Histories: Trempealeau Co. Historical Accounts:
"Trempealeau County" by Clarence J. Gamroth:
Communities: Caledonia Township
Caledonia Township, 1948
The Town of Caledonia was set off from the Town of Gale and the Town of Trempealeau on Nov. 11, 1857. The early history of Caledonia is very interesting. That was the period of ox teams. Horses were yet to come and the automobile was undreamed of.
Among the earliest setttlers was Alexander McGilvroy, born in Scotland, who established a ferry across the Black River near the site of the McGilvroy bridge. It is probable that the town's name, Caledonia, which name the Romans gave that part of Scotland between the Firth of Forth and Clyde, and occupied by the tribe of Caledonic when they invaded that country, was suggested by him.
At one time there was a considerable settlement on the banks of the Black River at McGilvroys place. Much of the travel of that day was over the ferry. McGilvroy had an inn or hotel, where travelers frequently stopped. also, there was a store, blacksmith shop, and other lines of trade. The first post office was in McGilvroy house and was listed as Scotia, also a Scottish name. Later the post office was moved to what was known as the Four Mile House, another roadside inn, operated by Christian Schmitz. The house still stands. On the second floor was a large hall which was used for dances, etc. The Four Mile House was a stopping place for farmers when hauling wheat to market at Trempealeau on the Mississippi River. There was no railroad in that part and reliance was on steamboats on the river to transport the products to other areas.
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000