Histories: Trempealeau County Historical Accounts:
"History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917":
BIOGRAPHY - F SURNAMES
Nels S. Fagerland, who is successfully engaged in business as proprietor of a good general store in the village of Eleva, Wis., was born in Deerfield, Dane County, Wis., June 25, 1883. His father, Gunder O. Fagerland, was born in Norway in 1857 and came to America in 1881, settling in Dane County, Wis., where he resided until 1893. He then removed to Curran Township, Jackson County, which is his present place of residence. Our subject's mother, in maidenhood Brunhilde Sundnas, was born in Norway in 1860. Nels S. Fagerland remained with his parents until 1909. Then, with Clarence Thompson, his brother-in-law, he bought the general store of A. E. Amundson in Eleva, and they carried on business together until May 1, 1915, when he came to his present location, buying the store in company with Oscar Wold, who, however, lived but one year after. After Mr. Wold's death his wife continued the business with Mr. Fagerland until March 1, 1917, when his brother Olaf purchased her interests, the firm now being Fagerland Brothers. Mr. Fagerland was married March 30, 1907, to Isabelle Thompson, who was born in Jackson County, Wis., April 27, 1881. Her parents, Thomas and Martha (Anderson) Thompson, were farming people of Jackson County, where the mother died in 1911. Mr. and Mrs. Fagerland have two children: Violet and Harley. Mr. Fagerland has served as village clerk for three years, as a member of the council four years and as school director three years. He and his family belong to the United Lutheran Church. Since coming to Eleva they have made many friends and are increasing in prosperity from year to year as the result of honest dealing, enterprise and frugality.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 638 - 639
Chester I. Field, garage man and automobile dealer of Osseo, was born in the village where he now resides, Aug. 18, 1891, son of Horace A. and Zoe (Shephard) Field. Horace A. Field was born in Richland County, Wisconsin, came to Sumner Township, this county, in 1861, with his parents, was reared on the farm, and devoted his life to that occupation and to keeping a hardware store in Osseo. He died in 1913 at the age of 62, while his wife died in 1896 at the age of 36 years. In the family there were six children. Roy died in infancy. Genevieve is secretary to Superintendent L. D. Harvey, of the Stout Institute, Menominee, Wis. Her twin, Elinor, is the wife of Bartlett Cole, an attorney of Portland, Ore. Martha is a teacher in the primary grade of the Osseo schools. Marshall F. is an insurance agent at Osseo. Chester I., the youngest of the family, received his early education in the schools of Osseo and Menominee. For a time he helped his father operate the farm. In the spring of 1911 he established his present business. He handles the Chevrolet cars, does general repairing, and carries a full line of accessories and supplies. His financial holdings include stock in the State Bank, of Osseo; the Farmers Exchange Bank, of Osseo, and the Osseo Telephone Company, in the latter of which he is the vice-president. His fraternal affiliations are with the Masonic order and the Modern Woodmen. Mr. Field was married Oct. 29, 1915, to Mrs. Ella (Stearns) Bradley, born in Fairchild, Wis., May 14, 1881, daughter of Charles and Barbara Stearns, who conduct a hotel in Fairchild. By her previous marriage to Charles Bradley, a traveling salesman of St. Paul, Mrs. Field has a daughter, Louis.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 618
Robert C. Field, a sturdy pioneer of this county, was born in Cairo, Greene County, N. Y., May 6, 1804, son of Robert B. and Sally (Austin) Field. He grew to manhood in his native State, became a leading man in his community, and did distinguished service in the New York Assembly in 1844. In 1849 he came to Wisconsin, and located in Richland County. Here his former reputation preceded him, and 10 years after his arrival he was sent to the Wisconsin Assembly. After completing his duties at the State capital, he came to Trempealeau County, and located on section 16, in Sumner Township. As before, he speedily became a leader among his fellows, and in 1874 he was sent to the State Senate. While conducting his farm, he bought and sold cattle and also dealt in real estate. He died Jun 16, 1876, sincerely honored and mourned. Mr. Field was married Jan. 1, 1837, to Harriet M. Graham, who died a few months after their marriage. April 1, 1838, he married May Stoddard, who was born Nov. 3, 1815, and died Jan. 2, 1901, a daughter of Neri and Triphena (Beebe) Stoddard. Mr. and Mrs. Field had seven children: Harriet, who married E. S. Hotchkiss; Stoddard, a prominent man of Osseo; Robert D., Francis E., Horace A., Hiram H. and Mary E., who married C. D. Van Hoesen. All are dead except Stoddard.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 667
