Woodmen for twenty years, and for a number of years a member of the Masonic order. Interested in the best education of his children, he had done efficient work for some years as school director of School District 14. His present office dates from Jan. 1, 1917. Sheriff Erickson makes an ideal officer. Thorough and painstaking in his work, he deeply feels his responsibility as the preserver of the peace and dignity of the law, and in this direction he has been most untiring. Stern and unbending as an officer, nevertheless as a man his broad outlook on life and his understanding of human frailties, makes him ever favorable toward giving minor offenders every opportunity possible to repair their mistakes and to make the most of their future careers. As a man the sheriff is genial and popular, a pleasant companion and a loyal friend. Mr. Erickson was married Oct. 25, 1905, to Julia Arnson, who was born May 16, 1875, daughter of John and Olena Arnson of Preston Township. She died March 3, 1911, leaving three bright boys: Orlen, born May 30, 1907; Erwin, born Nov. 3, 1908; and Basil, born April 20, 1910. Feb. 7, 1913, Mr. Erickson married Minnie Mustad, daughter of Hans and Ingeborg Mustad of Ettrick Township. To this marriage has been born a daughter, Florence, April 30, 1915. Mr. Erickson was reared to the Lutheran faith, and with his family belongs to the Fagerness congregation, which his father helped to establish.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 693 - 694
Hans C. Erickson, a well-known and successful farmer of Ettrick Township, is a good example attained by those foreign-born citizens of Trempealeau County who came to this region endowed with the necessary qualities of industry and perseverance. He was born in Stange, Hedemarken, Norway, May 9, 1863, a son of Christopher and Bertha Erickson. His parents were natives of the same district in Norway, where the father worked for a number of years for wages, but seeking greater opportunities for success, in 1869 he emigrated with his family to the United States, locating in La Crosse, Wis., where he resided until 1877, working in a sawmill during the summers and in the pineries in winter. In the year last mentioned he came to Trempealeau County and bought the farm now owned by his son, Hans C. Here he remained for about 18 years engaged in its improvement, in which task he made considerable progress. In 1895 he bought another farm, located on Beaver Creek, to which he removed in the following year, and which was his home until his death, Dec. 10, 1916. He had before that become an extensive land owner and was recognized as one of the successful men of his township. In his selection of stock he favored Shorthorn cattle, always kept good horses, and his farm presented an air of thrift and prosperity that made a favorable impression upon every passer-by. He was an upholder of religion, morality and good government, and every Sunday, unless he was prevented by sickness or other strong reasons, found him in his place, with his family, in the French Creek Lutheran church. For many years before his death he was a widower, his wife Bertha having died in 1871. They were the parents of seven children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the second in order of birth.
Hans C. Erickson's education was begun in the Fifth Ward School at La Crosse, and he continued his studies later in District School No. 1, at French Creek. When 12 years old he began working in a sawmill at North La Crosse and was thus occupied for two summers. His connection with the lumber business was continued for many years after he came to Trempealeau County, as he spent 17 winters in the north woods cutting timber. At the end of that period, or about 1894, he bought his father's farm and has since given his whole time to agriculture and stock raising. The farm is known as Crystal Springs Stock Farm, and is now a highly-improved piece of property, the most valuable improvements having been made by himself. It takes its name from one of the finest springs in the State, which is located on it, and contains 217 acres of good, fertile land. Mr. Erickson is a stockholder in the Ettrick Creamery and the Ettrick Farmers' Telephone Co., and, like his father, is affiliated with the Lutheran church.
