Histories: Trempealeau Co. Historical Accounts:
"Trempealeau County" by Clarence J. Gamroth:
Schools: New City School
New City School, 1948
The first school in this district was located on the farm owned by Lee Hutchins. It was built of logs. In 1870, a frame school was put up. it had no basement. Still later a brick school house was built. It still stands.
New City, at the junction of Co. Trunk X and Hwy. 93 was a small hamlet consisting of a flour mill, blacksmith shop operated by Albert Bautch, a farmer. Nick Rumpel operated a tavern and dance hall. New City disappeared when a railroad depot was built at the site of present day Independence. The locality is still called New City.
Early settlers in the district were George Kuka, John Smith, Abraham Berghee, Steve Baker, Tom Gamroth, Joe Tomaske, Peter Kuhn, Peter Bautch, Tom Matchey and Emil Graul.
The school term was for 6 months and the teach was paid $25.00 per month and had to do all the janitor work.
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their own ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 2000 - 2012
All Rights Reserved
This website was established on 31 Oct 2000