Stoddard Field, one of the leading men of Osseo, has been an important factor in the upbuilding of the community. He has taken a deep interest in all the big enterprises of his day, has led an active life, and has been a useful and worthy citizen. He was born at Cairo, Greene County, N. Y., Aug. 19, 1842, son of Robert C. and Mary (Stoddard) Field, the pioneers. For many years he lived on the home farm near Osseo, carrying on agricultural operations while engaged extensively in stock dealing, and also handling considerable real estate. For a time he was a merchant at Osseo. In connection with his stock buying, he held for a considerable period the contract for furnishing meat for woodsmen in Northern Wisconsin. Sometimes he bought, killed and dressed as high as 100 head of cattle a day, to be shipped to Ashland, Wis., from which point it was distributed. Mr. Field is now living a retired life in his pleasant home in Osseo, where he is deeply beloved by all who know him. Mr. Field was married Jan. 1, 1871, to Martha E. Robbins, a teacher in Eau Claire, born in Marquette County, Wis., Feb. 25, 1850, daughter of E. W. and Laura (Pond) Robbins. E. W. Robbins was born in Lennox, N. Y., Feb. 24, 1821, and was married in 1846 to Laura Pond, who was born in Camden, N. Y. They came to Marquette County, Wis., in 1843, and to Eau Claire County in 1854, farming three miles east of Eau Claire until his death, Feb. 20, 1904. Mr. and Mrs. Field have two children: Leslie H., born Nov. 19, 1871, farms near Osseo. Clarence W., born Feb. 8, 1874, is a lumber dealer in Osseo.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 668
Alexander B. Flemington, who for many years was a leading farmer of Trempealeau Township, was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland, May 31, 1826, son of James and Mary (Dove) Flemington. He was descended from an honorable and worthy ancestry. His parents had but two children, he being the younger, and the elder being a sister. In 1842 he came to America to establish a home for his family and first located in Rhode Island. The following summer he traveled west as far as Michigan and finally made a settlement in East Greenwich, R. I. In 1844 the father was followed to the new country by his wife and son, with whom he went in the following year to Taunton, Mass., where, being an engine driver by occupation, he found employment running an engine for a manufacturing company. The parents came to Trempealeau County to join their son, but after remaining one year they returned to Rhode Island,w here they subsequently remained until their death. Alexander B. Flemington was about 18 years of age when he came to America with his parents. He worked in the muslin de laine print works at Taunton, Mass., and then returned to East Greenwich, R. I., going thence to Southbridge, Mass., where also he was employed in the print works. In 1848 he came west to Milwaukee, where he remained five years and during that time learned the trade of carriage making. he was married in that city Aug. 20, 1851, to Mary Taylor and subsequently removed to Walworth County and engaged in wagon making. In 1855 he came to Trempealeau County and engaged in agricultural pursuits. Here his death occurred in July, 1911. For the last eight years of his life he had been a widower, his wife having passed away in May, 1903. Their children were: Alexander D., Elizabeth F., Jessie, Allen J., Andrew F., Mary and Ada. Alexander D. took a course at the Wisconsin State University. He was also for some time teacher in the intermediate department of the Trempealeau school and went thence to Whitehall, where he was principal for one year. He studied law with Judge Newman and was graduated from the law department of the State University of Wisconsin. In July, 1874, he located in Ellendale, Dakota nd was there honored by being chosen a delegate for circuit judge. Elizabeth F. is the widow of Louis Tatro and resides at Thompson Falls, Mont. Jessie is now Mrs. George Cummings. Allen J. resides at Finlayson, Minn. Andrew J. is deceased. Mary is now Mrs. William Suttie of Trempealeau County, Wis. Ada, who is now deceased, was the wife of William Walker.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 792
Clif Ford, who in company with his brother-in-law, George G. Gibbs, is engaged in the implement business in Trempealeau Village, was born in this village Sept. 9, 1868, son of Alfred P. and Lizzie D. (Heald) Ford. His education was acquired in the graded school of Trempealeau, which he left at the age of 16 years, after passing the grades, in order to learn the printer's trade in a local office. After working at that trade for five years in the village, he went to La Crosse, Wis., where he was employed for two years on the Daily Chronicle. At the age of 23 he entered the employ of the Chicago, Burlington & Northern Railroad as bridge builder and was thus occupied until the spring of 1900. In the meanwhile, April 5, 1891, he had married Jessie J. Gibbs, daughter of O. E. and Louise (Grant) Gibbs, at Trempealeau Village. In the year 1900 he went to