In June, 1900, Mr. Erickson was united in marriage with Dorthea Folkedal, who was born in Hardanger, Norway, daughter of Amund and Anna (Meckletuen) Folkedal, the parents being natives of the same district. The father, Amund Folkedal, who was for 18 years a surgeon in the Norwegian army, in 1885 came to the United States, his family joining him two years later and settling in Osseo, this county. After another two years' interval they removed to Ettrick, wher [sic] both the father and mother died, the former March 12, 1913, and the latter April 30, 1915. Their daughter Dorthea (Mrs. Erickson) was the second born of eight children. Mr. and Mrs. Hans C. Erickson are the parents of seven children, who were born as follows: Christopher, June 10, 1901; Eddie Francis, Feb. 2, 1903; Anna Birdella, Feb. 17, 1905; Haakon Goodwin, Oct. 27, 1908; Albert Einar, April 15, 1910; Gulena Elizabeth, April 29, 1912, and Donald Ludvik Bernard, Dec. 26, 1916.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 319 - 320
John Erickson, proprietor of a profitable 200-acre farm located partly in Gale and partly in Ettrick Township, his residence being in section 2, Gale Township, was born at Dramen, Norway, Jan. 9, 1873, son of John and Catherine (Amundson) Erickson, both natives of that locality. Mr. Erickson's parents never came to the United States. The father worked in the woods at lumbering until his death, which occurred when the subject of this sketch was only four months old. The mother is still living in Norway. John Erickson was the only child of his parents and when young was adopted by a family named Berg, whom he accompanied to America when about seven years old. He began working for others at the age of ten, his residence being then in La Crosse, where the Bergs had settled. His usual occupations at this time were herding cows, carrying wood and other easy work, but at the age of 12 he began working for farmers in Lewis Valley, and as he got older and stronger the work became more strenuous, including timber cutting in the north woods and lumber rafting on the river. June 6, 1900, he was married to Rose Dick, who was born at Decorah Prairie, Trempealeau County, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Brant) Dick, her father now residing on a farm near Galesville. For one year after his marriage Mr. Erickson lived with his wife's father in Silver Creek Valley, and at the end of that time took a farm situated not far from his present residence. He was then on the Hewitt farm for five years, after which he purchased his present farm of 200 acres, where he is carrying on general farming and dairying, with profitable results. he is also a stockholder int he Ettrick Creamery Company, the Farmers' Exchange at Galesville and the La Crosse Packing Company, and is counted as one of the substantial and well-to-do citizens of his township. He and his wife are the parents of six children: Alice Elizabeth, Ellen Catherine, Winnie, John Glenn, Ralph William and Donald Victor. At the present time Mr. Erickson is serving in his sixth year as school clerk. In politics he is an independent Republican, while his fraternal affiliations are with the Beavers and Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Erickson's career is a good example of the value of self-help. Practically self-supporting from an early age, he has worked his way up by courage and resolution, coupled with plenty of hard work, to an honorable position in the community, and is able to give his children much better advantages than he himself received. As he is now in the prime of life he may be expected to enjoy the fruits of his labors for many years to come.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 456 - 457
John Erickson, one of the pioneers of Trempealeau County, was born in Norway, Aug. 24, 1834, and was there reared to manhood. He was married March 25, 1858, to Ellina Hanson, who was born March 19, 1830. Even at the time of their marriage the young people were already contemplating seeking the broader opportunities of the new world. With this end in view they hoarded their frugal income until 1862, when they had sufficient funds to make the great venture. With their two children, Erick, born Sept. 3, 1859, and Hans, born Sept. 8, 1861, they set sail on April 27, 1862, aboard a slow sailing vessel, bound for their new home. Landing at Quebec, July 12, 1862, strangers in a strange land, where language and customs were unknown to them, they started out by rail for Winona, which they reached July 30, 1862. That city was then a flourishing lumber town, ten years old, but just at the dawn of the era which was to make it for some years one of the principal lumber and grain points on the Mississippi. At Winona Mr. Erickson got in touch with several of his countrymen who had settled in Trempealeau County and secured employment in Cedar Valley. While living in that vicinity, Mr. and Mrs. Erickson had another child, Marte, born Dec. 27, 1863. In 1864 the family moved to French Creek, and there the wife died in 1865. In 1867 Mr. Erickson married Bertha Gilbertson, who was born in Norway and came to America in 1863. Soon afterward the family moved to Newcomb Valley, and there Mr. Erickson pre-empted 242 acres of wild land in section 6. Here he experienced real pioneer life. One of his first acts was to build a small log cabin, after which he started the difficult task of developing a farm. The principal trading center was at Trempealeau, twenty miles