Histories: Trempealeau Co. Historical Accounts:
"Trempealeau County" by Clarence J. Gamroth:
Schools: Cripps School
The Cripps school, District A01 was formed about 1867 or 1868. It was one of the first schools to be built in Trempealeau County. The Farmers school was the second one.
The land was donated by the Cripps family, hence the name of the school. The first school was a small white frame structure. Fifty to sixty pupils attended school ranging from age seven to twenty. Lillian Dale taught the school in 1882. She later became Mrs. Fred Cripps.
In 1894, a brick school house was built. It still stands.
The neighboring farm home of Tom Kwosek is 85 years old. It was the first post office in Independence, Wisconsin.
(Comment by Clarence Gamroth: The Kwosek house referred to above was originally the home of Dell Cripps, one of the first settlers in that area. In 1968, the house still stands, but is unoccupied. During the years it had additions made and now is a sprawling two story home.)
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000