South Dakota, to the farm of his father-in-law, O. E. Gibbs, near Arlington, on which he resided four seasons. He had already homesteaded a tract of 160 acres of land near Pierre, S. D., on which he lived eight months to meet the requirements of the law. This land he subsequently sold without improving it. In the fall of 1904 Mr. Ford went to Sioux Falls, S. D., and worked for Sherman & Bratager, a transfer house handling farm machinery. Here he did general work, both as clerk and in the shipping department, remaining until the following year. He then returned to Trempealeau Village and was unemployed until the spring of 1906, when he again entered the service of the Burlington Railroad as bridge builder, remaining with them until October, 1913. He then engaged in his present business in Trempealeau Village, in which he is meeting with good success. Aside from this he is a stockholder in the Trempealeau Lime Products Company, and has also subscribed for stock in the proposed creamery. In politics he is a Republican, but has held no political office. His fraternal affiliations are with Lodge No. 2813, Modern Woodmen of America, of which he is clerk at the present time. Reared a Baptist in religion, he supports church work, but is not a member of any religious body. He and his wife have had five children: Arthur Neil, born May 25, 1892, at Trempealeau, who is unmarried, and is engaged in the auto repair business at Omaha, Neb.; Harold George, born in November, 1894, also at Trempealeau Village, who is unmarried, and a civil engineer by profession; Edith, born at Arlington, S. D., in 1901, who is attending the Trempealeau Village school; a child that died in infancy, and Jessie, born July 10, 1909, at Trempealeau, who is attending school in the village.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 355 - 356
Mrs. Lizzie D. Ford, now living retired in the village of Trempealeau, Wis., of which she is a highly respected resident, was born in Norridgwock, Maine, Nov. 13, 1841, daughter of William and Esther (Cutler) Heald. The parents were married, Dec. 29, 1840, at Farmington, Maine, where they resided for some years subsequently, the house in which they lived being still standing. William Heald was born Sept. 24, 1816. He was of a roving disposition and finally came west to Trempealeau County, Wis., settling in Trempealeau Village, where he died Oct. 6, 1896, at the age of 80 years and 12 days. For the last 18 years of his life he was blind. His wife Esther was born Nov. 24, 1814, and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ford, in Trempealeau Village, Dec. 6, 1890. She was a charter member of the Trempealeau Congregational Church. To William and Esther Heald were born two children: William E., Oct. 15, 1846, and Lizzie D., the date of whose nativity has been given above. William E. Heald was a farmer all his active life and died Jan. 4, 1916, at Mendota, Wis., leaving a wife and one daughter, Gertrude, who is now living in Trempealeau Village. Lizzie D. Heald acquired a good education and in early womanhood taught seven terms of school in Trempealeau County. She was married, April 4, 1866, to Alfred P. Ford, of Trempealeau, the marriage taking place at Galesville, Wis. Mr. Ford was a native of New Hampshire, born in Haverhill, that State, Aug. 27, 1829. At the age of 26 years, in 1855, he came West, settling in Trempealeau Village, this county. For many years he served as county surveyor of Trempealeau County. In 1857 he built the residence to which after marriage he took his bride. From 1876 to 1883, the year of his death, he was engaged in the furniture business in Trempealeau, after which Mrs. Ford carried it on for several years, but finding the care of her family and the management of the business together too much for her powers, she sold the business to her son Clif and has since lived retired. She has four children: Clif, Fred C., Nora and William, all of whom are living but William, who died at Arlington, S. D. Fred, Mrs. Ford's second son, married Mabel Graves, of Trempealeau Village, and has six children: Lester, Ruth, Lynn and Lytle (twins), Fred, Jr., and Charles H., all of whom are living. Nora, Mrs. Ford's only daughter, married Thomas Growt, of Trempealeau Village, and has one child, William who is now a student. Mrs. Ford, though not a member of any church, is greatly interested in church work, in which she gives active aid and assistance, her closest affiliations being with the Methodist Episcopal church.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 356 - 357
Emile Francar, proprietor of a well equipped drug store in Galesville, was born in Red River, Wis., June 25, 1877, son of Anton and Jennie (Lewis) Francar. The father was a native of Belgium, who on coming to this country settled near Green Bay, Wis., where for thirty years or more he was employed by the cooperage company's plant. He and his wife, who was born in Wallon, Wis., now reside at Green Bay. They had 14 children, of whom Emile was the fifth in order of birth.