away. The trip there with an ox team was wary and sometimes dangerous. At some seasons even the oxen could not get through, and Mr. Erickson made the trip afoot, bringing back flour and other provisions on his back. Conveniences were almost entirely lacking, comforts were almost unknown. But the sturdy couple had faith, health and ambition, they desired to see their growing family well placed in the world, and they were willing to toil and sacrifice that success might be assured. Beginning with nothing in the way of worldly goods, they developed a fine farm, erecting commodious buildings, including a frame house, barn and granary, and gradually securing a good equipment of tools and machinery. Mr. Erickson conducted the farm until 1901, when failing health caused his retirement. He died May 30, 1903. In his many years of life here he had attained a recognized position in the community as a prosperous and conscientious farmer, and was highly esteemed as a good family man, a successful citizen, and an accommodating neighbor. A man of strong religious convictions he assisted in organizing the Fagerness Norwegian Lutheran Congregation, and remained an active member the remainder of his life. Of the five children born on the Newcomb Valley farm two died in infancy; Edward, born Oct. 19, 1873, has been a prosperous farmer and is now sheriff of Trempealeau County; Gilbert, born April 7, 1868, is living on the family homestead, and Anna, born Dec. 26, 1870, is the wife of Olaf Hurberg of Arcadia Township.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 692 - 693
Ole Erickson, proprietor of the Rumpel farm of 223 acres, in section 36, township 23 north, range 8 west, Hale Township, was born in Soler, Norway, Oct. 20, 1859. His father, Eric Olson, died in Norway, as did also his mother, whose maiden name was Oleana Thorsonsdatter. In 1884, when in his 25th year, Ole Erickson left his native land for the United States, and on landing in this country proceeded west to Wisconsin, where so many of his countrymen had already settled and were aiding in the development of the great Northwest. Locating in Blair, Trempealeau County, he worked out for others for three years, in the meanwhile saving his money and looking forward to the day when he would be able to start in for himself. As soon as a good opportunity occurred of which he could take advantage he bought a farm in Lincoln Township and was engaged in agricultural operations there until March, 1896. He then sold that farm and purchased the one he now owns, which is a desirable piece of agricultural property and where he is carrying on general farming and stock raising on a profitable basis. In 1910 he built his present residence, a two-story and basement, brick veneer structure of ten rooms, with furnace heat, running water and gasoline lights. He had erected a barn in 1901, which, however, was blown down in 1914 during a violent storm. In the following year the present barn on its site, a structure 36 by 48 by 12 feet in dimensions above concrete basement with cement floors. He has also a good stave silo, 12 by 42 feet in size. Mr. Erickson keeps 25 head of graded Holstein cattle, of which he milks 20; also 50 head of hogs and a large flock of Plymouth Rock chickens. He served as township treasurer two years and has been a director of the school board 15 years. Aside from his immediate farming interests, he is a stockholder in the Pigeon Grain & Stock Company and in the Whitehall Hospital. Oct. 5, 1887, he was married to Annie M. Engen of Whitehall, Wis., who was born in Norway, Sept. 29, 1863, daughter of Martin and Marthia (Anderson) Engen. Her father now lives on the farm with his daughter and son-in-law, and is a widower, his wife having died in 1893 at the age of 53 years. Mr. and Mrs. Erickson have had ten children born to them, of whom two are deceased. The record of the family, given in brief, is as follows: Emma, born Feb. 21, 1889, died Aug. 5, 1890; Hilman, born Jan. 25, 1890, who owns a farm in Pigeon Township; Emma, born March 18, 1891, also at home; Amanda, born Sept. 6, 1894, who is the wife of Ralph Cook, a farmer of Charles City, Iowa, and the mother of one child, Evelyn; Olga, born March 30, 1897, and Ida, born June 18, 1898, both living at home; Carl, also born June 18, 1898, a twin brother of Ida, who died Sept. 1, 1898; Ole M., born Feb. 19, 1902; Carl, born June 16, 1904, and Marvin Ole, born March 20, 1910, all three of whom, being children, live at home with their parents. Religiously the family are affiliated with the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 461
Andrew Evenson came to Trempealeau County in 1888, located in section 4, Gale Township, and here lived until his death, May 9, 1915. He was born near Christiania, Norway, Aug. 25, 1857, oldest of the four children of Ole and Mary Evenson. The parents came to America about 1857 and located in La Crosse County, this state. After the father's death, the mother moved to another farm in the same county, located on the south side of the La Crosse River, and there lived until she took up her home with her son, Andrew, until the time of her death. Andrew Evenson attended the schools of his native land and of La Crosse County, and as a youth assisted his mother with the duties of her small farm, remaining under the maternal roof until about a year after his marriage, when he located in Trempealeau County. Here he devoted his life to his farm, his home, his children and his church, taking