Histories: Trempealeau Co. Historical Accounts:
"Trempealeau County" by Clarence J. Gamroth:
Russell was named from William Russell who came to the county in 1864 and located in Burnside Township. When the postoffice was opened in Burnside Township, there was considerable controversy over the name. About 20 years ago, the office was moved to Chimney Rock Township where mail was received three times a week, until the office was discontinued by reason of the establishment of the rural delivery system. The school district is still known as the Russell district.
-Transcribed from the "History of Trempealeau County Wisconsin, 1917," page 274
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000