Emile Francar was educated in the schools at Green Bay and subsequently took a course in pharmacy, receiving his degree in May, 1898. He resided at home until 1901, when he came to Galesville and associated himself in the drug business with Dr. Edson Rhodes in the Rhodes building. In 1903 he purchased from F. H. Fiedler the Galesville pharmacy, which store he now conducts. This store is one of the Rexall stores. Mr. Francar is one of the successful business men of Galesville. Since coming to this village Mr. Francar has identified himself with the interests of the village and county, taking an active part in different local organizations. He served as trustee on the village board of Galesville, and is at present secretary of the Business Men's Association, and president of the Trempealeau County Fair Association. Mr. Francar was married Nov. 7, 1902, to Clara Langenohl, who was born in Winona, Minn., daughter of Fred and Mary (Webber) Langenohl. Her father, who was a shoe manufacturer, is now deceased. His wife, surviving him, resides in Galesville. Mr. and Mrs. Francar have one child, Genevieve Delphine.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 453
Nels L. Fredrickson, agriculturist, public official and man of affairs, is one of the leading citizens of the county. He did most efficient service as county sheriff in 1893-94, as under-sheriff in 1895-96, and as county treasurer in 1907-11, and since the spring of 1914 has been a prominent member of the county board, sitting as the member from Whitehall, which village he has served for two years as president. The career that has involved this has served for two years as president. The career that has involved this unusual amount of public work has been a most interesting one. The son of Fredrick Nelson and Isabella Larson, he was born in Christiania, Norway, Jan. 26, 1856, and after the death of his father, at the age of 10 he was brought to this country with the rest of the family, by his mother and step-father, George Reitzel. After a year in Ettrick, he came with the family to Preston Township, and was here reared to agricultural pursuits. In 1877 he started out for himself by securing employment in the lumber and machinery business with C. N. Paine & Co. at Whitehall, remaining two and a half years. For a number of years he was in the hardware business. He had a part in the building of the block on the site of what is now the Model Block, later destroyed by fire. Upon his election as sheriff he moved to the official residence and at the expiration of his term purchased his present farm, where he has since continued to reside. The place consists of nearly a quarter of a section in the southeast corner of the village of Whitehall, and is a modern farm in every particular. He has a fine herd of high-grade Holstein cattle, a good drove of Poland-China hogs, and makes a specialty of breeding Brown Leghorn chickens. His interest in his herd led to his connection with the Whitehall Creamery Association, which he served for a time as president, and of which he has been secretary and manager since 1914. The success of this institution is a strong tribute to Mr. Fredrickson's management. With all his busy work, he has found time for the development of his social qualities, and has taken a deep interest, passing through the chairs of the local order, serving as district deputy, and sitting as a member of the Grand Lodge of the State. Mr. Fredrickson has been excellently described as a useful citizen. Combining a genial disposition with sterling worth and an ability to make friends, he has won his way in the world and has achieved a most satisfactory degree of success. Mr. Fredrickson was married Nov. 6, 1896, to Mary Allen, who died Nov. 3, 1902. Her parents were Martin and Elizabeth (Ackerman) Allen, the former of whom is dead and the latter of whom is proprietor of the Allen Hotel at Whitehall. On. Jan. 1, 1910, Mr. Fredrickson married Sigrid Kildahl, who was born in Norway, daughter of Ole and Martha Kildahl. Mr. and Mrs. Fredrickson have four children: Isadora M., born Oct. 6, 1910; Sigrid L., May 27, 1912; Nels L., Jr., May 11, 1914, and Junice Waunita, June 14, 1917.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 704
Ole Fredrickson, who as proprietor of Brookhill farm of 167 acres, in section 25, Pigeon Township, is taking an active part in the development of the agricultural resources of this township, was born in Stor Hammar, Hedemarken, Norway, March 25, 1857. His father was Fredrick Olson, a railroad man, who died in Norway in 1881, and whose wife, Helen Olson, is now living in Christiania, Norway, at the age of 87 years. It was in May, 1881, the year of his father's death, that the subject of this sketch came to the United States. Following the trail of most of the Norwegian pioneers to the great Northwest, he located at Whitehall, this county, but for about a year was employed near Osseo at farm work. For 15 years Mr. Fredrickson worked for various employers, in the meanwhile saving his money and looking forward to the day when he should be able to begin an independent career. When the time came, having decided upon agriculture as the readist means of attaining prosperity, he bought a farm in Curran Township, Jackson County, this state, and taking up his residence upon it operated it for six