in his family his deepest joy, and in his church his greatest satisfaction. As a successful farmer he acquired stock in the Arctic Springs Creamery, and was a substantial friend thereof, but aside from this, his outside interests were few. His church support was given to the Synod Lutheran Congregation, in the activities of which he was an efficient and valued worker. Mr. Evenson was married Dec. 3, 1887, to Bertha Johnson, who was born in La Crosse County, Holland Township, daughter of Louis and Mary Johnson, and this union was blessed with eight children: Melva, Ornie Melvin, Elmer Theodore, Lester, Lester Marvin, Edna Marie, Ansel Bernard and Arline Bernice. Melva is the wife of Herbert Hardie, who farms two miles west of Galesville. Ornie Melvin operates the home farm of 200 acres bordering on the Black River. He married Minnie Engen, May 24, 1917. Elmer Theodore married Ella Scarseth, and lives on the Scarseth farm in Gale Township. Lester died in infancy. The other children are at home.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 474 - 475
August Evenson was for many years one of the successful and substantial men of the community. He developed a good farm, he reared a large and respected family, and upon his death left a record of hard work, staunch character and sterling worth. His wife, a most estimable woman, who was his helpmeet and inspiration in all his undertakings, still owns the family farm, but in 1915 moved to Pigeon Falls, where she erected a comfortable home, and where she now makes her residence. August Evenson was born in Vardal, Norway, Feb. 1, 1857, son of Mathias and Pernella Evenson, who brought him to America in 1858, and located near Holmen, in La Crosse County, this state, where they spent the remainder of their lives. Reared on the home farm and educated in the schools of that county, August Evenson started out for himself in 1881, and two years later, in 1883, came to Pigeon Township and secured land in section 11, which he proceeded to break and develop, erecting a suitable home and commodious outbuildings. There he successfully carried on general farming until his death Jan. 27, 1915. Taking his deepest joy in his family and his farm, Mr. Evenson did not care to mingle in political life, but was nevertheless deeply interested in public affairs, and kept himself well informed upon current topics. He was a good citizen, a loyal friend and a loving father, and his loss was sincerely and deeply mourned. Mr. Evenson was married April 21, 1881, to Mina Johnson Skogen, who was born in Holmen, La Crosse County, this state, Sept. 16, 1859, daughter of Andrew and Anna Marie (Anderson) Skogen, natives of Vardal, Norway, who came to America in 1850, located in La Crosse County, and there spent the remainder of their days. Mr. and Mrs. Evenson have had ten children: Albert Manley, May Pauline, Albert Manley (second), Selma Luella, Hulda Josephine, Cora Charlotte, Mabel Amanda, Lawrence Ernest, Edmund Melford and Mildred Ovida. Albert Manley, born June 5, 1882, died at the age of thirteen days; May Paulina, born June 19, 1883, died at the age of two and a half years; Albert Manley (second) was born Dec. 25, 1885, and died at the age of one year; Selma Luella was born March 25, 1887, and is now the wife of John H. Johnson of Harshan, Wis.; Hulda Josephine was born Dec. 25, 1888, and is now the wife of Otto Tomter, who farms the home place; Cora Charlotte was born Feb. 6, 1891; Mabel Amanda was born Feb. 26, 1894; Lawrence Ernest was born Feb. 23, 1896; Edmund Melford was born Nov. 17, 1898, and died Sept. 13, 1908; and Mildred Ovida was born Jun 15, 1906. The family faith is that of the Norwegian Lutheran church, in the Ladies' Aid Society of which Mrs. Evenson is a prominent member.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 690
Bernt O. Evenson, who is engaged in general agriculture on a farm of 154 acres in section 33 E, Gale Township, was born in Ringseger [sic], Norway, Nov. 25, 1864, son of Ole and Mary (Hovey) Evenson, who were natives of the same place. The parents came to America with their family in 1867, locating in Holland township, La Crosse County, Wis., where the father died about 18 months later. His wife remained in La Crosse County until 1888, buying land in Stevens Township, that county, in 1875. From 1888 to 1895, in which year her death took place, she resided in Trempealeau County with her two sons, Andrew and Bernt O.
The subject of this sketch was the third born of four children. He attended school in Stevens Township, La Crosse County, and began industrial life at the early age of 9 years, being employed by neighboring farmers to herd cows and do other jobs of which he was capable, and in time he became a regular farm hand. When 22 years old he began working on Black River, having charge of a log driving crew. After being thus occupied for two summers he and his brother Andrew bought a farm in Gale Township, which they operated together until the death of their mother. Bernt O. then sold his interest in the property and bought his present farm, which was partly cultivated, and on which he has cleared 35 additional acres. He has also made a number of improvements on the place, his buildings being modern in construction and equipment. He is a stockholder in the Farmers' Exchange at Galesville, the Arctic Springs Creamery and the Independent Harvester Company at Plano, Ill., also a stockholder in the Farmers' and Merchants' State Bank at Galesville.
