Histories: Trempealeau Co. Historical Accounts:
"History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917":
-As transcribed from page 56
In 1731 the Foxes, being temporarly subdued, another expedition to build a Sioux post was placed in charge of Rene Godefroy, sieur de Linctot. With him went his son, Louis Rene, Augustin Langlade, and his brother, Joseph Jolliet, grandson of the explorer; one Campeau, a skilled blacksmith, brother of the one at Detroit, and Father Michel Guignas, chaplain of the expedition.
They arrived on the Mississippi in the autumn of 1731, and, according to the official report, built "a fort On the Mississippy at a Place called the Mountain * * * (a Montagne qui trempe dans l'Eau) * * *"19 The winter did not pass without events. During the deep snows food became so scarce that Linctot was obliged to send his voyageurs and traders to winter in the camps of the Indians. One of the voyageurs, named Dorval, had a thrilling experience with refugee Foxes, fleeing from an attack of mission Iroquois and Detroit Huron. Later some of the same fugitives came to Linctot to beg for their lives. The Sioux began coming in large numbers when they learned of Linctot's presence, and a camp of Winnebago wintered near by.
The succeeding years were replete with danger and difficulty for the officers and traders of the little Sioux post. Although the Foxes had been defeated and large numbers of them had been destroyed, desperate remnants remained scattered over the western country, and attacking parties of mission Indians and others allied with the French made frequent excursions to harass the wretched fugitives. The Sioux promised protection to the French, but their situation among the fierce belligerents was almost that of prisoners. In April, 1735, one of the Jesuits wrote from Quebec: "We are Much afraid that father Guignas has been taken and burned by a tribe of savages called the renards."20 The anxiety in Canada over his fate was allayed, however, the same summer, when Linctot finally arrived in the colony, bringing an immense quantity of beaver skins and other peltry.21 He reported that he had left Father Guignas with but six men at the little fort in the Sioux country, and asked for himself that he be relieved from command.22
Resources for the above information:
19 - Ibid., 151, 168, 169.
20 - Thwaites, Jesuit Relations (Cleveland, 1900), LXVIII, 255.
21 - Wis. Hist. Colls., XVII, 230.
22 - Thwaites, Jesuit Relations, LXVII, 281; Margry, Decouv. et Etabl., VI, 572, 573; Wis. Hist. Colls., XVII, 274, note.
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000