years. Then, for substantial reasons, he decided to make a change of location, and accordingly purchased his present farm in the southeast corner of town 23 north, range 7 west, Pigeon Township, where he has since remained. Acting on progressive ideas, he has made various improvements on the place, one of the most important of which is the barn erected in 1905, and measuring 34 by 80 by 16 feet, with an eight-foot basement, and provided with running with hot and cold running water and Delco plumbing throughout. In 1917 he installed an individual electric light plant in his house and barn. On the farm is also a concrete silo, 14 by 30 feet. Mr. Fredrickson has a herd of 31 Holstein cattle, seven being pure-bred and registered. Of this herd he milks 15. The farm is conducted on a profitable basis and he has taken his place among the successful and prosperous citizens of his township - a result achieved by hard work and perseverance, aided by a competent knowledge of all the various branches of the farming industry. The farm is an historic one, the original home of Nils Jensen Tomten, built in 1870, being still standing thereon. Mr. Fredrickson has been treasurer of the local school board for nine years, serving two years as clerk. He is also a stockholder in the Pigeon Grain & Stock Company and in the Whitehall Hospital. Mr. Fredrickson entered in to the married state about 14 years ago or more, Mrs. Mattie Tomten becoming his wife Oct. 29, 1902. Mrs. Fredrickson was born in Norway Dec. 8, 1866, a daughter of Torger and Regina Thorson. The Thorson family came to America in 1876, settling in Pigeon Township, this county, where the father died in 1913; his wife died Sept. 28, 1916. Their daughter Mattie was first married to Gilbert Tomten, a son of Niels Jensen Tomten by his wife Berte Olsdatter, both natives of Norway, where the father was born April 8, 1815, and the mother Jan. 13, 1815. Coming to America in the spring of 1866, with their family, Mr. and Mrs. Tomten bought the farm on which the subject of this sketch, Mr. Fredrickson, now lives, and this place was their home until their respective deaths, Niels J. Tomten passing away March 30, 1882, and his wife Nov. 12, 1891, the latter surviving her husband over nine years. Their two sons, Gilbert and John N., after their death divided the farm between them, Gilbert taking the part now owned by Mr. Fredrickson, the farm as a whole having a larger acreage, and this he operated until his death, Nov. 14, 1900. He was born in Biri, Norway, Dec. 2, 1863, his marriage to Mattie Thorson taking place May 13, 1900. They had one child, Robert Tomten, born April 1, 1891, who is now residing at home. Mr. and Mrs. Fredrickson are the parents of two children: Fredrick G., born July 20, 1903, and Mildred Helen Olive, born Jan. 20, 1912. The family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 633 - 635
George Young Freeman was born in the village of Quakerstreet, Schenectady County, N. Y., Aug. 13, 1827. He was of Puritan and Knickerbocker Dutch ancestry. He received an academic education at Union College at Schenectady, and in 1843 came to Wisconsin with the family of his Grandfather Young and settled at Elkhorn, Walworth County. At Elkhorn he pursued the study of law with Judge Gale, and in 1852 went to New York and entered the office of Judge Waterman, then judge of the Marine Court of that city. He remained in that city six years, coming to Galesville in 1858 to visit his relative, Judge Gale, the founder of Galesville. He remained here a short time, returning to New York to sever his connection with Judge Waterman before entering upon the practice of law in the west. The spring of 1859 found Mr. Freeman admitted to the bar and permanently located here. When Mr. Freeman settled in Galesville he found located here Romanzo Bunn, engaged in the practice of law. The late Capt. Alex. A. Arnold also was installed in an office and united law with surveying. Galesville was then the county seat, and the old courthouse was the scene of many a legal contest with these three as advocates. Mr. Freeman at once came into prominence as a lawyer, and his reputation soon spread over a wide territory. In 1862 he was elected district attorney for Trempealeau County, but a steadily growing practice demanded most of his time, and in the active years of his life he found little time for political office. In the earliest years of his life he was a Whig. He voted for Lincoln in 1864 and Grant in 1868, but after that time he was affiliated with the Democratic party. He was once the candidate of his party for congressman in this district, and later was named for state senator against the late Senator Withee. The district was then comprised of Trempealeau and La Crosse Counties. Mr. Freeman carried La Crosse County, but the overwhelming Republican majority in Trempealeau County elected Mr. Withee. In 1888 President Cleveland called Mr. Freeman to Washington as principal examiner of land claims and contests. Of the dozen lawyers employed in this branch of the Department of the Interior, Mr. Freeman was recognized as an authority. It was during his service at Washington that the famous Oklahoma decision was handed down. The findings in this case were written by him, although the document necessarily appeared over the signature of the head of the department.