Sept. 26, 1890, Mr. Evenson was united in marriage with Anna Ekern, who was born in Gale Township, this county, daughter of Andrew and Olena (Emonson) Ekern. Her parents were born in Biri, Norway, the father May 19, 1834, and the mother Aug. 8, 1838. Andrew Ekern came to the United States when a young man, settling in Coon Valley, Vernon County, Wis., where he bought land. Later, while yet a single man, he moved to Lewis Valley, Holland Township, La Crosse County, where he engaged in farming and was there married. Coming subsequently to Trempealeau County, he homesteaded land adjoining the farm now owned by his son-in-law, Mr. Evenson. Andrew Ekern developed the farm which is now operated by his son, Gustav Ekern. He was a man of intelligence and force of character and at different times held local office. He died Nov. 18, 1916, and his wife died March 29, 1914. They were the parents of six children, of whom their daughter Anna was the fourth in order of birth. She was educated in the Norwegian parochial school. Mr. and Mrs. Evenson have five children: Adell Augustus, Orville Milford, Arthur Marvin, Emma Augusta and Roy Chester. Mr. Evenson belongs to the Order of Beavers. He has served as treasurer of the school board for six years and for a number of years as road overseer, rendering good service in each capacity. In politics he is independent, with a leaning towards the Republican party. He and his family are members of the Lutheran church at Hardie's Creek. Industrious and enterprising, he is one of those who have the ability to extract wealth from the soil, and is doing his full part in developing the agricultural resources of his township.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 421 - 422
Peter Evenson, deceased, was born in Norway and was there educated and grew to manhood. He was married in Norway to Maria Dahl. In 1854 they sailed for America, settling that same year in Dane County, Wisconsin, near Blue Mounds, where they resided until 1870. They then came to Trempealeau County, where they became representative and influential farmers. The wife Maria passed away on the farm, July 12, 1893. Mr. Evenson then made his home with his daughter, Mrs. E. B. Anderson, until his lamented death, Aug. 2, 1901. They were the parents of nine children, of whom but two, Julia and Carrie, are now living. Julia is the widow of A. W. Anderson and resides with the E. B. Anderson family on the old farm now owned by E. B. Anderson, and of which her lamented husband was for many years owner and operator. Carrie is now Mrs. E. B. Anderson. The other children: Even, Erik, Mathias, Edward, Edward (2d), Mary and Carrie, all of whom died in infancy.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 549
Ebert S. Everson, one of the thriving agriculturists of Preston Township, is a native of Wisconsin, having been born in Springfield Township, Jackson County, Oct. 24, 1858, son of Syver and Helene (Pederson) Everson. He was reared to agricultural endeavor and to that line of work has since given his attention. For seventeen seasons he devoted his time to threshing, and for thirteen years he conducted two cream routes. In 1887 he purchased 40 acres of his father's farm, and to this he has since added until he now owns 186 acres of fertile and highly improved land in sections 26, 27 and 34, Preston Township. He has christened his place the "Fairview Farm," and here he now carries on general farming and dairying with good financial results. Mr. Everson is a director in the Preston Creamery Company and a stockholder in the First National Bank of Blair. For three years he did good service as town supervisor, and for twelve years as school clerk. He is a charter member of Camp No. 2576, Modern Woodmen of America at Blair. Mr. Everson was married June 4, 1884, to Anna Kjelson, who was born in Pierce County, Wisconsin, Feb. 14, 1861, daughter of Arne and Karen (Pederson) Kjelson, natives of Norway, the latter of whom died in 1909. Mr. and Mrs. Everson have a family of five children: Sevilla, who died when 10 days old; Mabel Elvira, born July 13, 1888, who graduated from the Blair high school with the class of 1907 and has been a teacher for nine years; Alice Selmine, born April 21, 1891, who graduated from the Blair high school with the class of 1910, and was a teacher for seven years; Elmer Alfred, born April 18, 1894, who is a student in the agricultural college at Onalaska, Wis., and resides at home, and Myrtle Constance, born Aug. 16, 1896, who graduated from Blair high school with the class of 1915 and resides at home. The family are members of the United Norwegian Church, of which Mr. Everson is a trustee.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917", pages 659 - 660