Mr. Freeman remained in Washington under President Harrison a year after the Democratic administration was retired. A few years later he sold his office and equipment. Later he associated with him his son Robert, and the firm of Freeman & Freeman continued until 1898. Mrs. Freeman died in 1896, and from that time Mr. Freeman gradually lost interest in business affairs. Mr. Freeman was ever a man of affairs, and he had much to do with the making of Galesville. When the Trempealeau County Agricultural Society was founded in 1859 he was the first in the movement and piloted it through its infancy. As the first secretary of the society the record books show the interest he took in the organization. His penmanship in the old secretary's book is like copperplate engraving. He was a power in the building of the railroad from Trempealeau to Galesville, and was secretary of the company that promoted the road. In this movement he was tireless in his efforts. When Galesville was incorporated Mr. Freeman was its first mayor. Along in the nineties he served in this capacity a second time, when he was elected to fill the vacancy caused by the death of W. B. Thompson. That was a year when Galesville was a dry town, and in after years when he thought the generation that followed him extravagant in city affairs he delighted in saying that when he was mayor he ran the town on nothing but the poll and dog tax. Not the least of Mr. Freeman's exploits was the development of the Arctic Springs, which property passed into the hands of a syndicate a few years ago. While he spent considerable money on the springs and in getting the water before the public, his peculiarities prevented his interesting capital or winning the co-operation of the public in marketing the product. In the early days of Galesville University he was prominent in its affairs. He was also one of the first to organize a Burns Club here. In fact, in all things for the betterment of the community in his active years he was a conspicuous figure. Mr. Freeman was a man of fine personal appearance, well groomed, polished in his speech, and when in the mood, had the politeness of a cavalier. While never a member of any church, he was one of the few men in Galesville in his time who regularly attended church, and all his life he was a liberal contributor to the Presbyterian society. He was a charter member of Decora Lodge, F. & A. M., but he had not been affiliated with the lodge for twenty-five years. Mr. Freeman is survived by his three sons: Edwin W., a prominent attorney and promoter, living at Los Angeles, Cal.; Robert, also a lawyer and man of public affairs, residing at Corona, that state, and Rev. Charles E. Freeman of Galesville, who temporarily retired from the ministry some years ago that he might care for his father in his helpless condition.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 292 - 294
Albert H. Fremstad, an enterprising and prosperous agriculturist, proprietor of the Fremstad Farm of 160 acres in sections 3 and 4, Pigeon Township, is a native of Wisconsin, having been born in Vernon County, Nov. 27, 1871. His father, Hans A. Fremstad, was born in Nordland, Norway, in 1838, and came to the United States in 1857, residing for some years in Vernon County, this State. In December, 1871, he came to Pigeon Township, this County, taking the farm on which his son Albert H. now lives, and which he cultivated for many years, or until his retirement from active labor. He still, however, makes it his place of residence. His wife, whose maiden name was Andrena Nilson, was born in Norway in 1834, and died Oct. 1, 1916. Albert H. Fremstad was an infant scarcely a month old when his parents came to Trempealeau County and took the land since known as the Fremstad Farm. Here he was reared, attending the local schools in boyhood and also beginning at an early age to acquire a knowledge of agriculture. This knowledge was of a most practical kind and at times involved considerable labor, but in performing it he was laying the foundation of his present prosperity. In this work he was associated with his father until 1898, when, with his brother Anton, he purchased the farm and it was carried on by them under the name of Fremstad Bros. until the spring of 1915, since which time Albert H. has been the sole proprietor. The improvements are extensive and up-to-date, and include a barn, 32 by 60 feet, with basement, and shed on the north side; a solid concrete silo, 14 by 36, built in 1913; a tobacco shed, 40 by 144, and a good two-story house of 12 rooms. Mr. Fremstad has four acres planted in tobacco. His herd of cattle numbers 40 head, of which he milks 20. Mr. Fremstad was married March 27, 1901, to Clara Hougen, who was born in Osseo, Trempealeau County, Wis., April 4, 1875, daughter of Mat and Gurina (Prestegaarder) Hougen. He and his wife have six children, born as follows: Hazel, Jan. 4, 1903; Clifford, Nov. 9, 1904; Palmer, March 15, 1908; Glen, March 6, 1910; Maynard, Oct 31, 1913, and Ernest Milton, June 30, 1917. The family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 627 - 628
Anton H. Fremstad, proprietor of Corn and Clover Farm in sections 4 and 9, Pigeon Township, was born in section 4, town 22, range 7 west, just north of his present farm, Aug. 5, 1873, son of Hans A. and Andrena (Nilson) Fremstad. The father was born in Nordland, Norway, in 1838, and came to the United States in 1857, settling in Vernon County, Wis., from which place he came to Trempealeau County in 1871, accompanied by his wife and children then born. He bought a farm in section 4, Pigeon Township, and cultivated it until he sold out to his two sons, Albert H. and Anton H. He still, however, resides on the old homestead. His wife, Andrena, who was born in Norway in 1834, died Oct. 1, 1916. Anton H. Fremstad was the first child born to his parents after they came to Trempealeau County. He worked for his father until the year 1900 and then, with his brother, Albert, purchased the homestead, the two brothers operating it in partnership until 1906. they then bought the farm now owned by Anton H. and operated the entire property until the spring of 1915, at which time they dissolved partnership and divided it, Anton taking the farm he now has, and which consists of 120 acres, 40 acres of which lie in section 4 and the remainder in section 9. The buildings on the property include two houses, one of seven rooms, and the new modern home just completed, of 10 rooms. Hot water heat, water system, electric light, bath and all complete. The barn is 32 by 50 by 12 feet, with an 8-foot basement and concrete floors, and a concrete silo, 14 by 30 feet, built in 1912, all the buildings being substantial and in good condition. Mr. Fremstad was vice-president of the Pigeon Grain and Stock Company, and has been its president for the last three years. As one of the responsible citizens of his township, he has devoted some time to public affairs, having served three years as township supervisor, and he is also a trustee of the Norwegian Lutheran Church, to which he and his family belong. His wife, to whom he was united April 11, 1908, was in maidenhood Christine F. Lovlien, and was born in Pigeon Township, Nov. 28, 1885. Her parents were natives of Norway, the father, Frederick Lovlien, who was born in 1840, settling in Pigeon Township, this county, in 1872, and residing here engaged in agriculture until his death in 1913. The mother of Mrs. Fremstad, whose maiden name was Goro Bjornstugen, was born in 1850, and is still living on the old homestead with her sons, Andrew and Olof. Mr. and Mrs. Fremstad have been the parents of four children: Herman, born Jan. 22, 1909, who died at birth; Gladys, born Jan. 22, 1911; Harold, born July 20, 1913, and Hulda, born Sept. 22, 1915.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 438 - 439
Edmund C. French, D. D. S., now of Eau Claire, this state, has practiced in that city since 1874. He has attained prominence in his profession, and was a member of the Wisconsin State Dental Board of Examiners, as well as president of the Wisconsin State Dental Society. His fraternal relations are with the Masonic order, and his politics are those of the Republican party. Dr. French was married Jan. 27, 1867, to Esther Edwards, who was born in Salem, Penn., and this union has been blessed with four children, Myrta, Ernest E., Dwight Day and one who died in infancy. Myrta, known as Madam Kursteiner, the Wisconsin Nightingale, is a famous grand opera singer. She lives in New York, and is the wife of Jean Paul Kursteiner, a composer of some note, and the director of music at Bryn Mawr and Ogontoz Colleges. She has been soloist for the Strackash Grand Opera Company, of London, Berlin, Paris and Vienna with Madam Nellie Melba and Madam Phoebe Strackash, and leading soprano with the International Grand Opera Company, Andews Grand Opera Company, Sousa's Band, the Walter Damrosch Orchestra and the Siedel Orchestra in this country. Ernest E. is a dentist in Osseo, Wis. Dwight Day is an interior decorator at Minneapolis.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 617 - 618
Ernest E. French, D. D. S., has practiced his profession in Osseo since 1909, and has established an admirable reputation. His office is equipped with the most modern appliances, and his standing is shown by his membership in the Eau Claire, Chippewa and Dunn County Dental Society, the Wisconsin State Dental Society and the National Association, as well as in the dental college fraternity, the Gamma Epsilon. Dr. French was born in Eau Claire, Wis., March 18, 1876, son of Dr. Edmund C. and Esther (Edward) French. After passing through the public schools of his native city he entered the Dickinson Seminary at Williamsport, Penn., with which preparation he studied three years in Hamline University in St. Paul, and Macalester College in Minneapolis. His dental training was received in the offices of his father in Eau Claire, of Dr. Frank Brooks, in Charleston, Ill., and of Dr. Jason Lyons in New York City. For four years he had charge of the Chicago Dental Laboratories at Chicago, and in 1905 established the Reliable Dental Laboratories in the same city, which he conducted for some two years. Then he practiced in Eau Claire for a while before coming to Osseo. Dr. French was married Aug. 8, 1906, to Lillian K. Spencer, who was born in Genesee County, New York, June 10, 1871, daughter of Alanson and Mary (Thorp) Spencer. Dr. French has one daughter, Mignon.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 617
Stanley Clark French, one of the leading stock farmers of Trempealeau County, and a business man widely known throughout this section, his farm being located in section 29, Gale Township, was born on this farm Oct. 3, 1869. His parents were Henry and Parmelia E. (Clark) French, the father born at Kingsfield, Maine, in 1834. The mother was a native of the same place and was somewhat older than her husband. Henry French was trained to agriculture in his youth, but subsequently worked in a sawmill in Pennsylvania, to which state his parents were removed. He came to Wisconsin in 1856, driving a yoke of oxen from Monticello, Green County, Wis., to Trempealeau County, his father having arrived here in the previous year. The latter bought 400 acres of land from Judge Gale, of which land Henry purchased a part and started to break it up, using his team of oxen for that purpose. His tract consisted of 170 acres adjoining the village limits of Galesville, and here he resided until his death in April, 1898. He became a prominent man in this locality, serving as assessor and chairman of the township board for a number of terms, and also assisted in founding the Bank of Galesville. He served two terms as county treasurer