Henry I. Everson, manager of the Pigeon Grain and Stock Company, of Whitehall, was born in Arcadia Township, Trempealeau County, May 7, 1886. His parents were Knudt and Matilda (Tande) Everson. The father, a native of Norway, came to the United States with his parents in 1856, the family settling in Dane County, Wisconsin, where they remained until 1861. They then came to Trempealeau County, where Knudt Everson engaged in farming, and where he died in 1893 at the age of 56 years. His wife, Matilda, who was born in 1842, is now residing with her daughter, Mary, the wife of A. E. Brandon, a farmer of Pigeon Township. They had a family of nine children: Ever K., who is engaged in the implement and automobile business at Neche, N. D.; Matthes, a resident of Whitehall; Maria, above mentioned; Pauline, who married W. H. Clark, of Seattle, and died in 1912; Alfred T., who is cashier of the First State Bank of Bowesmont, N. D.; Clara, wife of Albert Mattson, a monument dealer of Detroit, Minn.; Ida, wife of William Young, a merchant and postmaster of Lostwood, N. D.; Clarence, a barber, living in Winger, Minn., and Henry I., of Whitehall. About six years after his father's death, Henry I. Everson and his brother, Clarence, rented the home farm, which they operated together under the name of Everson Bros. until the spring of 1906. He also went to school during the winters in Whitehall, and for two years during the period mentioned he was interested with his brother, Alfred, in mercantile business at Stephen and Donaldson, Minn. From 1906 to 1914, Henry I. Everson operated the home farm for himself, buying it in 1911. He still maintains his interest in it, making a specialty of breeding pure Shropshire sheep, and now having a herd of over 200. Feb. 1, 1916, he became manager of Pigeon Grain and Stock Company, of Whitehall, in which position he is now serving. He is a stockholder in this company, also in the State Bank of Independence, the Peoples' State Bank of Whitehall, in the Farmers & Merchants Bank of Independence, and in the Telephone Company, of which in 1914 he was treasurer, secretary and general manager; secretary and treasurer of the same in 1910, 1911 and 1912, and treasurer in 1916. His first connection with the telephone company was in 1909, when he became its secretary. His fraternal affiliations are with the Independent Order of Foresters, Masons, and Modern Woodmen of America.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 698 - 699
Syver Everson, a pioneer of Jackson County, was born in Julberg, Solar, Norway, in 1832, and at the age of 20 he, with his brother Ole and one sister, Mrs. Andrew Olson, together with others from their neighborhood, left on June 22, 1852, for America. They stayed at Christiania about two weeks before sailing. Leaving Christiania they went on board the sailing vessel Incognito and were on the Atlantic ten weeks and four days, landing in New York on Saturday morning, September 4. The following Tuesday they left New York, going to Wellsboro, Pa. They then went to Coudersport, that state, and from there traveled on foot 60 miles to Bergen, settling one mile from that place in what was known as Ole Bull's colony. The valley where they settled was called Oleann, and in time a town grew up. The students who had come over on the Incognito and joined the colony soon became dissatisfied with the land they found and composed that well known Norwegian song "Oleanna." That section of Pennsylvania was then only a wilderness, many of the trees being so large that it took three men to reach around a single tree. It took Syver, with his father and brother, a whole year to clear an acre of land. In 1853 Syver Everson was married to Helene Pederson Svenbykvernen, a young lady who had crossed the ocean on the same ship, and for five years they continued their residence in the colony. On May 13, 1858, they left for Wisconsin and came to Trempealeau, from there traveling on foot 34 miles to the home of Mr. Everson's cousin, John Koien, who then lived near the Trempealeau Valley church. After remaining there one year, they moved, in April, 1859, to Ole Tappen's place in Porter Cooley, now known as Tappen Cooley. Here they bought 80 acres of government land, moving onto it that fall and making a home, and later adding more land to the farm, where Mr. Everson resided up to the time of his death, Aug. 29, 1911, at the age of 79 years and 14 days. He was survived by his wife, Helene, and four children: Mrs. Cassandra Anderson of Superior; Ebert S. of Preston, Peter of Blair, Wis., and Mrs. Ole Dahl of Preston; also by a brother John, residing at White Earth, N. D., who is now dead.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917", page 659
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000