and was serving his third term at the time of his death. His wife survived him some years, dying Jan. 12, 1905. They were the parents of three children: Lunette, now Mrs. D. C. Burns; Clinton H. of Concord, Calif., and Stanley C. Stanley Clark French acquired a good practical education, after attending the Galesville high school, spending one year at Galesville University and one year at Winona Business College. Previous, however, to taking the commercial course, he taught school at Decorah Prairie one year, beginning at the age of 16 years. After leaving the business college he returned to the farm for the summer. Subsequently he was employed in the Bank of Galesville for about eight months and then went to Minneapolis, where he worked the next summer. He next removed to Grand Forks, N. D., where, however, he remained only a short time returning to Minneapolis, where he passed the next winter. The summer following was spent on the farm, after which he spent a winter at Gale University. When the warm weather again came around, he joined a surveying expedition bound for the Missouri River, leaving Williston, N. D., and going to Bismark in the same state. On the completion of this work he was at home for 18 months. The summer following was that of 1893 and Mr. French obtained a position as guard at the World's Fair held in Chicago, serving until the fair closed. From Chicago he went to Philadelphia, where he spent six months. After this he was superintendent for a brush contractor int he state reformatory at Huntington, Pa., until the following year, when he returned to Galesville and took charge of the homestead. His father dying in the following April, he has since remained here as proprietor of the estate, which now contains 343 acres. In addition to general farming Mr. French makes a specialty of breeding Guernsey cattle and Shropshire sheep, besides hogs, and keeping a large stock of each on hand, making extensive shipments every year. Mr. French is also vice-president of the Bank of Galesville, secretary of the Galesville Farmers Exchange, treasurer of the Trempealeau County Farmers Mutual Insurance Company and a director of the Farmers Packing Company of La Crosse. He is also a stockholder in the Arctic Springs Creamery Company and was its president for ten years, besides having been connected with various other local enterprises, including the Trempealeau County Fair Association, and organizations of wide scope, among which may be mentioned the Wisconsin Fine Stock Breeders' Association, the Shropshire Register Association and the western Wisconsin Guernsey Breeders' Association. Mr. French has made valuable improvements on his farm, among things having rebuilt the old family dwelling, which he has turned into a fine modern residence, installed with every convenience. The Farmers Exchange, mentioned above, of which Mr. French is secretary, is now doing a business of $75,000 a year, but his executive ability enables him to attend to his official duties in connection with it, in addition to managing his won large business, which has grown from year to year. His farm is recognized as one of the best stock farms in the county and he is continually adding to its equipment and facilities. Mr. French was married July 27, 1898, to Mollie D. Arnold, daughter of Capt. Alexander A. and Mary J. (Douglas) Arnold, her father being for many years a prominent citizen of Galesville and Gale Township. Mr. and Mrs. French have been the parents of three children: Henry Clinton, born Jan. 1, 1901; Mariam Helene, born April 12, 1902, and Arnold Stanley, born April 1, 1905. In politics Mr. French is a Republican but has not held office, having preferred so far to devote his time solely to his various business interests.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," pages 402 - 404
Anton N. Freng came to Trempealeau County in 1875, and has live don his present place of 160 acres in sections 27 and 28, Sumner Township, since 1883. As chairman of the town board of supervisors he has served on the county board eleven years, he has been assessor seven years, and clerk on the school board for twelve years. His financial relations are with the State Bank of Osseo, his business holdings include a half interest in his son's furniture store in Osseo, and his church connections are with the Hauge Norwegian Lutheran congregation, of which he has been secretary nearly a quarter of a century. As a modern farmer he keeps well abreast of the times and takes great pride in the development and improvement of his estate. Mr. Freng was born in Ringsacker, Norway, July 31, 1852, and was brought to America by his parents, Nels and Bertha (Johnson) Haakenson Freng, living with them in La Crosse, Wis., two years, before coming to this county. He was married July 10, 1880, to Louise Huskelhus, born in Biri, Norway, Feb. 20, 1862, daughter of Peter Arneson Huskelhus and Sedsel Jorgenson, who came to America in 1877. Mr. and Mrs. Freng have four children: Bernt A., Peter N., Sena E. and Albert L. Bernt A. is a furniture dealer and undertaker at Osseo. He has two children, Mildred and Nels. Peter N. is employed in a garage at Osseo. He has two children, Blanche and Sena. Sena E. died at the age of twenty-five years. Albert L. farms with his father. He has two children, Anton and Elmer. Nels Haakenson Freng settled in Golden Valley, Sumner Township, in 1875, and five years later moved to Hale Township, remaining there until he took up his home with his son, Anton N. Freng, where he lived until his death in 1905 at the age of 79 years. His wife, Bertha Johnson, died in Sumner township in 1878 at the age of 67. Before locating in this county they had lived in La Crosse, Wis., to which city they came from their native land of Norway in 1873.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 619
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000